Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Mapopolis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Mapopolis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Mapopolis Reply with quote

Please post any comments regarding the Mapopolis reviews here.
robpow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: New version Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for a very detailed review. It made me go and download the application (which is free) and some of the UK demo maps available on the www.mapopolis.com website. The latest version of the application is 4.28 and I've just taken it for a quick 15 min test drive around the local area and it seems from this short test that some of the features lacking in the reviewed version have now indeed been addressed. It told me about roundabouts ('take third exit' etc) and zoomed the map in and out so I could see exactly where to turn. The only slightly negative points so far is that I don't like the voice prompts which are in the tone of a US drill sergeant and that the UI requires the use of the stylus. Otherwise, very promising indeed!

Regards,
Matt Pavall
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Mapopolis is incredible fast in responding to customer requests. Right now version 4.29 is out, and since quite a while there is also a voice editor available to get rid of the drill sergeant. We are also pushing Mapopolis to include WAV file support which will make the voice recognizable much better

Lutz

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
robpow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Thanks for the pointer, I've downloaded the Audrey voices from their support forum and will take in for a test drive over the weekend. It does look very sleek and I think I will definitely buy the version 4 maps when released. The only thing left that could be improved is a simpler UI which can be controller by tapping icons with your finger instead of having to use the stylus, I'll post this on their wishlist and see what happens :-)

Cheers,
Matt
Sonygps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review and very useful too.

As I have a Sony Clie, I'm on Navigator 1.22, pleased so far I cured my initial inaccuracy problem by setting my Garmin Etrex Ventura to WGS84 this places the icon smack on the route. This small change may help others?

The latest voice file works 80% on my NX Clie which have a problem with the voice prompt unlike other Palm 5 devices (it's a Clie thing).

The new edited voices such as Audrey just screech, but this affects only NXs I think and they are 3rd party voices not provided by Mapopolis.

A couple on new long routes starting Monday so a good test.

Cheers
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest voice is "Cheryl" which - apart from a few hicks at the end of sounds - is near perfect. Please visit our partner forum at GPSPasSion for the downloads: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5038

Don't miss to install the latest versions - now includes dynamic loading/unloading of maps. Very handy, especially in a Palm environment...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
goepf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ibendlin

The latest version with automatic map load/unload on Palm?? the latest version is still 1.22 and I didn't realize that this version has that feature? can you confirm that?

would be great!

Thanks,

Geoff
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh... you got me there... Unfortunately that's a PPC only feature. Sorry...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: