Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TeleType announces v092003
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TeleType announces v092003
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
talez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh don't be sorry, I was just eager to see how teletype match up to the rest. Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TeleType announces v092003 Reply with quote

PeterB wrote:
I will try to cover as many of the features as possible but do not expect to finalise the review until early September.

Is it almost done yet? Wink
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teletype review with focus on aeronautical issues is on final review.
Road nav. focussed review, by Dave, is in final stage.

Sorry for delay
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TeleType Air review is completed and going through editing and should be available shortly, the road review has been completed and needs writing up, however TeleType have just released a new version of their program with updated maps which we've been asked to review, so there will now be a delay before this review is released.

If anyone has any questions regarding the features in TeleType, I can certainly give a run down of what I currently know.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Guys. Keep up the good work! Smile
jmbillings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone-

I feel a bit guilty here- some time ago I promised Dave a review of Teletype and never got off my bum to do it, partly because of time and partly because each time I think of it they release a new version!

I won't go into any detail now, as it sounds like an "official" review is close to being done, but I recently used it on my holiday across europe and it was very handy.

It does have several downsides, and I'm not sure if these apply to other products or not, simply because I haven't used them, but in the main:

Pro's:
Europe-wide street level maps for reasonable price
Seems to offer quite a lot of features
No need to have different software for highway/street level routing
PC software included for route planning prior to departure

Cons:
Often runs out of memory trying to route over long distances on Pocket PC
Can take some pretty obscure route decisions sometimes (presumably down to the mapping data they use)
Voice instructions can be hazy- often a junction won't be listed as a waypoint (and get no vocal instruction) whereas a kink in a straght road will be met with a "bear left!"
Roundabouts- as a US based product, hardly surprising, but sometimes if you are meant to turn right at a roundabout (i.e 3rd exit) it will say turn left, the reason being it thinks of the roundabout as a "road" and your exit as a left turn off that!

The above are bad points for a non-tech or a map-reading numpty, but for the way I use the product it is fine:
Basically I turn off the vocal commands completely, and simply glance at the map to see where I need to turn and which way (your route is highlighted in pink). This is all I really need. For someone who cannot read maps and doesn't know where they want to go, it would probably become frustrating.

Auto-rerouting works ok (memory allowing!), and you can do multi-waypoint routes too, basically you need to add all the stops as waypoints and route from the waypoint screen. I tend to do this anyway, as another iffy point can be the address searching; type in a streetname and it will come up with a few matches but not the ones you want!

Memory usage for maps seems reasonable: I drove to italy and back, via germany, switzerland and france, and with careful pruning of map files on the pc, I could fit all I needed on a 128Mb CF Card. This included street level everywhere, only I had to drop back to highway only maps for the big trip back up through france (wasn't stopping so highway only was fine!)

Hope this helps- to sum up, I have found Teletype useful, but not without its drawbacks. If you are good at reading maps, and like to pre-plan your route and use the nav s/w simply as a reminder/prompt then teletype is fine, but if you need something you can rely on because you can't cope with mapreading then it probably isnt for you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: