Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stoping the theiving gits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stoping the theiving gits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Stoping the theiving gits Reply with quote

Hello All,
Is there any way those who work in the industry (& those that run this forum!) can put pressure on the manufacturers of SatNav equipment to install some irremovable software at the front end, so on boot up, you have to enter a pass code?
Surely for the techies in the know, this would be relatively simple.
Granted, it would have to be 'embedded', to stop people downgrading the unit and then upgrading again without the keycode.
If you think back to when car stereos were removable, it didn't take long for thieves to figure out, unless your car was outside your house, chances are the stereo was in the glove compartment, or under the seats etc.
The manufacturers soon cottoned on, and key codes became the norm virtually over-night. Why are we going through the same thing with SatNav?! I thought they would have learnt by now.
I know there will always be a way of cracking the codes, but at least it will deter most of the thieves, who lets face it, are opportunists looking to make a quick monetary gain through someone else’s misery.
joeninety
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its probably because in all honesty key codes are just as easy to break as your car window these days. car stereo's, cars, mobile phones, laptops etc all have those types of security features but they are all circumvented very easily by those in the know.

if only we lived in an ideal world and didnt need to secure our property Crying or Very sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stoping the theiving gits Reply with quote

Lilo wrote:
Hello All,
Is there any way those who work in the industry (& those that run this forum!) can put pressure on the manufacturers of SatNav equipment to install some irremovable software at the front end, so on boot up, you have to enter a pass code?

It's something we and the Police have been lobbying for. And it appears to be working, v6 of TomTom will have PIN protection.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run tomtom on a PDA, you have already got this feature built in with the PDA password section.

I couldn't agree more though, IMO, tomtom should have put an alphanumeric password on all their products from the word GO!!!!
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stoping the theiving gits Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
v6 of TomTom will have PIN protection.

How much use would that really be though? Surely people would find a way to unlock it again like they do with mobile phones.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stoping the theiving gits Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Darren wrote:

How much use would that really be though? Surely people would find a way to unlock it again like they do with mobile phones.

That's not the point. It's what the people (think they) want.
jammydevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Stoping the theiving gits Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Darren wrote:

yep but that means they have to able to do this as most are stolen by young dont think they would have the capabilities

maybe a seperate card or key would be better that can be removed and taken with you ??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, no protection is 100% effective. PIN codes can be crackes or wiped, removable faceplates don't stop drug addicts from nicking 'em etc.

The whole point is that once work gets around they will target less protected devices instead. Hopefully the PIN can't be removed by something as simple as a Firmware update.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
To be honest, no protection is 100% effective. PIN codes can be crackes or wiped, removable faceplates don't stop drug addicts from nicking 'em etc.

The whole point is that once work gets around they will target less protected devices instead. Hopefully the PIN can't be removed by something as simple as a Firmware update.

Unfortunately a software PIN does little. Even the mighty Microsoft cannot protect their products with a 25 digit serial.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Unfortunately a software PIN does little. Even the mighty Microsoft cannot protect their products with a 25 digit serial.

True but it stops the casual theft.
adventurer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in staffordshire and it was reported in one of the local papers of a number of thefts of GPS devices from vehicles.

They were targeting cars that had their actual GPS device removed but the owners were leaving the window suction holder inplace. So obviously the thief took a chance to break into the car to see if the GPS was under the seat or in the glove compartment.

So what do you do? The obious thing is to remove the suction holder also so as not to give a clue to having a gps.

However, I have a leadtek all in one gps device for my PDA. See here

http://www.leadtek.com/gps/gps_9539c_1.html

I have this device attached to a pro clip attached to the dash. I can remove the leadtek GPS from the pro clip but I cannot remove the pro clip. So this shouts out I have a GPS in the car. Even though I allways do remove it an take it with me. I will still get some thief smashing my windows to take what they think maybe in my car.

Now I don't know if this is a good idea or if it will work (or even if the thief can read) but I was going to place one or two small stickers somewhere in the car, maybe above the pro-clip GPS mount or on the side windows saying "I HAVE TAKEN MY GPS WITH ME" or "NO GPS LEFT IN CAR".

This might not work but then do you think it might just help??

GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS - BT 338

Now IPhone 4 with Tom Tom
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adventurer wrote:
The obious thing is to remove the suction holder also so as not to give a clue to having a gps.

I read somewhere that the pondlife have evolved to look for the mark left by the sucker on the windscreen. Keep this area clean also.
pip510
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
adventurer wrote:
The obious thing is to remove the suction holder also so as not to give a clue to having a gps.

I read somewhere that the pondlife have evolved to look for the mark left by the sucker on the windscreen. Keep this area clean also.

We are getting loads of thieves target car for stereos and sat navs and the best advice is to keep the windscreen clear for the tell tale signs of the sucker.
If you have a microphone then cover this up with a duster ot screen wipe ( the jack plug end) and always always take it out of the vehicle with you.

We had someone break in for a sat nav cable the other day as they though the rest of the Sat Nav device was still in the vehicle.

Although they didnt get the device the owner still had the inconvience of having it broken into and having to purchase a new lead.

You could also invest in smartwater which is a very good product indeed
the Link is here [http://www.smartwater.com]

Let's Be Safe Out There

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: