Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom2 and Bluetooth GPS - Automatic connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom2 and Bluetooth GPS - Automatic connection
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom2 Asking for GPS all the time Reply with quote

If you just want to check maps then you may want to switch off gps completely (at least temporarily). You can do this by going to the GPS status screen and removing the checkmark.

Sorry can't help you with the BT question - my BTM is different.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
en7rha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom2 and Bluetooth GPS - Automatic connection Reply with quote

It's probably just me (and the fact that I haven't yet printed out the TTN2 manual from the CD yet) but every time I open TomTom it opens Bluetooth Manager (or something similar - a bluetooth device selector). I get a timer icon and the option to ok (top right) or cancel (bottom right) - I'll generally press cancel and it will go back to TTN2 for a few seconds before opening the bluetooth selector again at which point I press cancel again. This seems to continue for a good while at which point I decide that it would probably be quicker just to get the Bluetooth reciever out of the car and browse the map with the GPS signal active. All I want is to be easily able to check maps/plan routes without having to go through setting up the bluetooth GPS device. What am I doing wrong?
<br />
<br />And on another point, when I first get into my car, I want the bluetooth connection to my Emtac to be established in as few stylus clicks as possible. What's the best way to do this (both with the Bluetooth Manager ON and OFF)?
<br />
<br />I've got a HP2210, PPC2003, Emtac BT GPS receiver and TTN2.
<br />
<br />Regards
<br />
<br />Rhod
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom2 Asking for GPS all the time Reply with quote

I found exactly the problems you describe. Not at all convenient either in or out of the car!

I had the TomTom BT GPS. Sent it back & got the ordinary (wired) version. Now it works like a dream - no hunting for the BT connection when the GPS is not available.

And I can plan a journey indoors, set to navigator (a subtle message "GPS not available" or somesuch appears at the bottom of the screen) - jump in the car, plug in, and a few seconds later GPS is locked on and it navigates. And I've saved £100 (which I might spend on a CF card GPS for roaming on foot!) - I wonder though whether a CF card solution (with external aerial) might be the ultimate solution...

Certainly the BT version was nothing but a nuisance.

One adverse comment - the BT TomTom GPS receiver appeared to be more "powerful" than the wired TomTom GPS - the wired version seems to lose signal under trees etc more easily.

lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something you should try (credits to pocketnavigation.de). You need a registry editor for this.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BtConfig\Autoconnect\000x
(000x is 0008 for com8 )
add an entry (DWORD)

BtBrowserEnabled=0
this should stop the BT browser from popping up, and the last connected device will be reconnected

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Royalty
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
...this should stop the BT browser from popping up, and the last connected device will be reconnected.

Thanks. Two questions though..
1) you say "should" - does it or doesn't it?
2) anyone able to propose a simple reg editor program?

If this works, it will certainly make TT2 with BT run a lot smoother.
Cheers!

www.backtheboys.com
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I have an iPAQ 3970 with a different version of the BTM that doesn't expose this "feature". So I have to keep saying "should" because I personally can't prove it - unless you donate a 5450 Smile

2) http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DaveO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royalty wrote:
lbendlin wrote:
...this should stop the BT browser from popping up, and the last connected device will be reconnected.

Thanks. Two questions though..
1) you say "should" - does it or doesn't it?

Regrettably It doesn't appear to work on my 5450. :x Crying or Very sad

That may be because the problem seems even worse to me than on yours......and it's driving me nuts. Once TT has been launched the bluetooth browser keeps reappearing, so that it is alomost impossible to activate anything else, and it will keep coming back for ever regardless of how many times I cancel it. If I turn bluetooth off, the browser just turns it back on again. If you can get to open GPS (which normally refuses to launch at this point) then it does apear to stop the browser. Or of course, go get the gps receiver and turn it on so that the damn browser has something to find.

Shut down the receiver and TT, and the b****y browser just keeps coming back until I do a soft reset.

I thought the reg hack might be the answer to life the universe and everything. But alas, up popped the browser!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try configuring the COM for port 42

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DaveO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
try configuring the COM for port 42

Trouble is I'm new to IPAQs, TomTom and Bluetooth, and despite a considerable amount of playtime I can't see how you reconfigure the com ports. I can see the incoming and outgoing ports (5 and 8) in bluetooth manager but they cannot be altered at that point.

Also I have noticed that sometimes the GPS is shown as an active serial device and sometimes as an active activesync device.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Dave0, I was just giving you the answer to life, the universe and everthing...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DaveO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
sorry Dave0, I was just giving you the answer to life, the universe and everthing...

My God, How slow was I then?? !!!! Embarassed Embarassed

No wonder TTN couldn't navigate me to Milliways :-)
Rob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was really bugging me until I figured out the order Confused I needed to start TTN2 without having the GPS on.

1) Turn on bluetooth using the icon at the bottom right of the "today" screen (If it's not already on).

2) Start TTN2 from the start menu.

3) When the BT browser comes up select the wireless GPS.

4) After between 10 and 15 seconds (with my 2210) a popup will appear advising that "No Bluetooth serial ports could be found". Simply tap "OK" and TTN2 will start without anoying BT browser popup!

Pain in the arse, but it works and I can plan my route in the office and when I get to the car and turn on the GPS it all hooks up and off I go!

If when you exit TTN2 the BT browser is showing click "OK" to get rid of it *not* "Cancel".

PS - I always exit TTN2 through the menu or the shortcut under Navigator. It kills the GPS icon and I can turn bluetooth off to save the battery.

Good Luck Thumbs Up

Rob
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My way is slightly different (iPAQ 2210) :

1) Turn on Bluetooth using the icon at the bottom right of the "Today" screen (if it's not already on).

2) Start TTN2 from the Start menu. If you have been using a few other programs before doing this, sometimes TTN2 won't start and a soft reset is then required.

3) When the BT browser comes up click straight away on "OK".

4) The BT Browser screen flashes back to the Bluetooth Console page then immediately back to the BT Browser page for about three seconds and then you are presented with the TomTom logo screen with "Tap on the screen to pop up the Navigator menu". Do that and you are up and running.

To exit I always use the shortcut in Navigator. After I have exited TTN2 then I click "OK" to close the BT browser, then turn off Bluetooth using the icon at the bottom right of the "Today" screen.
Rob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Mearns, much quicker :D

Saves waiting for "not found" popup. I'll have to check to see if it hooks up with the GPS when I get in the car.

Rob
Erling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried to change the registry on an HP2210.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BtConfig\Autoconnect\000x
(000x is 0008 for com8 )
add an entry (DWORD)

BtBrowserEnabled=0

It works great it stops the BT browser from popping up, and the BT GPS is reconnected.

Thanks lbendlin Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: