Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which 256Mb SD card can 2210 owners recommend?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which 256Mb SD card can 2210 owners recommend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Which 256Mb SD card can 2210 owners recommend? Reply with quote

Hi I need to buy an SD card to store my TomTom maps which I thought was pretty straight forward until I started reading that there can be compatability problems with variious combinations 8O

I was tempted to go for a Sandisk 256Mb card (£52.87 from ebuyer) but I read there can be problems due to "wait state" changes that were made to the card. After reading further reviews of other manufacturers cards, compatibility seems to be a problem for a lot of SD cards. Confused

What have you got? Any problems? Any idea how much it was?

Thanks,

Ian.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2x512mb SD Integral's from ValueFlash and can highly recommend them.

http://www.valueflash.co.uk/SD_card.htm

256mb Integral works out at £61.59
512mb Integral works out at £174.48
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I want to go for one that has been tested. I have also gathered a lot of information on the recent Lands-End to John-O-Groats route calculation topic on the TomTom forum.

Ian.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the integral's have been fully tested and work without problems. Thumbs Up
Revvin_Kevin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Integral 128mb SD that came with my 2210 + Haicom package. Works great. BTW, would I be right in thinking CF is quicker than SD?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CF is a lot quicker, but you really don't notice the difference as much of the things you'll do on the Pocket PC won't demand fast access read/writes, the only thing I've found that does is 30mb MP3 files.
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave/Revvin Kevin

I know I am being very cautious here but there are two mentions of the Integral SD card on the Penzance to John O Groats route calculation thread in TomTom and they both come out with poor calculation times of 9min 26secs and 10min 20secs in a 2210.

I know this is an excessive scenario but are these the kind of calculation times you get Question

Thanks, Ian.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, one thing you have to consider is it's not just the SD card, but the reader itself, you get different readers in different Pocket PC's. I've just done a test on both of my 2210's I have here, both running Integral 512mb SD cards.

One came in at 2 mins 19 seconds, the second came in at 2 mins 21 seconds, and that's Lands End (coast) to John O'Groats (coast). 838.1 miles, total journey duration of 14h 28m 15s.

I can't vouch for the 128mb or 256mb Integral cards, but the 512mb is the dogs and I'm more than happy with them. In-fact I'm seriously looking at purchasing another 2x512mb Integral's, but I might have to wait and see what Santa brings (or help him on his way).
bobrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Why 512 rather than 256 Reply with quote

Dave, you recommended 256 SD cos of the better prices nowadays elsewhere in the forums (I think in the SysOnGPS review). Why would 512 be necessary for say UK only use if only for GPS use?
cheers
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends what you want to use your PDA for. Personally I have all GPS apps installed to the same 512mb SD card. Some people might want to install Audible to it which takes large audio files, or install MP3's, or install other large programs or ebooks to the SD card.

128mb is the bare minimum you need, seeing prices I would certainly recommend paying that £20 more and go for a 256mb card, because it gives so much more space. I've always found 128mb cards pretty tight by the time I start installing other apps/games.

If you are a realy die hard Pocket PC user like myself, then a 512mb or more is a must have. Personally I run a 1GB MicroDrive and a 512mb SD in my 2210's, and love it! I still don't quite have enough space, but that's because I have 3 hour DLS radio shows I listen to and each one is 30mb in size.
wijey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the Lexar Media x32 256MB/512MB SD cards to be the fastest currently available. They can be pretty hard to get hold of though...

If it is pure transfer rates you are after, it is hard to beat the Sandisk Extreme and UltraII CF cards Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: