Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
It's a bit greedy tho

Did you contribute a camera qbert?

Please see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=743

Please post here to let me know.
qbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you think it's so easy and cheap to run a free Speed Camera database and give it away, please do so.

Erm yes ok I will - how constructive and mature a response - i can only assume you of course did it all yourself did you?

Some people have no idea? ok - i bow down down to your evident superior knowledge. Can't remember saying that road angel was cheaper tho but never mind eh?

I didn't contribute a camera - i didn't realise i had to to put in my opnion.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i can only assume you of course did it all yourself did you?

No - didn't say i did but was just defending those that do the work on this database. Not sure what your point is really. You seem to think that the people who put the database together should absorb the costs of putting it together and delivering it.

Quote:
Can't remember saying that road angel was cheaper tho but never mind eh?

I didn't say you did. I was just pointing out that the alternatives to paying are much, much more expensive. I can't see why you think i think you mentioned a Road Angel as all is said was "Compare £19 a year to the cost of something like a Road Angel..." but never mind eh?

Quote:

You don't and i didn't say you did. Why do you think you did.

Try reading what i DID say and not what i didn't.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Quote:
If you can afford to tax, insure, fuel, MOT and service a car and buy a GPS system then £19 is nothing to help keep your license clean. I don't expect PocketGPSWorld will be making millions off the back of the charging

You are actually out of order here. How do you know what someone else's finances are? They may be struggling to tax, insure, fuel, MOT & service a car, and they may also have saved hard to buy a satnav system. You also do not know how much money PGPSW are making. Instead of knee jerk reactions why don't you accept that other people have opinions and answer them with hard but fair facts instead of synicism. As Rob wrote earlier, there will always be people with differing views.
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there will always be people with differing views.

Quite so - can't disagree.

Perhaps I'm out of line here, but PaulB2005's point seemed eminently reasonable to me. £19 seems a good insurance policy against a £60 (?) fine and points. It's a good deal. Don't need to know how much PGPSW are making, but the service provided (all aspects of the website, not just the camera database) is good value for money. Thumbs Up

BTW, didn't detect the cynicism bit...... Laughing
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are actually out of order here.

Am i ACTUALLY or just YOUR opinion? I think not.

Quote:
How do you know what someone else's finances are? They may be struggling to tax, insure, fuel, MOT & service a car, and they may also have saved hard to buy a satnav system.

Fair enough i don't know what someones financial situation is, but in the grand scheme of things and taking into account the price of fuel, the cost of a sat nav, road tax, insurance and an MOT £19 is not much to add to the annual bill. That's 37 pence a week. 37 pence!! What else can you buy for that? If you can't afford that then how someone runs a car i'll never know.

Quote:
You also do not know how much money PGPSW are making

I did state that "I don't expect PocketGPSWorld will be making millions..." which indicates i don't know how much PGPSW is making. However in the same way I don't know how much profit Sainsburys make from the contents of my shopping trolley each week but i don't accuse Sainsburys of being unfair for profiting from selling the goods someone else grew / made.

The database has a value many times time it's own cost. It takes time and effort to collate the data and costs money to distribute it in bandwidth costs. Any one can see if the database helps you avoid one speeding fine in a year then you have saved more money than the database cost a couple of times over.

Everyone wants something for nothing....
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are actually out of order here.

Am i ACTUALLY or just YOUR opinion? I think not.

You think not (that's your opinion). The majority of comments on forums are made up of some opinions. You said that £19 is nothing (that's a fact) You are wrong (that's a fact), as it depends on your finances whether £19 is a lot or a little (that's a comparison).

You also said
Quote:
Compare £19 a year to the cost of something like a Road Angel which does the same job but costs something like £2-300 to buy plus £50 a year!!! "£19 pa is too much" some people have no idea....

How can you compare £19 a year to the cost of a road angel and £50 subscription. Your comparison isn't equally matched (that's a fact).

Let everyone have their opinion without reacting by saying they have no idea and people always want something for nothing.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:

Not to put in your opinion but don't you think you're a little bit out of order for complaining about having to pay for a service when your not contributing to the database?
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
Quote:

Not to put in your opinion but don't you think you're a little bit out of order for complaining about having to pay for a service when your not contributing to the database?

I understand what you are trying to say here, but does this mean that you have to pay and contribute? or did you mean that he did not contribute before the charge? I think £19 isn't a lot to some people, and is a lot to others. When you do the maths it shows a different light. If there is 25,000 registered users and half of them take the subscription out that's £237,500 a year. That should cover salaries and verification etc. I'm not knocking paying for the database, just the amount.
Oh! & I am a fully paid up member.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can you compare £19 a year to the cost of a road angel and £50 subscription. Your comparison isn't equally matched (that's a fact).

No it's not, and that was my point. It wasn't supposed to be an equally matched comparison.

As far as i can see if any driver doesn't want to pay £19 for the PGPSW database but wants Speed Camera warnings then their only option is to use something like the Road Angel. My comment was designed to show how the PGPSW database at £19 per year is much better value that any other such option when cost is a factor. For about £150 plus £19 a year you can get an i3 and the PGPSW database. A Road Angel or similar will cost you twice that to buy and twice that in the annual subscription plus you won't have the advantage of Sat Nav.

Quote:
Let everyone have their opinion

I am.

Quote:
they have no idea and people always want something for nothing.

That's my opinion.

I'm trying to make reasoned arguments by showing how the cost of the database is reasonable compared with alternatives and when factoring the high cost of motoring and how much it can / will save you. I'm not reacting to people's opinions in general - just comments like "It's a bit greedy tho"
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think £19 isn't a lot to some people, and is a lot to others.

If someone thought "well £19 a year i can't afford that" i bet they'll be kicking themselves when they get a fine for going through a Speed Camera they didn't know was there. I'll bet it's more than £19 too....

So where does it end?

£18?

£12?

£8?

£1?

Quote:
When you do the maths it shows a different light. If there is 25,000 registered users and half of them take the subscription out that's £237,500 a year.

But you don't know how many did pay, or how many pay the £2 a month option, or how many have a free subscription. In fact it's entirely possible that in the future more people will have free lifetime membership than paying members. So each paying member will actually be paying for 2 people.

Also neither of us have any idea on how much it costs to run the database and the site.Might be cheap now but in the future with more and more free lifetime memberships given away the cost per user / download might go up considerably.

Maybe if profits are found to be excessive the price will come down.

At the end of the day £19 isn't a lot in the annual cost of motoring.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
I am.

Quote:
they have no idea and people always want something for nothing.

That's my opinion.

So lets call people worse names and justify it by saying "That's my opinion" You accused people of not knowing anything and that's wrong. You accused people of always wanting something for nothing and that's wrong (unless of course it's right because it's your opinion).

Quote:

But you don't know how many did pay, or how many pay the £2 a month option, or how many have a free subscription

If you read my post I put my assumption there for everyone to see. I said IF.

You obviously upset the person concerned judging by his following post. Let people have their opinion without showing your exasperation by saying they know nothing.

Quote:
Maybe if profits are found to be excessive the price will come down.

Maybe, Darren also said this. We will have to wait & see.[/b]
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys lets bring the temperature down here please? As for the comment regarding profits, we have always planned to plough money back into the site and that is what we will do.
johnmacca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: chill out Reply with quote

Come on guys we are talking just over 6p a day.... seems reasonable to me.... jeez even a penny chew is 2p :-)
chick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to save money and not worry about speed canera database costs, just don't speed and save lives.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 38 of 44

Jump to: