Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cross border planning :(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cross border planning :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Cross border planning :( Reply with quote

Hi,

Just been playing with my Dad's TomTom Go 700 he got for Christmas and was suprised that it could do some stuff that Navigator 5 can't - in particular - cross border planning.

How come? Anyone know if there are any plans to offer cross border planning for TomTom Navigator 5?

Simon
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not do cross map planning - it just has a bigger map. You can use the 700 map on your PDA (if you have the right product key).

TomTom cannot do cross map planning - even the 700 doesn't help you when you want to drive from the US to Canada...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I buy that map from somewhere then?

I often spend time on the Belgian/French/Luxembourg border and it's a real pain.

Simon
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonpearce wrote:
Can I buy that map from somewhere then?

I often spend time on the Belgian/French/Luxembourg border and it's a real pain.

Simon

Sure, look here.
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the link - it's quite expensive considering I already have all the maps!

2 questions:

1) Is there a way round what I have now by putting all maps on one card (although I'm guessing this won't work as it's not ONE map)

2) Do you reckon I can get a discount from TomTom as I already have all the maps!?

Simon
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youll need to use a plus map and then the country maps for the country you are visiting ie home map uk plus (street level uk plus major roads of europe) and then the maps of the countries you inend to visit

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, so if I install uk plus, france and spain, I can plot a route from my house to Madrid and would just need to switch maps when crossing borders?

Is this correct?

Simon
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats it just switch to the spain map when entering spain but id have the france map there to incase you wanted to stop off anywhere on the way

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: TT5 Maps Reply with quote

Let me clarify....you mean, you only need the actual country map if you want/need street level I assume ? Using my UK Plus map, I've just 'plotted' a route from Calais to Lisbon, across France and Spain, no problem...so why really bother with ihe Iberia map ?
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

When I get to Spain I'll be heading up into the mountains which I'm guessing won't be covered by the plus map.

Also, on the way, we'll be staying at hotels in small towns in france which I'm also guessing won't be on the plus maps.

Simon
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,

You'll definitely need the Spanish map if you're heading into the mountains. It's worth checking that your destination is on it before you go.

You'll also need the France map for your journey across France if you're deviating off major roads.

I was surprised at how much detail there is on Plus maps; they're OK for cross country routing on motorways and major roads but they're not intended for to-the-door navigation.
andrewh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this all the time since I live in Belgium and many trips are outside Belgium. In the morning I load the plus map for the country with my destination of the day so that I have major roads for the start of the journey and can navigate to my final address without changing maps.

So, if I am off to Italy with a night stop in France I will load France plus when I leave home (I know how to get onto the major roads from my home Confused ) and put my hotel destination in France as my destination. The next morning I change to Italy plus map and do just the same.

It is great
HTH
Andrew
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread, thanks; now I know why when en route from the Czech Republic to UK, on encountering some heavy roadwork induced tailbacks TT5's "avoid roadblock" function took me time and time again back to the same congested junction; I was in Belgium but still "on" the Czech map so guess it had insufficient detail to do a proper re-route job. I'll know to switch when I cross borders in future.
iPAQ 2210 / TomTom 5.10 / CheckPOInt 3 / SysOnChip CF card Antenna with 256Mb / Sandisk 1.0GB SD / Arklon amplified mount plus Brodit Proclip for Volvo V70 / 3.5mm-3.5mm audio lead for use with Autocom intercom on Honda Hornet motorbike
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to use Itineraries to deal with cross border planning, say France to Italy.

You still have to switch maps at the crossing points, but you can have a route pre-loaded when the new map switches-in. I used this to good effect a couple of years ago on a holiday driving around France and Italy with TTN3 and the segmented country maps.

It was quite useful to use the Major Roads of Europe map, now equivalent to Plus Maps, to establish a good overviewof where to plot the routes and then to build the itineraries on the detailed maps.

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: