Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Snooper S6-R Neo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Snooper S6-R Neo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, from the Origin website, referring to the £99 radar detector:

Quote:
It provides alerts for mobile K-Band radar traps.

So, basically, for full protection, you need a GPS based unit, but also radar and laser detectors, and you are still fully legal.

So, the main functionality differences between the Snooper and the B2 are:
- Snooper has both radar and laser detector built into a single unit (the B2 supports both, but as separate units)
- B2 supports GPS output for PDAs

Although I suspect they might well combine the two detectors into a single one in the future if they have any sense.

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to make that purchasing decision harder I have been in contact with Snooper to source a review S6 and what happens? They mention a hitherto unheard of model, the S4 which will be released in Dec. See the frontpage for details and picture.

I shall be reviewing the S4 and if it is not intended as a replacement for the S6 I will try and get one of them in for review too.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the nice things about the S6 and Origin B2 is that the mobile camera detectors and the GPS unit are separate to the display allowing the display to be mounted (using a nice dash mount).

The S4 seems to have the laser detector built in, which implies it has to be mounted on the top of the dash with line of sight (whereas the S6 laser / radar detector is waterproof and can be mounted behind the front grill for example).

I suspect it will be cheaper, and I would have thought they would sell both models alongside each other (there must have been a lot of development of the S6 to replace it so quickly)

Steve
Dang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay which one do I get argghh!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang wrote:
okay which one do I get argghh!
Look at the specifications, look at how they work, and then choose - only you will know which is the best unit for you.

EG The difference between the S4 and the S6 seems to be the separation of the detectors from the display - on my car mounting on top of the dashboard is difficult due to a high lip at the front, and the dashboard is rarely level, hence a unit with a separate display is better.

I've already listed the key differences between the S6 and the Origin B2 - if you want a full featured system (including both mobile radar and laser detection) these appear to be the only three units to consider.

Steve
Dang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly need it for mobile detectors and im worried about k band which the b2 doesnt support fully (extra 99quid) But i havent seen any reviews of the snooper
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang wrote:
I mainly need it for mobile detectors and im worried about k band which the b2 doesnt support fully (extra 99quid) But i havent seen any reviews of the snooper
Then I would recommend actually trying both units somewhere and seeing which you like best.

Both will do the job, although the B2 won't provide k band support until next year (at the additional £99), but either should work fine.

I guess what we need, once the S6 and S4 reviews are done is a decent comparative table on the features - Dang - if you do some simple Google searches I'm sure you'll find one or two of the main websites which do have comparative tables on the units, but I won't list them here in case the mods take exception to a post which could be seen to be promoting a competitor's website (I'm sure they won't, but I'm on other forums where they would)

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
but I won't list them here in case the mods take exception to a post which could be seen to be promoting a competitor's website

We don't mind competition, we're the best so have nothing to lose Thumbs Up Actually one of our 'friends' is UK Speedtraps who also review these devices.

Snooper are sending me an S4 & S6 for review. The S4 is intended to compliment rather than replace the S6. I'm also informed that the S4 will be able to use the same Radar/Laser Module as the S6 which costs £99.95 inc VAT and it does not have NMEA GPS out.

I will look at creating a features comarison chart of these devices. Hopefully the S4 & S6 reviews will be on-line mid December.

Last edited by Darren on Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right im gonna go with the b2 and pay the 99quid next yr if need be.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be dissappointed, as I said in my review I liked it so much I bought one :P
Dang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a good link to compare now:

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/Compare.htm
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Steve wrote:
but I won't list them here in case the mods take exception to a post which could be seen to be promoting a competitor's website

We don't mind competition, we're the best so have nothing to lose Thumbs Up Actually one of our 'friends' is UK Speedtraps who also review these devices.

Snooper are sending me an S4 & S6 for review. The S4 is intended to compliment rather than replace the S6. I'm also informed that the S4 will be able to use the same Radar/Laser Module as the S6 which costs £99.95 inc VAT and it does not have NMEA GPS out.

I will look at creating a features comarison chart of these devices. Hopefully the S4 & S6 reviews will be on-line mid December.

Darren,

Are you sure the S6 has NMEA GPS out? I've not seen it mentioned on any of the bumpf regarding this detector and would like to know if its possible or not as I'm picking one up from Costco once they have stock again Thumbs Up
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither the S4 nor S6 have GPS NMEA Out. It may not have been clear but i was simply trying to point out that the new S4 unit is the same as the S6 in not having this facility Sad
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a real pitty and such a waste as it could of been a great selling point. :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: