Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom map activation problem and daft reply from TomTom Tec
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom map activation problem and daft reply from TomTom Tec

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveJay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: TomTom map activation problem and daft reply from TomTom Tec Reply with quote

Hi,
I posted this on the TomTom page but think it might be better answered here. I have Mio A201.
I am having problems having to re-activate maps each timed I change so I contacted TomTom, talk about unhelpfull! I hope Mio sort themselves out, it is far past the time when they should be issuing a firmware upgrade. They have a very good product in the A201 but the problems are p****g people off (well me anyway). Anybody else had this problem and solved it?
Steve

Question:
I have TomTom Europe which is working fine untill I switch to another map it then wants me to activate the map every time even though I have already activated it before.
My maps are on the memory card and the card is not write protected.
Surely this is not right how do i get it to remember that i have used the map before. It is very inconvenient when crossing boarders.

Answer:
you have a Mitac Mio A210. This is a incompatible device which means we did not put it on our public list for compatible devices. This list you can find here: http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=99&Language=3
The reason why you have the activation problems is due to the fact that your device is not compatible. We can not provide you with a proper troubleshooting to solve the problem.

We are sorry for your inconvinience.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time they are (half) right. THe Mio 201 is indeed incompatible. It changes device IDs every once in a while, and since the TomTom activation is based on a combination of product code and device ID it gets confused easily.

Sorry, tough luck. Complain to Mio.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take this up with MIO for a slightly different reason other than the tomtom incompatibility, I would not be happy with a device that changes its ID so easily, if (and I hope it doesn't) gets stolen what chance have you got getting the device returned by the Police if the device ID is changed so easily? The Police have little more to trace the device, serial numbers are too easy to damage and be rendered unreadable.
This is a MIO problem that needs resolving IMHO - Mike
SteveJay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
This is a MIO problem that needs resolving IMHO - Mike

I agree Mike, I have emailed Mio and suggested just that I will await their solution but I don't think I will hold my breath.
My other tack would be to put it back to the Supplier as I bought two of them they would have to refund nearly £600. But I don't like that too much, I used to be a retailer and it is not their fault but really they are the ones with the muscle not us.
I think the A201 is a great PDA but this as you say is a fundemantal problem that should not just be fixed with a work-around as with TomTom installation.
I will post their reply when I get it. But you retailers out there reading this ought to be kicking MIO hard.
SteveJay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a reply finally from Mio:

"Thanks for contacting Mio Technology Support.

According to the last official communication, the new patch will be available over 1 or 2 weeks.

We understand completely your disappointment and we hope to solve as soon as possible your inconvenience."

I wonder if the timescale is correct. If they solve the activation problems the A201 will be a very good PDA.

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: