Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux GPSlim GR-236 Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux GPSlim GR-236 Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeProcter wrote:
Uffe73,

I'm using a Seidio cradle hardwired to the car, which the Holux GR213 plugs into via a ps/2 -> RJ11 conector.

I do not use cigarete lighter sockets etc. The Seidio cradle powers the Holux via the RJ11 lead. much neater.

Thanks for the info. Could you send me a link to a page where I can find this Seido cradle?

/Ulf
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
MikeProcter wrote:
Uffe73,

I'm using a Seidio cradle hardwired to the car, which the Holux GR213 plugs into via a ps/2 -> RJ11 conector.

I do not use cigarete lighter sockets etc. The Seidio cradle powers the Holux via the RJ11 lead. much neater.

Thanks for the info. Could you send me a link to a page where I can find this Seido cradle?

/Ulf

Or actually I'm more interested to hear where you purchased your ps/2 -> RJ11 connector. I have a TomTom Car-Kit unused that I'd like to try out with the GR-213. If I'm lucky that car kit proves to be better than the one I purchased directly from Holux.

Regards,

Ulf
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
uffe73 wrote:
MikeProcter wrote:
Uffe73,

/Ulf

Or actually I'm more interested to hear where you purchased your ps/2 -> RJ11 connector. I have a TomTom Car-Kit unused that I'd like to try out with the GR-213. If I'm lucky that car kit proves to be better than the one I purchased directly from Holux.

Regards,

Ulf

Hi Ulf

Firstly the seidio G2100s can be found here http://www.seidio-europe.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CK4AG21TR650.

The connector I specified when I bought the GR213 direct from Holux - so Holux UK.
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the link din't work. Try this one: http://www.seidio-europe.com/
ckenway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daren, you said in your review "EGNOS/WAAS - Although the GPSlim is EGNOS/WAAS capable I have been unable to test it."

Can you tell me why this was and have you been able to test it yet?
ckenway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daren, you said in your review "EGNOS/WAAS - Although the GPSlim is EGNOS/WAAS capable I have been unable to test it."

Can you tell me why this was and have you been able to test it yet?

Sorry to poat a second time but I forgot to tick the post to get a email when you replied.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Europe EGNOS is still in testing and the signal is not always available or accurate. During the testing period EGNOS was not available.

Forget EGNOS/WAAS for road navigation anyway, most apps use 'lock to road' features and the additional poistional accuracy will be of no benefit.
ckenway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16th June 2005 it came out of test for land based use. The only trials now left are for civil aircraft which expect to go live in early 2006 and absolute final signoff for all catagories in 2007.

Anyway I thought the offsets were calculated in the GPS unit, I didn't realize the software worked it all out.

Well you must of played with both the Holux GR236 and GlobalSat BT338, which one would you want as a present?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EGNOS is still in test phase, ESA currently claim it will go live sometime in 2006, where did you read it was fully operational for land based use?

Of the BT338 and GPSlim, I couldn't really differentiate on performance if both have the latest firmware. Price would be a big factor and assuming both were equal I would go for the GPSlim. As it is, the GPSlim is cheaper anyway!
ckenway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search on RGNOS in google and there was loads of stuff about it. there wa a UK government website and an artical on the world rallye championship using it amongst others I have to be honest and say I can't guide you to the exact document as there were so many but I think it was on the European Space site.

It's not the price so much that wories me it's the performance and reliablity expecially after buying the Fortuna that only last just over a year.

I use it a lot in France for walking and off roading with Bayo maps and the Fortuna was not very accurate for that but it did work well with CoPilot live which I really like.
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Holux GPSlim GR-236 Review Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We're pleased to announce the availability of our Holux GPSlim GR-236 Review.

...and for those of you looking for such a beast, a hardware ON/OFF switch which means it can be semi-permanently installed in a vehicle relying on the ignition to switch it ON/OFF.

Hi Darren,

I've just bought one of these, and its performance is as impressive as you described.

You mention in your review that the unit will turn on/off with the cars ignition. I don't see this behaviour. The only way to switch on/off is with the switch on the unit.

So the question is:

1) Have Holux changed this behavious?
2) or can this behaviour be changed in some way?
3) or is my unit faulty?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

richard
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Holux GPSlim GR-236 Review Reply with quote

Erintech wrote:
You mention in your review that the unit will turn on/off with the cars ignition. I don't see this behaviour. The only way to switch on/off is with the switch on the unit.

You may have misunderstood what I meant. If you leave the GPS Switched ON and then connect to a 12v ignition controlled supply. It will switch ON with the ignition and will remain ON when the ignition is switched OFF until the battery discharges or the power is re-applied.

This is an important point as some GPS units have a 'Soft' ON/OFF switch and would switch OFF when power is removed and have to be manually switched back on. If you wanted to mount a unit remotely i.e. in the rear of the vehicle then its important to have a GPS with a Hardware ON/OFF switch. the Holux is ideal for this, remove the battery and it will switch OFF when power is removed as well.
Mrsash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Holux GPSlim GR-236 Review Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Erintech wrote:

You may have misunderstood what I meant. If you leave the GPS Switched ON and then connect to a 12v ignition controlled supply. It will switch ON with the ignition and will remain ON when the ignition is switched OFF until the battery discharges or the power is re-applied.

This is an important point as some GPS units have a 'Soft' ON/OFF switch and would switch OFF when power is removed and have to be manually switched back on. If you wanted to mount a unit remotely i.e. in the rear of the vehicle then its important to have a GPS with a Hardware ON/OFF switch. the Holux is ideal for this, remove the battery and it will switch OFF when power is removed as well.

Actually I am more confused now. Do you buy something seperately to charge thie unit if placed remotely or connect it using a charger in the box and permanently place it somewhere conspiqous
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Holux GPSlim GR-236 Review Reply with quote

Mrsash wrote:
Actually I am more confused now. Do you buy something seperately to charge thie unit if placed remotely or connect it using a charger in the box and permanently place it somewhere conspiqous

Connect using the charger in the box. Many cars come with boot mounted 12v sockets.
floepie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. I'm a little puzzled with the following:

Quote:
Many current receivers have 'Soft' ON/OFF switches which makes them unsuitable but with the GR236, if it is supplied with an ignition controlled power feed then it will switch ON/OFF with the ignition if its power switch is left ON.

This would only be true if the battery were removed from the device, correct? Surely, if the battery were left in, it would continue to power the device and it would remain on after the ignition is switched off.

Or, is this device truely smart enough to turn itself on when powered externally despite the switch being in the off position? That would be incredible....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: