Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No voices on Co Pilot 5 Pocket PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No voices on Co Pilot 5 Pocket PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: No voices on Co Pilot 5 Pocket PC Reply with quote

I have Co Pilot 5 on my PPC, installed from Quickstart card, apart from the intro voice when i start it up, there are no voice directions at all. I have the volume turned up all the way on my PPC but don't know what is wrong. Help!
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably find the answer here on ALK's site.

http://support.alk.eu.com/cgi-bin/alk.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=XhCVae_h&p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_cv=&p_pv=&p_prods=0&p_cats=0&p_hidden_prods=&prod_lvl1=0&cat_lvl1=0&p_search_text=speech&p_new_search=1
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website instructions above show you how to simply re-install PocketSpeech (TTS), which should work for you.

Don't forget in CP5 to go to Options, "Amplify Speech Volume", or something like that.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Manga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've done that but still no joy. It gets worse, I downloaded the Co Pilot 5 Update from ALK site, installed it and now when I try to run Co Pilot it says I have a prior version of data on my device and need to download the correct data. Any ideas? Thanks
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manga wrote:
Thanks. I've done that but still no joy. It gets worse, I downloaded the Co Pilot 5 Update from ALK site, installed it and now when I try to run Co Pilot it says I have a prior version of data on my device and need to download the correct data. Any ideas? Thanks

I think you can restore sanity by deleting the CoPilot directory from your SD card and then restarting a data download.

If at all possible use an SD card reader for speed and reliability instead of MS ActiveSync, which never worked right for me.

You might tell us your exact version of CoPilot 5. such as my previous one of 5.0.1.13. You can find this under About or something.

If you are still missing voice prompts, check if Pocket Speech is installed (by taking the first steps to 'remove programs' then cancelling).

In a pinch, if you think you have no Speech installed, double click on TTS.cab in StorageCard\2577. That should re-install it. This is where the QuickStart is stored for TextToSpeech.

Above all be real sure you have your volume controls set right. Hearing the "Welcome to CoPilot" proves that you have the audio working, but that is a only .WAV file and gives you no hint about the status of your TextToSpeech in CoPilot for prompting. Check your CP option for "Amplify Voice".

Good luck.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for the language.cfg file and check its contents.

If you're using the TTS voice in the UK (your profile doesn't show where you are), then it should read ...

Code:
[RelativeDirectories]
"TTSDir"="/pocket speech\mle01\ukenglish\roger132"

[Settings]
"Current Language"="UK English"
"language"="0"

The last patch creates a US-compatible language file, and you need to edit it after reinstalling the software.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Manga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version no is 5.1.0.7, it is actually a different version than normal, its the one with the Acer N35, doesn't come with desktop software. Reverted back to the backup disc and it is working again. But still no voices. Does anyone have this version? Thanks
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manga writes:

Quote:
The version no is 5.1.0.7, it is actually a different version than normal...

Other versions allow a 3-day trial without registering. If yours does likewise, it might be worth loading it up on a friend's pda to see if it produces sound on there.

Also, I believe that some some versions of CP 5 had volume control/mute functions. A good search of the menus just might show that the sound is simply switched off from with in Copilot.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Manga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I will try this when I get access to another PDA.
Cheers.
Manga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't get access to another pda. Re-installed TTS, volume is turned up, but still no sound (apart from startup). Don't know if I can use WAV sound files instead, as i've not got desktop software and don't know where the files would be.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you have checked the option under Tools, Options, Guidance, "Amplify Speech Volume"? This is important for TextToSpeech.

And just for good luck, tap your PDA "UP" rocker button 6 times or so (I know this shouldn't be necessary since you have WAV sounds coming normally).

If you really intend to switch to the WAV speech, you should find an install file for this on your SD card under \Storage\2577. I think you should find there both TTSUK_m.cab and WaveUKEnglish_m.CAB. Clicking on either should install it. I think you should uninstall whatever PocketSpeech you have before doing this.

Good luck
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Manga, I see you have checked the "Amplify.." option etc many times.

The ALK website for CP 4 (you have CP5) has a warning that under low memory conditions the speech dll may fail to load. Exit all other programs first if this is a possibility.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Manga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, I have figured out the problem, I had too much stuff installed on my pda, didn't have enough free memory / storage. I uninstalled a program, then the audio prompts worked perfectly!
Thanks for all the replies!
Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: