Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Orange and the Qtek 9100?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Orange and the Qtek 9100?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Orange and the Qtek 9100? Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi.... Having spent some time in this forum finding out that it is probably possible to get TT mobile for smartphones working on a Qtek 9100 (K-Jam, O2 mini xda exec etc etc) I now find out that Orange (my provider) do not actually stock this phone. Does anyone know if Orange have plans to bring this mini pda style phone to market?

Many thanks

Sorry I have repeated this topic in the beginners forum but i feel those in this forum might be better informed
tcepser
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that your other post has a reply. The Qtek is not a smartphone, it is actually a pocket pc. So therefore you would need to get Tomtom Navigator, as I think TT Mobile would not work on a PDA style phone.

Hope this helps
256 Mini SD Card
Tomtom Navigator 5 (Great British Map)
BT GPS Receiver
BB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... i got some excellent responses to the problem of my owning TT Mobile 5 for smartphones and making it work on the Qtek 9100 - see my topic in this forum INSTALLING NAVIGATOR OVER TT MOBILE 5

As for my problem with regards when/if Orange will release its own version of the Qtek 9100 (K Jam o2 mini exec etc) I think my post in the beginners forum has been erased Sad and I didn't get to see a reply which I believe was there. Anyone got the answer to Qtek 9100 on Orange?
futuresbright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read on a number of sites that orange will not release the 9100/vario/xda mini s. I heard somewhere that it was because of software issues?
I was with orange for 7 years and have swapped to o2 purely because of the xda mini s and can honestly say it was a good move.Better tariffs,better coverage(IMO) and it seems they care about existing cusomers unlike orange.
The xda also comes unlocked to any network if you need to be with orange.
tcepser
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like futuresbright, I was with with Vodafone for years but since getting a job in O2 I really noticed how much they do care about customers and there coverage is fantastic, their phone range is absolutely fantastic aswell, with all of the XDA (o2s version of the phone) family available. And as mentioned they are unlocked, so your orange sim card will work no problems :D
256 Mini SD Card
Tomtom Navigator 5 (Great British Map)
BT GPS Receiver
BB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Futuresbright and Tcepser, your help (and that of others on the forum - top people!) has been fantastic. And for that reason and your experience can I just ask for your help one more time. When I received little indication from Orange themselves whether they intend to stock the 9100, I went to the o2 website and thought their tariffs to be really rather competitive. I have always been with orange and therefore never needed to change my number; apologies for the noobie question but is it an easy and swift operation to carry a phone number from Orange to O2? (I ran a mile when somone told me years ago it took 28 days)

Also you both seem to have the phone I want (QTek 9100, O2 Mini S) so are you both happy with the way it works with TOMTOM (incl bluetooth dongle)? and also how good is it at browsing via a wireless network.? I read a review that said that it didn't work well on wireless-G networks (!). As i intend to use it with my wireless-g network I would hope you'll discredit that theory. I take it that if I can manage to get it working on my wireless-g I wouldn't incur any costs from o2 for browsing via my own network, but how cost effective is GPRS browsing with o2 - I was somewhat disappointed with orange costs in that respect.

Again thanks for the help.

BB
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with my XDA mini s. The wifi is fine (on G), except the range is more limited than a laptop, when I was in the states a few weeks ago I found that it struggled with the free wifi signal in the hotel, only worked in some parts of the room.
The only other problem I found is the processor is slow, only 200MHz, which is fine for most apps except for skype, a program for free telephone calls over the internet. I think faster processors are only available on bigger devices.
Tomtom runs fine, no problems except for the normal bugs.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB, if GPRS is important to you I suggest you check out the T Mobile Web N Walk tariffs. They include a massive 40MB monthly allowance (price that up on other networks!) and £1/MB thereafter. Number transfer is possible but you will have to ask for the details. Downside? is 18 month contract.

Web N Walk 200
1 Free Vario
2 200 mins x net anytime
3 40MB GPRS
4 Self serve online billing
5 Total cost £402 (inc mid term discount) over the 18 month contract.

Have a good look around, this was the best I found when I was looking.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodderstrotter wrote:

The only other problem I found is the processor is slow, only 200MHz, which is fine for most apps except for skype,

It's a faster processor but restricted to 200MHz mainly for power saving. For Skype people are playing with an overclocking app (caution Exclamation ) that is triggerd by the Skype .exe.
Further reading.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=40284
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=840086
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB,

Orange do have this device, and it's available from their on-line shop. There name for it is Orange SPV M5000. Have a look at this link:

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/orange_spv_m5000/

Hope this helps,

Paul
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Paul, wrong model.
http://sales.mobiles4everyone.com/display.asp?hs=xdaminis
futuresbright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB,regarding number porting it takes approx 10 days but in the meantime they give you a tempory number to use in your new handset and when it has swapped the old line dies and the new one is activated so you never miss a call.they charge £10 for this service,just ring orange and ask for a PAC code.

The mini s is a fantastic phone/pda,tomtom works like a dream,wi-fi will work on G but i have found it sometimes can see G networks but will not connect but there is a cab file doing the rounds that fixes this.(PM me and i`ll point you in the right direction if needed).

I was in exactly the same position as you,I couldnt be bothered with all the hassle of swapping networks but i`m very glad i did.JUST DO IT!!! Laughing
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
rodderstrotter wrote:

The only other problem I found is the processor is slow, only 200MHz, which is fine for most apps except for skype,

It's a faster processor but restricted to 200MHz mainly for power saving. For Skype people are playing with an overclocking app (caution Exclamation ) that is triggerd by the Skype .exe.
Further reading.

I've been waiting for an overclock utility for ages, thanks!
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
rodderstrotter wrote:

Further reading.

This is great, skype runs flawlessly, I can overclock to 264MHz with no problems, 272MHz can occasionally crash. And before I get accussed of going OT, it works great with TomTom. I have set it to kick in when running tomtom, it runs smoother & is more bearable with POI display on.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: