Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The PocketGPSWorld.com Garmin Nuvi review.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The PocketGPSWorld.com Garmin Nuvi review.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: The PocketGPSWorld.com Garmin Nuvi review. Reply with quote

The name Garmin has always be synonymous with GPS, but this is more in the handheld and marine GPS fields. Some of the StreetPilots are a bit dated and a little behind the rest of the street routing market. This all changed last year with the introduction of the new range of StreetPilots including the Garmin i3 and the Garmin Nϋvi. All of a sudden Garmin have catapulted themselves to the frontrunners in street navigation.

‘This is nice; this is very nice’ – These were MaFt's initial thoughts upon opening the box for the Garmin Nϋvi 300, Garmin’s latest offering in their Automotive Sat Nav range.

A slimline, multimedia beast; the Nϋvi utilises a SiRF III GPS receiver -to the laymen, myself included, this means incredibly fast satellite acquisition times and hardly any dropping. The Nϋvi even picked up a satellite signal indoors.

Click here to read the full review and find out what we think of the Garmin Nuvi...
markjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Having a TomTom One and a Nuvi 300 I find it hard to understand how you gave it such a good review!

As a basic navigation device it is absolutely inferior to the TomTom.

The only complaint was the autozoom being poor which it is.

What about the lack of visual guide for the next junction. The TomTom has a symbol showing the next type of junction and the direction to take so you know what is coming.

When selecting a postcode, you have to select country by pressing E for England, then select Englad, then enter the letter part of the postcode, then select the numeric keypad (as letters and numbers aren't shown on the same screen) enter the numbers (and space) then select the letter entry and finish. Once you have selected the postcode you have to choose GO. No indication of the distance or time to destination although you can view the intended destinaton on a map view.

Verbal directions are brief and not very well timed in comparison to the TomTom. The volume can't be set to increase with speed unlike the TomTom.

The speed camera database on the Nuvi is much better than the TomTom. By default it only alerts you audibly/visually when you get to within 5mph of the speed limit. Then continues to alert if you exceed the limit. This behaviour can be modified to always show camers, not alert when over speed etc by the use of free uploader software.

I like the size, the alerts, the battery life, the windscreen mount kit, the amount of memory included, that it can be better fitted in a car (switches on & off when ppower connected/removed). Some say the Navtech maps are better but I find both fine.

If you are using the device for navigation you will save money and get better navigation from the TomTom One. I can't believe any one who has used both for actual navigation could form any other opinion.

Kind regards,

Mark
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark you just answered my question.....

I like Garmin units ( I've owned four) but I'll stick with the TomTom for now.

Chris
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there have been a number of updates which cure the auto zoom issue unlike tomtom you can chose aoto zoom or not.
The update has other changes too so if you have any device any make keep checking for updates.
I have used most sat nav devices this is so far my best the size the main thing even the cradle fits in my pocket better than tomtom you have to see one to belive it . Wink
markjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamf wrote:
there have been a number of updates which cure the auto zoom issue unlike tomtom you can chose aoto zoom or not.

I have the latest update and the autozoom issue is improved but not cured. It is still zoomed out too far when trying to negotiate complicated junctions.

While you can't turn autozoom off on the Tom Tom it works just about perfectly. I accept that everyone has a slightly different opinion between the devices but I find it hard to accept that anyone who has used the Nuvi and the Tom Tom One for actual navigation (actually depending on it while travelling on unknown roads) could choose the Nuvi over the Tom Tom. I agree its size is better etc.

If you think the Nuvi is better for actual navigation over the Tom Tom I'd be interested in exactly how?

Kind regrads,

Mark
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was reviewing the nuvi as opposed to comparing it to another product, of which i haven't actually used other than holding one in my hand.

a review is an individual's opinion and will always vary between different people. what i tried to get across was a description of alll the functions it has and to say how well it did it's job with what you get as opposed to saying 'it should have this, this or that'...

MaFt
RobBickerstaffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi Opinion Reply with quote

I have a Garmin Nuvi 300. Previously, I had the BMW Business Sat Nav which I found to be fairly inadequate & a New Road Angel for speed cameras. Being somebody who does not want their dashboard cluttered with devices & wires, I wanted a system that could offer high quality navigation & warn me of speed cameras however I also wanted the device to complement the interior of my new car. I considered both the Garmin & the TomTom series of portable navigation systems. Clearly both have excellent features - some more useful to the individual than others - but basically for me, it boiled down to the fact that the Garmin is small, neat & well constructed. Having used it now for a couple of weeks, it is more than capable of achieving it's primary task of navigation & at just over £300 compared to £1,200 for the BMW option, I am delighted. Ultimately I feel that like the Audi, Merc, BMW argument, the choice between the TomTom & the Garmin Nuvi boils down to personal preference as both will clearly do an excellent job.

Finally, I have downloaded the speed camera warnings from this site & am very impressed with the coverage & the accuracy of the warnings.

Hope this helps? Wink
fozy1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have astreet pilotc310 i have downloaded the speed camera wrnings how do i install them thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fozy1 wrote:
i have astreet pilotc310 i have downloaded the speed camera wrnings how do i install them thanks

hi, you need to use the garmin poi loader software. there are full instructions in the 'need help' file included with the download - just double-click the zip file for it.

MaFt
borgman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the TomTom One and I am considering getting a Nuvi 300, because I need to have a device that covers Ireland which apparently this does.
hutchys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be my first sat nav so I need to get it right. Now the Nuvi 300&350 has come down in price.(I know new units are shipping 310-360 but these are the approx price of the TomTom's I think) would either of these units be a better bet than the new TomTom 510-710-910 units? The voucher in PC world brings the 910 down to £449 I am not sure on the price of the others. Does anyone have experience of either unit even though it is early days for the 510 etc.
Jim
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Using both Reply with quote

Using both, and not much it in to tell you the truth. Different, but both good

For easy of handling (slimmer device) and better map data (Navteq) I use the Garmin Nuvi (300) more (and it's new low price makes it excellent value if you shop around)

The New TomToms (910) are very feature rich, but are trying to (perhaps?) do too many things

With the Nuvi 300 almost half the price and better maps (and the new 310 not much more), I would say if a Nav Unit is what you want, it won't be beat. If you want to make your purchase a 20gb MP3 Player, intend honestly to be traveling abroad by car with the unit (TomTom 910 comes with USA, UK and Europe), then that is obviously better value...
Weebroonie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 300 Reply with quote

Hi,
I purchased the Nuvi 300 in December 05 and have found it very good. I had the Navman iCN 630 perviously, which I thought was good until I got the Garmin. This is so easy to use and very informative. I have even used the recommended carparks and eating establishments.

As I caravan the truck route is of special benefit to me as it avoids most of single track roads with passing places.

Question Can I upgrade the 300 to use European Maps.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote

Yes, either on SD Cards with European regions (expensive if going to more than one or two countries) or (i belive) their CD onto your own cards
markjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 300 Reply with quote

Weebroonie wrote:

As I caravan the truck route is of special benefit to me as it avoids most of single track roads with passing places.

Hi,

It has been stated by Garmin that selecting Truck on the Nuvi does not alter the route selection but only affects the arrival time. See other threads for how the Nuvi likes to choose single track roads Sad

Kind regards,

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: