Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Bluetooth GPS with MemoryMap Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Bluetooth GPS with MemoryMap Navigator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan_a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Bluetooth GPS with MemoryMap Navigator Reply with quote

Has anyone got any experience of getting the two working together? I tried for several frustrating hours yesterday on my iPAQ2210, but to no avail.

I think what ought to work is configuring Navigator to use COM8 and selecting NMEA as the GPS manufacturer at 38400 baud (although I did try 4800 as well), but every time I tried to connect I got the 'Cannot open COM port' error message.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,
Ryan
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMEA 4800 will work on COM8. However, here's the cat amongst the pigeons. Have you upgraded to the latest TomTom GPS Driver ? v2.08 ?

If so, go into START | REMOVE PROGRAMS and remove the TomTom Bluetooth program near the top of the screen, you'll be asked to soft reset, and this will rectify it. This is a known problem, TomTom 2.08 will stop other GPS programs talking to the Bluetooth Receive port. We reported this as soon as TTN Driver 2.08 came out.

If you're not running GPS 2.08, then there shouldn't be any reason why you can't talk, try soft resetting the iPAQ, just in case TTN2 has locked open the port.
chapsworth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

You guys are so helpful. Thanks.

I've been 'fannying' around trying to get my 2210/Memory Map/Globalsat to work. Most of the time it didn't, sometimes it did if I pressed an unknown sequence of keys.

I did what you suggested and everything worked within about 3 seconds!

Cheers
Simon
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I've reported this bug to TomTom three times now, to different contacts I have, but nothing back yet... :x
ryan_a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave - that's fixed it!
ryan_a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick question - I've found a copy of the 2.07 driver; does this have the same stealing com port problem? I'm a bit concerned that without an updated driver, I'll end up not being able to switch my iPAQ on again if I don't shut down the bluetooth properly...

Thanks,
Ryan
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily no, the problem only became apparent in 2.08. We're going to soon start a download cache of all drivers issued from TomTom/Navman et all, and we will look at offering these on the download sectoin of the website in the near future.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Memory Map v Tom Tom GPS Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I too experienced problems with Mem Map not being able to open the Com port after I updated the Tom Tom GPS Driver to 2.08. So when I saw that Tom Tom had released v2.09 I assumed that they (bearing in mind your repeatedly reporting the issue to them) would have fixed it.
Sadly that does not seem to be the case as exactly the same problem arose when I installed the update!

Your workaround is fine but I have to admit to being puzzled by it - if the GPS driver is removed from installed programs then how come I can still use the GPS?

Reagrds
Ted
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ted, you're not actually removing the GPS driver. Basically prior to v2.08 when you installed TomTom Navigator 1 or 2, or an update you would have two programs that needed to be installed.

- TomTom Navigator Program/Update
- GPS Support Program/Update

Since GPS 2.08 what TomTom have done is add in a new program that appears in START | SETTINGS | REMOVE PROGRAMS called
- TomTom ~ GPS

If you remove the TomTom ~ GPS it won't actually remove the GPS Support Program, the TomTom ~ GPS basically is a fudged driver that powers on boot or power-on which tries to resolve the hanging problem with Bluetooth, which it does, but it then opens a huge bag of troubles for other apps.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, to totally get rid of TomTom GPS 2.08 or 2.09, you uninstall "TomTom ~ GPS" a second time. It appears that the first uninstall, which mandates a soft reset, seemingly removes the inteference with the Bluetooth stack (I can't check this as I don't have a Bluetooth GPS).

The second uninstall really uninstalls the program (with 2.09, you're forced to soft reset again afterwards, though not with 2.08 ).

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat - the one time I don't preview, I fall over the 8) is interpreted as a smiley issue, and I didn't realise I needed to turn smileys off. I can't edit the post now, but where the smiley is in that last post should be 2.08)

David :( (smileys deliberately off in this post)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: