Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom BT GPS Receiver MKII User review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom BT GPS Receiver MKII User review
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: TomTom BT GPS Receiver MKII User review Reply with quote

Click here for the TomTom BT GPS MKII reviewEarlier in June 2003 we reviewed the original TomTom BlueTooth receiver. Now at the same time TomTom launched the version 5 of their software they also released a new BlueTooth receiver. This is dubbed the MK II (as in "two").

It is based on the SiRFstar III chipset and a lot of users have asked us for a review on this unit. One of them was even offering to write a review for us - an offer that we just couldn't let pass by!

SirfStarIII and Bluetooth, just flashy marketing gimmicks or worth the money?

"So why should I buy new GPS receiver? I've already got one!", one might ask. But I guess that's just the lot of us early adopters. Last year's
GPS receivers, with the SirfStarII chipset, just aren't good enough anymore, especially if they are of the wired variation.

Click here to read our user's review of the TomTom BT GPS receiver.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud, nobody's got anything to say? 8O
iggyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: TomTom II Bluetooth Reply with quote

I have one of these and the reception and warm up is really good.
Even works in my glove box through a heated windscreen ! ! !
Lardyboy66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: TT Bluetooth receiver Reply with quote

Bought this due to fact that upgrading to Tom Tom 5 meant that my old CF receiver did not want to play !

Thought it might be a bit of a rip off due to it being Tom Tom Brand but the thing works really well.

Fire up my Axim 50 - Launch Tom Tom, turn on reciever and then thats it - it just works, no problems, great signal no hassle - perfect

Well recommended

Even finds me on Guernsey where I live but the map does not have any roads on it Laughing Out Loud

Well recommended
opel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Tom Tom receiver for about 6 months now and I've never has a problem. The best thing about it is you don't even need to have it on the dashboard - the passenger seat works just as well.

The only thing I have to remember is to turn it on before starting my i-mate jam so it connects to the satellites before the Tom Tom 5 fires up.

Great little unit that works really well

Computer Support and Computer Services for Berkshire and Surrey.
www.pool-king.com
RS2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like the auto off feature, as you have to remember to switch the bl oody thing on every time ya want to use tomtom.

With my other 1, the BT308 i used to just leave it on all day. & turn it off when get home.

Would be a lot better if the auto off was switchable so you could have stay on if wanted.
rbartlett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the auto off is a bit of worry as my v1 is hardwired and permently on in the car.

I would have liked the option to change the default setting to always on too.

However can you answer this

1 is it better than the first TT BT GPS
2 is the power socket the same as on TT BT GPS

why but this at 100+ quid when you can have the Holux GPSlim 236 GPS Receiver for a lot less??

cheers

richard
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbartlett wrote:

1 is it better than the first TT BT GPS
2 is the power socket the same as on TT BT GPS

YES and YES.

This uses a SiRF III chipset which is vastly superior to any previous chipsets.
RS2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MK II is definately a lot better than any of the other receivers i've had. It is definately a lot more precise, & the reception is better as well.

I'm not so sure about the TTN5 software though, although a lot more roads are included & the planning seems to be a bit better. & the settings i think are a bit better. I have noticed twice now, once in Waltham Abbey, Essex & in Ware, Hertfordshire. It showed me as driving on the river.

Perhaps it thought that i had morphed into a hovercraft.
Just so clever this software enit...
jagga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: tom tom bluetooth mk ii pgs receiver Reply with quote

Dear kar98
till now i had a wired tom tom attached to my pda. when i was gifted with a hp ipaq hx2415 with bluetooth, i thought of going wireless. so i upgraded my tomtom 3 to 5 and bought a well acclaimed tomtom bluetooth mk II receiver. to begin with i did not get any instructions manual as to how to use it. when i searched the web, i found the instructions in tom tom website under the heading " how to manually configure tom tom navigator 5 bluetooth receiver". i followed all the instructions verbatim and alas at the last step when I had to configure my pda to the gps receiver, i got stuck.
let me explain in more detail. i paired my pda with the gps receiver. now i started tomtom navigator and in menu 2 went to change preferences and chose gps status, wherein I got the screen saying configure. at this point there were 4 options
a) tom tom wireless gps with a passkey of 0000
b)tomtom cable gps
c)other bluetooth gps
d)other nmea gps

as advised in tom tom website, i chose other blue tooth gps and chose configure, when i got a screen message saying
please pair ur bluetooth gps and ur pda/smartphone . for details consult doucmentation for your gps receiver and your pda as i had already paired my device , i pressed continue
now i got a screen with a heading of gps is connected to and a list of options, I chose blue tooth serial port 8 when i got the message No gps device.
now as advised by tomtom again, this time i chose other nmea gps and a gps baud rate of 4800 and tried to configure. alas no luck again. the yellow and blue wheel never spins.
I am stuck here . I tried various combinations for receiver as well as for comports but nothing is working.
as i have looked into the forum and could n't find anyone with this problem, i am getting quite worried. am i missing something sinister? Kindly advice and help
Many thanks
jagadish
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure what you're trying to do here.

Turn on the TomTom MK2 GPS receiver. In TomTom Navigator, go to Change Preferences, Show GPS Status, Configure, pick TomTom Wireless GPS, Select and you should be good to go.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, you should have selected option a)

If it still doesn't work your receiver may be set to SiRF protocol. ask a friend to switch it to MNEA for you.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Glyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the review on the SiRFStarIII TT MKII BT GPS Receiver (whew...what a mouthful) Laughing and I have a question if you please?

1. What software is running on the Dell Axim screenshot in the review? That looks good!

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glyn wrote:

1. What software is running on the Dell Axim screenshot in the review? That looks good!

That would be PocketMap Navigator 3R12, from SpaceMachine, a package I have since abandoned, since there haven't been any updates to the software or the map data in over a year.
Glyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the quick reply...

I didn't realize it was a full-blown SatNav application - I thought it was just a program to display GPS data...

I have been looking for a decent program for ages that would just display the relevant GPS data as shown in your screenshot and I thought that was it!

Aaahhh well...guess I'll have to keep looking then.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: