Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can't See Speed Camera Icons In Navigation Mode (FAQ)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't See Speed Camera Icons In Navigation Mode (FAQ)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Can't See Speed Camera Icons In Navigation Mode (FAQ) Reply with quote

Q: Why can't I see the speed camera icons when I am in 'navigation' mode? They show up in 'map' mode...

A: The i3 is set up in such a way that POI icons will only show up when you are above the speed limit. Therefore, you will not see a speed camera icon unless you are speeding. At present there is no way to change this and Garmin have stated that they believe that if all POI icons were shown all the time it would clog up the screen too much.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to make the i3 *always* display speed camera locations, and to *always* warn of them - provided that:

- speed information is stripped from the database CSV files.
- camera POI have been installed using the Manual option in PoiLoader.
- trigger by distance (not by speed) was specified in PoiLoader.

To strip the speed information from the CSV files, proceed as follows:

- if you have Excel, use the Search/Replace function to search for "@?0" (without quotes) and replace with nothing, ie: leave the box empty.
- if you don't have Excel, you can use Notepad (which is part of Windows) instead. However, the Search/replace function in Notepad doesn't support wildcards - so you'll have to search separately for "@70", "@60", "@50" and so on.

(If there's sufficient demand, I'll knock up a quick batch file to automate this process.)

For trigger distances I use the following values:

- Gatso/Truvelo and Temporary cameras - 1320ft (1/4 mile)
- Redlight cameras - 660ft (1/8 mile)
- Mobile cameras - 2640ft (1/2 mile)

Note that although camera locations will always be displayed, you will only receive the initial "bing bong" warning as you approach a camera - you won't get the repeating "bing bing bing" warning if you're over the speed limit (as the i3 won't know what the limit is).
NoLCD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this and created a new bmp to go with the new file but kept the original speed triggered version.

So I get a proximity alarm and the usual alarm if speed too high (tut tut). i.e. the speed feature works as normal, but I also always have the new bmp appearing in the cameras location irrespective of speed. It gets a bit busy but I have got used to it.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoLCD wrote:
I did this and created a new bmp to go with the new file but kept the original speed triggered version.

So I get a proximity alarm and the usual alarm if speed too high (tut tut). i.e. the speed feature works as normal, but I also always have the new bmp appearing in the cameras location irrespective of speed. It gets a bit busy but I have got used to it.

good idea, might try that myself!
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
(If there's sufficient demand, I'll knock up a quick batch file to automate this process.)

You couldn't knock up a Hobbit POI file by any chance? Wink :privatejokeicon:

Aitch
brynster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: help Reply with quote

can you tell me do i get rid of @70 or @70" or "GATSO:33@70" im not to bright so could do with some help with just which part to get rid of
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: help Reply with quote

brynster wrote:
can you tell me do i get rid of @70 or @70" or "GATSO:33@70" im not to bright so could do with some help with just which part to get rid of

In theory you could get rid of the whole "GATSO:33@70" - but it's useful to keep the type of camera (to help you spot it at the roadside), and its reference number (for report inaccuracies in the database etc.)

Just get rid of the @70, so that you're left with "GATSO:33" in the example above.
brynster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks 4 that Ash10 ill give it a go trying to find a d/l for excel as doing it with note pad looks like a long job. thanks for your help!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

brynster wrote:
thanks 4 that Ash10 ill give it a go trying to find a d/l for excel as doing it with note pad looks like a long job. thanks for your help!

even in notepad it's an easy job.

open the file then press 'ctrl + h' for replace. 'find what': @20 and leave 'replace with' blank. press replace all. then change it to @30, @40 etc then remove all the remaining @

peasy Smile

MaFt
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

open the file then press 'ctrl + h' for replace. 'find what': @20 and leave 'replace with' blank. press replace all. then change it to @30, @40 etc then remove all the remaining @

peasy Smile

Even peasier (!?) would be to search for @ and replace with _ (underscore), and you'd only need to do that once for each CSV file... 8)
brynster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: thanks guys Reply with quote

thanks for your help guys my fingers were starting to hurt. ill upload cameras again with changes ive made. once again thanks for your help :D m
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
MaFt wrote:

peasy Smile

Even peasier (!?) would be to search for @ and replace with _ (underscore), and you'd only need to do that once for each CSV file... 8)

good call, then if ya change your mind you still have the relevent speed data :D

MaFt
brynster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D :D :D sorted works a reat hnk 4lelp
brynster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D :D :D previous mesage was a mess it should have read thanks 4 all your help i3 is working a treat showing all bmp of cameras. cool 8) 8) 8)
bevisnorth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to have the speed displayed at all times?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: