Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman Launch four new iCN SatNav Systems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman Launch four new iCN SatNav Systems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Navman Launch four new iCN SatNav Systems Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comLast Thursday PocketGPSWorld,com was invited to a special Navman Press briefing at the exclusive Morton's in Berkeley Square in London. The reason for this low key session was to give us a preview of the new Navman iCN range of SatNav devices.

It is becoming the norm in the GPS industry to put on big Press extravagandas, inviting all the press and industry to the launch. It was therefore refreshing to miss the hustle bustle and fighting for interviews, and have one to one discussions with the guys that count. We were fortunate to talk to Navman President Prash Vadgama, and the European Marketing Manager Martin Capel-Smith. We were allocated a 40 minute slot for the briefing, but tacticlly we went for the last session of the day at 16:00. Yep you guessed it: we didn't get away until 19:30, a very good 40 minutes. In this time we had a good chance not only to give the Navman guys a good grilling, but to play with the new toys as well...

Navman have launched four new devices and a revolutionary service. The new devices are: the iCN330; the iCN530; and a new top of the range iCN720 and iCN750. The new systems feature the latest SiRF GPS chipsets, and the iCN330 also has interchangeable facias.

The new service is NavPix™. Navman NavPix™ is a new service that uses image POIs. The concept is that you capture an image, and then navigate to it. So how do you capture the image? Simple, the new iCN7xx SatNav systems have an integrated camera.

Click here to read our full description of the event and our first impressions of the new devices...
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: New Navvies Reply with quote

Well it's about time as these were supposed to be out last month. I am still struggling with the concept of a camera on a sat nav. It was always put on a phone for extra selling value and lets face it it has done wonders for mobile phones, but on a sat nav? I get the feeling I am missing something as most people who have a new phone have a camera on it and those who don't will probably have a digital camera so why would you take a picture with your sat nav, I am sorry I just cannot see the application. One thing I have realised over the years with new technology is you want to play with it and see what you can change on it. Look at what is out there already customers want your camera database, new voices, change the pictures, add new stuff. Unless a new device allows you to change or add to add it is always doomed to the bargain bin. The bottom line will this help sell their new devices? only time will tell.

Stuart
www.celebrityvoices.co.uk
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the look of the display on the 5xx and 7xx looks very clear the info looks good too as for the camera as a concept its a good idea im ot so sure itll be a selling point though a little bit to gimicky

id like to see the camera with a voice capture for use in the event of an accident

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Navvies Reply with quote

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
I get the feeling I am missing something as most people who have a new phone have a camera on it and those who don't will probably have a digital camera so why would you take a picture with your sat nav, I am sorry I just cannot see the application.

You have missed the point. The point is not that it takes photos, but that it takes Geo-referenced images. These can then be used as image POIs to set as your destination.
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Navvies Reply with quote

Yes i see that but Joe Public will still see it as a camera they have over complicated it. I just don't see an application for it and would it help you get to where you want to go? and would it help sales? I just don't think so. Simplicity Sells! I just think the companies can do so much more with the products they already have out there. You don't buy a new computer every time one comes out you add to the one you already have so why would you keep changing your sat nav. Of course we will and I am sure most people on here will but will the mass market? I just think the Navman could do much better thats all, but what do I know? Thats the beauty of these forums.

Stuart
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well obviously time will tell if this will catch on or not. I thought much the same about putting a camera on my phone, but I have used it a quite few times. Obviously I still use my stills camera for taking "proper" pictures, and my video cam for taking video I want to keep. But the phone camera is there for the fun occasions when I need it.

Similarly with a new idea. NavPix could well be the greatest thing since sliced bread or it could be a lame duck... Who knows?

As for you analogy about computers, that just doesnt hold water. Over the years computers have increased in power, speed, capacity and complexity. Some people stick with the ones they have that work and do what they want them to do. Others upgrade because they want to access more functionality, features or whatever. Computer manufacturers have not held back because the original IBM PC was simple and did the job, they have pushed the envelope and PCs have evolved. Why should navigation stay in the dark ages just because less than 5% of drivers already have a system?

I suspect that Navman may be on to a winner here by focusing on Navigation and improving the navigation experience rather than branching into multimedia and telephony. But as I say who knows? time will tell...
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The iCN530 comes equipped with the very latest GPS technology in second generation SiRF Star III. It pinpoints your location even faster and improves reception in environments where there is a weak signal, such as areas surrounded by high buildings or dense foliage."

Can anyone tell me what this talk about "second generation SiRF Star III" comes from? Has Sirf released an improved version of Sirf III with newer circuitry? Is there a way to tell which version is used in a specific receiver?

Regards,
Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I asked a Navman bod about that, he said that it had improved power management and something else which has escaped me at the moment. Might have been instant fix technology, which is meant to be on the way.
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Navvies Reply with quote

Still it will be very interesting to see what happens. I agree that computers and all technology evolves but the general public are getting alot more savvy on the internet now and with the big buyers dropping the prices to get you in there stores it will be interesting to see what stores go with what device.
Well I am off to give my Tom Jones voice a knighthood!

Stuart
Fixer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: New Navvies Reply with quote

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
One thing I have realised over the years with new technology is you want to play with it and see what you can change on it. Look at what is out there already customers want your camera database, new voices, change the pictures, add new stuff. Unless a new device allows you to change or add to add it is always doomed to the bargain bin.

That's true for immature technologies, but once I get used to having it I stop bothering to customise it. Who apart from teenagers changes their mobile phone ring these days? I certainly don't base my purchasing decisions on how customisable a product is. Does it work? Is it value for money? Does the company provide quality long-term support?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Navvies Reply with quote

Fixer wrote:
Who apart from teenagers changes their mobile phone ring these days?

Ummm, me! Embarassed

Fixer wrote:
I certainly don't base my purchasing decisions on how customisable a product is. Does it work? Is it value for money? Does the company provide quality long-term support?

Nor do I but, if the thing is customisable, I like to explore all the options before settling on one configuration.
ShoxDr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the 7digit postcode will be made available for the 520s as I'm looking at buying one

Oh and this as you can see this is my 1st post, so Hi Guys N Gals, Great site learn't loads lurkin
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Navvies Reply with quote

Well we will find when they big guys start the ads June onwards to see reaction from the public, i am also really interested to see how Tom Tom gets on in Vegas next week I want to see how they take to the ipod idea.

Stuart
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoxDr wrote:
Does anyone know if the 7digit postcode will be made available for the 520s as I'm looking at buying one

Oh and this as you can see this is my 1st post, so Hi Guys N Gals, Great site learn't loads lurkin

It might be, but no details were available at the time of the launch. I would be inclined to wait for the 530 myself. Then you'd be sure of getting the full postcode data and have the option of TMC, not to mention a better GPS chipset.
@lexis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what this talk about "second generation SiRF Star III" comes from? Has Sirf released an improved version of Sirf III with newer circuitry? Is there a way to tell which version is used in a specific receiver?
Regards,
Ulf

Yes, the iCN 700 series use the latest SiRF III chipset called SiRF III LT: it is smaller and has 50% less power consumption. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: