Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mont Blanc Tunnel
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mont Blanc Tunnel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redhotorange
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Mont Blanc Tunnel Reply with quote

Will be driving from Geneva Airport to Breuil-Cervinia in Italy next weekend. CP6 desktop suggested a 254 mile route while AA route planner (and Multimap) gives a 126 mile route. Had a closer look and noticed that AA directed me via Mont Blanc Tunnel whilst CP6 took me through half the Europe. When I set waypoint at the Tunnel, It tells me that this cannot be done. I then noticed that there two sections near the tunnel coloured blue with crosses on them - meaning no through road.

I know that there was a fire in 1999 but the tunnel was reopened in 2003 -unless CP6 knows something I (or AA/Multimap) do not?

Please can some shine some light here as I do not want to drive 254 mile unnecessarily nor being turned back at the Tunnel.

Thanks.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoroute 2005 makes it 116 miles, and uses the Mont Blanc tunnel.

For obvious reasons, I'd rather leave you to discover for yourself whether or not the tunnel is in use. Copilot 6 and Autoroute both use Navteq maps and they are copyrighted 2005 and 2003 respectively. So, it seems odd that Copilot shows the tunnel closed while Autoroute shows it open.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the tunnel in either 2003 or 2004, can't remember which, riding from Italy to France. Stayed in Chamonix for a night. The scorchmarks were very much in evidence, but it was definitely open. There's an information site here.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, CoPilot 5 gives the following message when routing from Geveva to Breuil-Cervinia:
"sorry, the following route is not available".
This was an unhelpful surprise, equivalent to "you can't get there from here".

Then I tried placing a waypoint in Chatillon, IT just to the south of Breuil-Cervinia. CP5 calculates that route as being 118 miles and taking 3 hours. I believe it goes through the Mont Blanc tunnel, showing as route N205 crossing into Italy just south of Chamonix (CP does not label the tunnel, as far as I can see.)

My settings of course are Auto, Quickest.

Therefore there is some other routing dead-end internal to CP when trying to cross the Alps. CP in other words has gotten lost.

The tunnel re-opened in March 2002 after a fire, per BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1856504.stm

My guess at the explanation of this routing problem: CP found a short route through Italy but the maps have internal errors in this region and aborted the routing algorithm. If so and if Autoroute uses the same map data as Ponderous says, then AutoRoute gets around the error better.

BTW, I am a user of CP6 but I just did a parallel install of my CP5 because I have Europe and UK maps in that version. Both versions seem to work as well as ever.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
redhorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not be related to the fire: see Paolo's post to the "Copilot 6 Routing Anomalies" thread. The latest maps seem to have more than their fair share of little crosses.

CP6 6.0.0.68
Pocket PC 4.20.0 Mio168
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well be that to route via the tunnel (assuming it is open) you will have to settle for two routes; one from your departure to the tunnel, and a second from the tunnel to your destination.
Redhotorange
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
It may well be that to route via the tunnel (assuming it is open) you will have to settle for two routes; one from your departure to the tunnel, and a second from the tunnel to your destination.

That is what I will have to do.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has become apparent on another thrread that it might be a question of turning off Avoid Tolls. Does it help?
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
noah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Tunnel is open Reply with quote

We used the Mont Blanc tunnel in July last year, it is certainly open, the cost is a little over £30 or maybe Euros but I think £££,s. I assume you will be running down the French border, so stay on the French side on the A40 as deisel is much cheaper than in Switzerland.I hope this is of help. If you go through the tunnel and on to Geneva you cross the St Bernards Pass(doubtfull if it is open at this time of year) very steep very narrow very beautiful. Played snowballs in July!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: