Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion TMC - Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion TMC - Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creative
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Medion TMC - Traffic Reply with quote

Well i just sorted my Medion Nav software and now using 5.1 , i have seen that you can get a TMC module from medionshop that will show the traffic info on the map as well.

Does anyone know if you need additional software for this or just the adpater/aerial
Jabbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have just picked up the item 2nd hand you are asking about :D You don't need extra software it is plug and play. Although my set is searching and receiving signals from many radio outlets so far I have been unable to get any traffic info Crying or Very sad I have put the ? as to why on the TMC forum but so far no replys. Regards John
MatthewClement
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the TMC board - I've replied there. Basically, it sounds like you're not receiving a strong enough radio signal, perhaps down to antenna position and/or reflective glass. Try outside the car to test the theory; then either position the antenna along the windscreen to improve reception or purchase a Y-adapter and take the signal from the external antenna.

Hope this helps.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabbie wrote:
Hi, I have just picked up the item 2nd hand you are asking about :D You don't need extra software it is plug and play. Although my set is searching and receiving signals from many radio outlets so far I have been unable to get any traffic info Crying or Very sad I have put the ? as to why on the TMC forum but so far no replys. Regards John

I have tried medion navigator 5 - and also dont get any traffic info. When plugging into a pda with destinator PN I get 50+ messages within seconds. 1/2 hour with MN5 and nothing, so it cant be signal strenth! which shows as full.

I still suspect that it isnt supported, as the software is based on Navigon that suported it in Version 4 - but not version 5? Are other SURE that have MN5?
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/sp/searchbox13/products.asp?partno=MIO269

States support for TMC except for the UK! It seems more likely therefore than MN5.1 also doesnt support TMC al la Navigon.

The only TMC software is therefore Destinator PN!
Lee_g3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I own a Mio 268+, which according to Mio runs Mobile Navigator 5.1.

I have also purchased the RDS/TMC connector, I run the FM antenna along the bottom of my windscreen, and in the majority of places, I always pick up a signal. There are some places where it does lose it eg Salisbury Plains, but most of the time I get good reception, and pick up loads of messages from TMC. I have left TMC on auto scan, so it constantly looks for a signal.

Is it because you are using this through a PDA, instead of a dedicated unit?
BishBosh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee just noticed your post....

I have had my mio 269 RDS/TMC receiver over a week now pluged in. I get many radio stations in autosearch tuning etc but no traffic info. I travel between cambs a14 area and Birmingham M6 etc still no tmc at all.

The system seems to work and tune in ok and I even try and "hold" classic fm when it has tuned in (full 5bar signal). Still no joy.

This TMC thing does not seem to work on the Mio 269.!! Any one else have any joy.

PS I have upgraded to ROm version 21 and the new mio map V2.0
creative
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea the cheapest place to get a tmc adapter for the Media PNA devices (i have PNv5)
Lee_g3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bishbosh

When you are navigating, do you only get 0 messages by the TMC icon then? I have had up to 45 - 50 messages in the past, there are areas where I get no signal, but it does usually find another signal after a while. If you click on the TMC icon when navigating, it should show you all the messages it has received, and you can scroll through all the individual messages.

The other thing I have found, is that the TMC will only work properly when it has power from the 12V power supply, if I try to run it without, it cannot power the USB connection, and so never picks up a signal.

Not sure if any of this helps, it does seem to be that the TMC is a bit hit and miss, maybe I have just been lucky. Smile
BishBosh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Lee,

Hmmm. Strange that you can get these messages.

1. Yes I only use it with the power on (conected to the car charger)
2. Zero messages (0) zip,nill,null, nothing!!!

I easily pick up a signall and the RDS station usually Classic Fm is shown under the MHz so I know it is working. See pic...... been like that for 2 days now.

I have installed TomTom then uninstalled when I got the RDS TMC antenna, do you think this might have made a difference?

It seems pretty easy to install infact its just plug and play so I cant understand why I dont get any messages... a bit frustrating really.

Lee_g3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you unlocked your Mio then, I assume you have in order to get TomTom onto it. Is it still unlocked, or have you restored it back to something like the factory default (if this is possible).

One other point, you were saying that you have upgraded the ROM to V21, I can only find V17 on the Mio website, could it be that V17 is the only one that supports TMC, not V21 Question Again, it might be worth trying to downgrade it to V17, unless you have a specific reason for using a later version.

Other than that, I can only think you have a dodgy cable, did you get it directly from the Mio shop.
Ossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: mobile navigator 5 tmc Reply with quote

Hi, I have a myguide 6500xl (which i believe is the same as the mitac mio 168). I have the original mobile navigator 5 by navigon installed and have also purchased a gns fm9 tmc receiver. I am having an identical problem to Bishbosh, and have always had this. Is it true that this medion navigator 5 is also made by navigon and it supports rds/tmc? If so, is there any place i can get it?

I apologise if this has been covered before, but i have tried to find such posts without success.
jase_31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell from research it is not supported!!!

Therefore why do certain people report that is it working? Are they using an old map? or is there a slightly different version out there? (i.e sony support TMC, and it is based on the same software)
Lee_g3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue when trying to decide whether to buy the RDS/TMC adapter, as I could never find any real proof that it would work. So I just took the plunge and bought one, and have had no problems with it since.

However, I have not changed anything on my Mio 268+, it has the original firmware, the latest version 2.0 Miomap software, and I haven't unlocked it at all. I also bought the RDS/TMC cable directly from the Mio Online Shop, which operates out of Belgium I believe.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: