Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin launch Topo Great Britain for Garmin GPS receivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin launch Topo Great Britain for Garmin GPS receivers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan.

Thanks for your message answering my question with no more doubts left.

First a few words to the general OS-related part of your message. I know the OS maps, I've a complete collection of the Travel Map 1-8 series (these are the 1:250'000 ones) as well as the Travel Map GB-2005 (which is the 1:625'000 one). I like to use them as the quality is really good and also very accurate for finding all kinds of places. I've used some Landranger and Explorer maps as well, although I don't own them.

As a side-note: We've been to various parts of GB since Sept-2003, ranging from Cornwall, East Anglia, Wales up to the Scottish border, been to the Scottish Borders/Edinburgh and much of the Western part up from Glasgow to Inverness. So you could say that we (my wife and myself) are quite enthusiastic about The Island Wink !

Back to the main topic. The problem of interoperability is sad, but I suspect you're right, all the vendors like to sell their own branded data.
My conclusion now is, that for me it's not worth to get the TOPO GB, I'd rather buy a few Explorer/Landranger maps on paper.

My decision about the type of device (PocketPC vs. traditional outdoor GPS) is already made. I first thought about a PPC, but then decided agains it for reasons of readability in bright sunlight as well as the robustness and waterproof design. I'd like to be able to use it in car, on my motorbike and from time to time while hiking. This made the Quest 2 very appealing to me.

Thanks for all the great answers in here, it helped me a lot to take a well informed decission. I'm always open to hear other opinions and/or hints! I'll stick around some more for sure, this forum is quite to my liking, as far as I can tell by now. :D

BeatO
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BeatO,

Glad to be of help. As this question is getting rather off-topic, I'll be brief:

I entirely agree with your objections to a PPC for outdoor use. But do you find the Garmin colour display better than a PPC's in daylight, and if so, do you know why? Is it perhaps that the display works better in reflective mode, or is the data format (e.g. colours) more suited for outdoor use? Or is the backlight brighter?

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan

IMHO, the Quest works better in reflective mode than any PPC I've seen up till now. That's true esp. in bright sunlight conditions. If you need a backlight (because it's getting dark), the differences are much smaller. The strength is that you don't need any backlight in bright conditions with the Quest2. But that's just my opinion. Wink

BeatO
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeatO wrote:
The strength is that you don't need any backlight in bright conditions with the Quest2. But that's just my opinion. Wink

I'll agree with that. The Quest screen works fine in normal light conditions wih the backlight off.

I do wish Garmin would allow us to scan and calibrate our own maps for their GPS units, like you can do with Memory Map. They could argue that their vector maps are smaller, but with 1 gig of memory selling for about £25 who cares? I'll take the OS maps anyday.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BeatO and Skippy,

Thanks, that's what I suspected. Presumably the higher resolution and "65000 colours" of PPC screens make them less good in reflective mode than the Quest's.

I don't know if a "graphics engine" to support raster-maps (on the Quest) would impact on the battery drain, but anyway scanning OS maps is strictly a violation of their copyright. It's not possible to calibrate ANY maps on the UK versions of Memory Map and Fugawi, you can only use the European/World versions of the software. And I paid £32 for my last Gig on SD Sad .

Now, perhaps we'd better give this thread back to "Topo" Smile . Has anyone actually used it in earnest on a handheld GPS?

Cheers, Alan.
Andydug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: TOPOGreat Britain Reply with quote

I'm getting conflicting messages over TOPO GB's capabilities. Can it provide automatic road routing on a GPS60CS? I don't believe it can route on trails (in fact there seems to be some doubt over whether it shows all trails). Can anyone enlighten me?
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: TOPOGreat Britain Reply with quote

Andydug wrote:
I'm getting conflicting messages over TOPO GB's capabilities. Can it provide automatic road routing on a GPS60CS? I don't believe it can route on trails (in fact there seems to be some doubt over whether it shows all trails). Can anyone enlighten me?

Most of the answers can be found here:-
http://www.garmin.com/cartography/

Looking at my area - the paths are not comprehensive - sections are missing - and road routing is available but confusing.

You can by following the link, see your own area on the map, and if that does not match your local knowledge then the decision is yours!

Fugawi is much better for walking/cycling and CitySelect better for road navigation.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: TOPOGreat Britain Reply with quote

Andydug wrote:

Yes it can. It does the routing based on the Navteq map layer so will only consider roads for routing.

The routing is not confusing, but is limited a little by the capabilities of the device. In particular there is no spoken instructions, but the turn by turn indications are there and the system re-routes if you go off course. I am still to evaluate the routing algorithms compared to other navigation systems and routes that I would take.

Obviously the navigation is limited by the size of the screen as well.

The trails are how shall we put it? Interesting? Some are there and some are not. Different paths are shown at different zoom levels. In theory there should be greater detail in the maps as the source is from much higher resolution data. I will be finding out what is happening here soon...
Andydug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugawi mapping cannot be loaded onto a garmin GPS60 CS can it? Just the waypoints and routes created on a PC?
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andydug

No, the Fugawi maps are not vector based maps as garmin uses. So you can't load the images to a garmin device.

BeatO
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeatO wrote:
Hi Andydug

No, the Fugawi maps are not vector based maps as garmin uses. So you can't load the images to a garmin device.

BeatO

That is strange, as I operate a Garmin iQue and Fugawi works well on that!!
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have been a little more precise. Garmin has some PocketPC based devices, which can load them. The non-PocketPC based models have the vector maps. Sorry for that, didn't think about those, as for me Garmin is not a typical PPC-producer.

BeatO
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, I rather wonder if Garmin even manufacture the iQue themselves, especially as some use the Palm OS and others are MS Windows PPCs. Fugawi is the only OS mapping software compatible with Palms, but PPCs can also run Memory Map (which IMHO is a better PPC application), etc..

However, because the iQue's are fundamentally PDAs, I don't think they're compatible with "Topo", so aren't very relevant to this thread (except in terms of the general comparison of PDAs versus "traditional" Handheld GPSs).

Cheers, Alan.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
That is strange, as I operate a Garmin iQue and Fugawi works well on that!!

Yeah, but that's not a real Garmin is it. Taunt

To be fair, the original question was asking about the GPS60 CS. Wink
keith_r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllyCat wrote:

It's not possible to calibrate ANY maps on the UK versions of Memory Map and Fugawi, you can only use the European/World versions of the software. And I paid £32 for my last Gig on SD Sad .

That is surprising!

I use 'Pathaway' on a Palm, linked to a simple eTrex for Topo style maping - mostly for sea kayaking. It can calibrate any map you can scan or screen copy into your PC.

http://pathaway.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: