Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1:50000 maps for 1/4 of Great Britain ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1:50000 maps for 1/4 of Great Britain ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildwildcamper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: 1:50000 maps for 1/4 of Great Britain ? Reply with quote

I had got all excited about the Fugawi software for the uk, especially as it gave me the same details as the Ordnance Survey paper maps.

Then re-reading the details, I find "1:50000 maps for 1/4 of Great Britain". The 1:50000 scale was the one I was looking forward too, however 1/4 coverage of the uk!

Does anyone know, or know where I can find what 1:50000 maps it does cover as I have searched the Fugawi site and others for details without success.

Thanks in advance for any help
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Fugawi UK the maps you get are exactly the same as the Ordnance Survey paper maps, as this is their source.

I am a little confused about your statement about 1/4 UK coverage.

There are four sets of maps covering the whole UK. Fugawi broke it down into four sections to help make it cost effective for th users. If you need all of the UK you just buy all four, or like me just get 2 sets, one for my local area, and one covering the lake district.
wildwildcamper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

The statement "1:50000 maps for 1/4 of Great Britain" was copied from the Fugawi web site. The way I understand it is that the 1:250,000 and 1:1,000,000 scale maps are included for all the country, however the 1:50000 maps have only a 1/4 (25%) of the country included.

The statement is at http://www.fugawi.com/docs/fugawiuk.html

Perhaps the whole country at scales 1:250,000 and 1:1,000,000 are included on all four cd's, then each cd has only 25% of the country at 1:50000?

Thanks for the responce
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildwildcamper wrote:
Perhaps the whole country at scales 1:250,000 and 1:1,000,000 are included on all four cd's, then each cd has only 25% of the country at 1:50000?

Correct. I bought 2 CDs for half the country at 1:50,000
agibbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought two cds, but liked it so much I bought another one as well. Once you've loaded everything (software, 1:50k 1/4 map, lowscale whole country maps) from one CD all you need from the others is the 1:50k map file (e.g. D:/maps/UKOSx.FX4, about 0.5Gb) to access the other 1/4's of the country - well worth copying these onto your hard disk if you have the space!

One other tip for printing, which I'm sure has been mentioned elsewhere, is to check that you have a recent version of the software - some CD's were made with a version (I don't remember which) which did not allow you to set an explicit printing scale (e.g. you got 1:49951 rather than 1:50000) which made the printout very blurry. The latest version can be downloaded from http://www.fugawi.com/docs/suppupgrades.html. Remember the printout is limited to A4, but this has never caused me a problem (maybe I don't walk fast enough), and I cannot stress how nice it is to be able to print off a single sheet to stick in your pocket, especially for some walks in Scotland which seem to sit right on the corners of 3 or 4 OS maps!
wildwildcamper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re; 1:50000 maps for 1/4 of Great Britain ? Reply with quote

thank you to all who replied. I now know what they include :o)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: