Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Poi Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Poi Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy_Belfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Poi Help Reply with quote

Hi, I have been using google earth to get my cordinates for POI files I wish to make, I have tried entering them into poi edit and notepad etc I can get them onto the navman but when I go looking for them on the map they are nowhere near where they should be, am i entering them wrong or will it not work with the corodinates off google earth, its just I am trying to add the new asda stores and tesco and sainsbury stores here in northern ireland but i cant get my poi to display it in right place.

I probably aint explaining this to well, its just I want to add to the tesco and asda and National trust poi but with the cordinates i am using from google earth are not working for me i tried entering them both ways you know swapping long and lat around still no joy.. am loosing the head with it to be honest.

example Tesco connswater according to google earth is 54.35.43.75 N and 5.53.25.76 W tried entering this in poi edit etc and with notepad and saved it when I send it to the navman it goes miles away from where it ought to be can anyone help or tell me what i am doing wrong ..please

Thanks Tommy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how POIEdit handles degrees, but I suspect that it reads your example as 54.35 and 5.53 instead of 54 degrees 35 minutes, etc.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that may well be the problem.

POIEdit needs the coordinates in decimal degrees to six decimal places, not degrees, minutes, seconds.

Hence your example should be 54.595486 not 54:35:43:75 and 5.890489 not 5:53:25:76.

There are on-line converters which will convert degrees, minutes, seconds to decimal degrees and vice versa such as

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html

Also, if you have the post codes there is a facility to turn post codes into coordinates at

http://ukpostcodes.boldlygoingnowhere.org/main2.html
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy

POIEdit will regard a space in a place name as a delimiter. So to be on the safe side, use quotation marks around all of the place names in your POI file.

Also be aware that there is a bug in the Navman software for Custom POI files. See this thread.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34437
Tommy_Belfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: poi Reply with quote

no - no joy this end keeps coming up -5 instead of 5 tried everything as i stated 54.35.45.6 N and 5.53.26.8 W is the shopping centre have tried entering these details into poiedit and notepad but alas still comes up -5.53.26.8 when i enter it and puts tesco in the a grey area... so will just call it a day. if i had of been able to get it to work i was going to add national trust sites here in Northenr ireland and main shopping centres seems now it was only a dream, can i just say thankyou for replying and trying to help much appreciated....

Tommy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: poi Reply with quote

Tommy_Belfast wrote:
and 5.53.26.8 W is the shopping centre have tried entering these details into poiedit and notepad but alas still comes up -5.53.26.8 when i enter it

5.53.26.8 W is the same as -5.53.26.8. All points West of Greenich are Minus and points East are Plus. Most systems use + and - instead of E and W.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: poi Reply with quote

Tommy_Belfast wrote:
54.35.45.6 N and 5.53.26.8 W is the shopping centre have tried entering these details into poiedit

Tommy

I trust that you actually entered the decimal co-ordinates that I suggested instead of these degrees, minutes seconds co-ordinates that you have quoted.

Use the minus sign as Oldboy has indicated and you should be OK.
Tommy_Belfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Nortonbeak and oldboy thanks so much for your help, Nortonbeak the on-line converters which will convert degrees, minutes, seconds to decimal degrees and vice versa you told me about worked a treat when I actually sat down and took my time and didn't rush it. Would just like to take this opportunity to thankyou for helping sort this, its much appreciated.

Its people like you lot that make this forum worth reading, Thanks to all for your help over this forum it is much appreciated...

Thanks

Tommy
Peter_RN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Tommy_Belfast Reply with quote

Could you not change your preference in Google Earth to read Degrees directly, Tool Menu, Options, Box bottom left quadrent on the View tab.
Might save the bother of converting.

Regards
Peter
Holywood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Poi Herlp Reply with quote

Tommy - if you are using the SmartST software, version 3, try inputting the location data into an Excel spreadsheet, using column names of Latitude, Longitude and Name. Type in the relevant data using either decimal or degrees etc. I recommend decimal (much easier to work with). Save the file as a .csv file. Go to Preferences on your NavMan iCN520, select More Preferences, then Measurements and set the Position Format to 'Decimal'. Now use the SmartST desktop software to load the .csv file into the NavMan iCN520. You can create your own .bmp files for the PoIs, or use any others you have. Good luck. BTW, I also live in NI. Isn't the NavMan coverage of Ireland generally terrible? If you live in Belfast or Dublin, it's great, but anywhere else, it thinks you are in the middle of a field . . .
Holywood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Poi Help Reply with quote

Oops, Tommy - apologies - when I reffered to SmartST v3, I should have said SmartST 2005.
Cheers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: