Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 Slow to recalculate and gets lost!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 Slow to recalculate and gets lost!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: TTN5 Slow to recalculate and gets lost! Reply with quote

I have just upgraded to 5 from 3 and am reasonably happy but whenever I deviate from a route or undertake a rapid series of turns on a route TTN5 seems to get lost and take much longer to get back on location or recalculate a new route than TTN3 did. Is this a known problem or is it my setup? I am using an IPAQ 4150 and a wired receiver. Nothing but the TTN s/ware has changed since upgrading from 3 to 5.

Thanks

Jon
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be worth re formating the sd card

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks will try that. Why might this be causing it?

presumably this will mean reinstall of TTN5. Will this create activation probs as I only installed it last week?

Jon
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven1 wrote:
Thanks will try that. Why might this be causing it?

presumably this will mean reinstall of TTN5. Will this create activation probs as I only installed it last week?

Jon

You should not need to re-install Tomtom, just the maps but even so there is no probs with the code. I had to completely re-install, logged on for the code & got it no problems. It was the same so I wrote it down. Just as well as I had to re-install a second time within 30 mins.

NOT a Tomtom fault but me doing something by mistake.
redjelly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem. I too have a 4150 and a TT wired GPS. I also recently upgraded from TTN3 to TTN5 and have found it to be staggeringly slow.

I contacted TT and they suggested formatting the SD card, getting a faster SD card etc etc and they also told me that the problem may be caused by using NON GENUINE POI's like the PGPSW speed camera files for example.

I tried changing the card, formatting, reinstalling etc etc and no better. I have even downloaded the very latest version from TT. Finally I tried simply disabling the POI's. SUCCESS!! that totally solved the problem. Instead of being really jerky and several yards behind my actual location, it was smooth with an almost instantaneous refresh of the map and location, but alas without showing any POI's.

I don't know the solution from here on in, but I can re-enable one or two POI's at a time, and maintain the decent running speeds, but any more and things slow down again. A real drag considering the speed camera databases alone consist of umpteen POI's!

I have always used the same number of POI's with TTN3 with no problems. The problems only began after upgrading. Anyone got any other suggestions? I'd love to hear them. The thing is useless at the moment and I'm on the brink of going back to TTN3!!! Crying or Very sad

Thanks
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience of TTN prior to version 5 which I immediately upgraded to 5.21. The only POIs I have enabled are the PGPSW scameras in speed related sub divisions. I have no problems with TTN running slowly in any circs. I do have plenty of RAM and ROM on my PPC, it has a 624Mhz processor and I always clear all other programs from memory before starting TTN so there are lots of resources available to it. Maybe version 5 is a lot more resource hungry and is taxing your Ipaq (I say this in complete ignorance of its specification).
redjelly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're right. Maybe it is a resources issue. Although I too clear all programs from memory, and often soft reset before use, but it still becomes a problem. If it is a resources issue, I'd be quite annoyed at TT since mine is on their list of compatible devices, and therefore their software should run smoothly on it. Heaven knows I paid them enough for it!! Exclamation It would be nice if they could tweak it a little so as to be less taxing, and more compatible with our devices.
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is certainly a problem which I have encountered, particularly on longer routes, since upgrading from 3 to 5. I believe the problem goes deeper than resources. All TomTom systems now run on a Common Platform. Clearly the software has been optimised for the Go products and PDA users have to make do.

There are examples on the forum of Go users enjoying rapid route calculation times for Land's End to John O' Groats, half that of some PDA users.

That said, it can help to have memory cards properly formatted and regularly defragged.

I am currently in the process of upgrading to a larger capacity CF card and am trying to find out the best performance available. It's not just about max read/write speeds etc.

By the way, the POI problem seems to be more associated with "smoothe running" rather than calculation times. I have tried disabling POI's when timing Land's End to John... and it makes no difference.

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess suppliers' and users' definitions of compatibility are not totally coincident probably partly due to limited supplier testing of some devices they consider to fall in a generic category.

TT's comment about non-TT supplied POIs just gets up my nose. Provided POIs comply with the POI interface specs.for TT apps.there should be no problem, unless the published specs. are lacking in some way. They may just be trying to fob you off with that one.

All I can suggest as a temporary fix is using the unsegmented PGPSW database to reduce the no.of active POI categories.

Good luck.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Ipaq 2210 and BT338 GPS and it worked perfectly with TT3 and works just as perfectly with TT5. I use it most days for work and use the traffic camera warnings from checkpoint with no ill effect to the running of Tomtom at all.
If you regularly read these forums you soon spot that TT5 works with some set-ups ok but other makes of PDAs and receivers it appears to dislike (even so called ‘compatible’ ones).
Unfortunately the Ipaq 2210 is no longer produced and if anything ever happened to my PDA I would be gutted.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
redjelly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that leads me to think it may be resources related is that on my set up at least, it can seem to slow down more, the longer it is on.

Let me expand on that! Sometimes after I soft reset before running TTN5 it seems to work fine for a while, but degrades over time. For example, if I navigate from Leicester to Leeds, it will be working fine at the beginning of the journey, but by the time I'm passing Sheffield, things have slowed right up. I struggle to accept that my device has anything wrong with it, as it is fine with everything else, including TTN3. It just seems to be TTN5 that demands too much from my system.

I must admit, I've always been a BIG fan of TT through the previous 2 versions, always very impressed, and haven't used maps for years, didn't even take any maps with me when driving through Europe last year, but this TTN5 is driving me to distraction, and is infuriating when you can't get around a new town because it's letting you down.

Does anyone know if the old unsegmented database is still available and kept up to date?
crusader
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I had a similair problem myself to the point tomtom stopped working altogether and having to soft reset like junction after junction, contacted tt they said card issue contacted card people they said software anyway after talking to loads of people I was directed to the web page of HP Ipaq where I downloaded a Rom Flash now all works perfectly well incidently I use tt5 with Ipaq2410 hope this helps.

Ron

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: