Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin launch Topo Great Britain for Garmin GPS receivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin launch Topo Great Britain for Garmin GPS receivers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
british
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be kind - I'm new to this site and very green to GPS as it stands today.
I bought my first GPS in 1995 - the Mag GPS2000 and I'm still using it - but not for long!

Ordered myself a Garmin: GPSMAP 60CSx and was about to order the Great Britain TOPO until i started reading these threads - now i don't know what to do Sad

MikeB: You have it up and running . . what do you rek?

If there are any other actual GB Topo users out there with an opinion?

Many thanks, Mark
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bit about the topo maps on the Geocaching forums : http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=124527

Dave
british
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read, Ta
Andydug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of any websites that provide downloadable hiking routes for use with TOPO mapping on a GPS MAP60CS?
ernieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the GB TOPO and as yet can not find any routes with the Garmin format, however, there are some around using the GPS eXcahne format *.gpx

Not sure what area you want but take a look at the links

http://www.sheeptrails.com/getwalking.htm

http://www.walk-with-gps.co.uk/uk_counties.php

There must be others.

I will be using Anquet 6 once they release the supported version for the 60CSx.

Cheers

ernieb
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: TOPOGreat Britain Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
The trails are how shall we put it? Interesting? Some are there and some are not. Different paths are shown at different zoom levels. In theory there should be greater detail in the maps as the source is from much higher resolution data. I will be finding out what is happening here soon...

I went to the Outdoors Show in Birmingham the other day and finally managed to get to the bottom of the Topo GB paths and trails issues.

Ordnance Survey proudly tell me that the data provided to Garmin is the most detailed vector based data available. The accuracy of the contours and water features are quoted as being spot on... But there is little mention of the tracks and paths. I finally managed to tie a senior OS staffer down and drill down to the exact issues. Basically the reasoning is as follows:

When you look at an OS paper map there is full details of the rights of way shown on them. These rights of way are copyright the local authorities and are licensed to the OS for inclusion.

The Vector mapping data is far more accurate and in cities is is far better than the paper maps. But in the open countryside the OS does not have a license to include the rights of way. The Vector mapping data is mainly used for business purposes. The only path and track data included is that data that has been surveyed by OS surveyors. In the case of the most popular paths that I looked at in the Lake District they all seemed to be there. Obviously these had all been surveyed.

So it looks as if the quality of the off-road data can be very much dependant on where the OS surveyors have wandered...
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: TOPOGreat Britain Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Ordnance Survey proudly tell me that the data provided to Garmin is the most detailed vector based data available. The accuracy of the contours and water features are quoted as being spot on... But there is little mention of the tracks and paths.

From what I have seen, the tracks and paths are incomplete and significant parts are missing, trails aren't joined up, trails aren't routable and a lot of the detail is missing compared to OS maps.

Don't take my word for it though, have a look at Garmin's online map viewer at http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topogb.jsp and compare it to the OS map of the same area. I think there is no comparison.

Sorry Garmin, the reviewers here won't say it but I will: your topo maps are crap compared to the OS version... Confused
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy , I have to agree with you there! I have been waiting for the topo maps to come out and holding back from buying MM for my PPC as It needs too much looking after in outdoor conditions ,but after reading this latest info I shall kick the topo route into touch and re think MM.
I think Garmin have shot them selves in the foot as out door pursuits and the Geocaching community are growing and existing members are looking for the latest kit and especially as they have just launched the hardware to use the new maps..shame!!

Dave
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

As far as I can see Garmin have provided the best product they can with the available data. The issue is not with Garmin it is with the Ordnance Survey.

Garmin are unable to provide full data for rights of way as the OS doesn't provide it to them. The question is more why don't the OS license the rights of way information for their digital products?

I suspect that this may be a case of perceived usage and the 80-20 rule? The OS is far more likely to make more money selling the digital data to businesses and they are not interested in the open countryside. Therefore OS will concentrate on cities and towns. I would expect that over 80% of the OS revenue on digital mapping comes from businesses interested in urban areas. So this now becomes a question of supply and demand. Hopefully the OS will wake up and either license this information from the local councils or alternately survey each and every ROW that will allow us to have complete and accurate map data.

If we all start complaining to customerservices@ordnancesurvey.co.uk then maybe something will improve in the next release of maps...

Last edited by MikeB on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
shewbro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a Legend Cx and I walk all over the uk and I am considering purchasing the topo of great britain but would like to test it in earnest befor buying the full thing!

Are signle map sections available of the full topo to use with my curent map source? Could I get one for my local park so I can test it out?
n71000368
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TOPOGreat Britain Reply with quote

Just about to take the plunge with TOPO GB. I've tried to compare the
City Navigator with the TOPO Navteq layer and they appear similar but not identical (on garmin website). Should I be worried? I require comprehensive city centre and town streets and don't want to compromise for the sake of having TOPO although when I'm not delivering I enjoy the mountains so I'd really like to go for the combo.

Just treated myself to a GPS60CSX... any help in resolving what mapping sofware appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Yes it can. It does the routing based on the Navteq map layer so will only consider roads for routing.

The routing is not confusing, but is limited a little by the capabilities of the device. In particular there is no spoken instructions, but the turn by turn indications are there and the system re-routes if you go off course.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

I am not sure what comparisons you are making on the Garmin site, but my on the ground experience has not seen any problems with the street maps. All the streets that I have visited in the last couple of months have been on it.

There are issues with public footpaths off road. The quality and completeness of the paths will vary from poor to complete depending on where you are walking.
ScotJones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this something you get a code with so you can only use it with the one device? or can i put this across 2/3 devices i own?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScotJones wrote:
Is this something you get a code with so you can only use it with the one device? or can i put this across 2/3 devices i own?

This software is activated in the normal Garmin Mapsource manner using an activation code.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScotJones wrote:

If the license is the same as other Garmin mapping products then you can unlock and install it on two GPS units that you own.

MikeB wrote:
As far as I can see Garmin have provided the best product they can with the available data. The issue is not with Garmin it is with the Ordnance Survey.

I think Garmin should modify the firmware of the GPS units and allow users to upload and calibrate raster maps. Yes, the maps will take up a lot of space, but then again how much is a 1 Gig SD card costing these days? Not much.

I presume that Garmin make too much money from selling maps to allow people to use their own ones though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: