Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with Advanced Option Setting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with Advanced Option Setting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redhotorange
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Problem with Advanced Option Setting Reply with quote

I changed the Basic setting to the Advanced and created my own speed profile. Now this Advance option has become the default option in my PPC. When I choose the Basic option and then switch off the PDS, it will revert back to the Advance option when switching the PDA back on. Please can anyone help?
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a mild bug. As long as you choose the Default profile the results wil be the same as if you were in basic mode. If you want to change the settings, switch to basic mode - the new settings will be saved.

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
Redhotorange
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenS wrote:
It is a mild bug. As long as you choose the Default profile the results wil be the same as if you were in basic mode. If you want to change the settings, switch to basic mode - the new settings will be saved.

The problem is that it will switch back to the my own profile when exiting from the programme. When I switch back to the Basic" mode, it does NOT save the new setting. It seems to have something to do with a file called "preferences" stored under program files. If I delete this file the setting restors "Basic" mode. It appears that if I change the setting from "Basic" mode to "Advanced" mode, the "Preferences" file update itself, but not otherway round.
Redhotorange
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that when I changed the setting from Basic mode to Advanced, 3 lines were addede to the "Preferences.cfg" under "Usersetting". For some reason, the computer is unable to delete these lines when I try to change the setting back to Basic mode.

Not sure if this is the problem of CP6 or that of my PDA. Does anyone else have this problem Question
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhotorange wrote:
I noticed that when I changed the setting from Basic mode to Advanced, 3 lines were addede to the "Preferences.cfg" under "Usersetting". For some reason, the computer is unable to delete these lines when I try to change the setting back to Basic mode.

Not sure if this is the problem of CP6 or that of my PDA. Does anyone else have this problem Question

I don't have your problem, so it may be specific to your version.
As expected, my CP6 comes back up selecting the same Routing Profile as I had selected when last shutting down, whether it was Basic or Advanced.

As you have found, your PPC CP preferences are stored in:
\Program Files\CoPilot Pocket PC\preferences.cfg

The example from my PPC shows that of my possibly many personal routing profiles, the currently selected one is "motorcycle", in the third line. There is no need to delete this or any other line.
The last line sets "UseProfile"=1, meaning that my selected Advanced profile will be used as default.

If you select Basic under routing and then close CP, this line should become "UseProfile"=0, and then you would get Basic profile on restarting CP.

I don't know why yours would be stuck at "1".

Good luck.

[User Settings]
"ConfirmProfile"=1
"CountryAbbrevType"="EU"
"CurrentProfile"="motorcycle"
"CustomInfoTop"=6
"Cutoff0"=1
"Cutoff0Seconds"=5
"Cutoff1"=1
"Cutoff2"=1
"Cutoff3"=0
"DayNightMode"=1
"DisplayPOIs"=2
"DisplayPOIsGroup"=0
"DisplayRouteArrow"=1
"DisplayTurnRestrictions"=1
"ManualEntryIfNotFound"=1
"NetworkAntialiasing"=0
"PlaceGroup"=1
"ShowHideMenu"=0
"ShowWelcomeDlg"=0
"TripFirstRun"=0
"UseProfile"=1
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Redhotorange
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I noticed was that when I changed the setting from Basic to Advanced or from Default profile to my own profile the PDA update the "Preferences.cfg" file. The file was not updated when the process was reversed.

One of the ways to get away from advanced setting is to reinstall CP6. When I do this I was told that "ALKIM.dll" is in ROM. Switching off PDA does not get rid of this file from the ROM. I have to do a soft re-boot to get rid of this file from the ROM. Is it possible that this file stops me switching back from Advanced setting to the Basic Question Question Question
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhotorange wrote:

One of the ways to get away from advanced setting is to reinstall CP6. When I do this I was told that "ALKIM.dll" is in ROM. Switching off PDA does not get rid of this file from the ROM. I have to do a soft re-boot to get rid of this file from the ROM. Is it possible that this file stops me switching back from Advanced setting to the Basic Question Question Question

I doubt that ALKIM.DLL has anything to do with saving your current profile in preferences.cfg. It happens to be the CoPilot "Fat Finger Keyboard" mentioned in a nearby thread. After running CP you may still find the "CoPilot Keyboard" selected in your PDA's Settings, Input, and this would keep it from being deleted when you uninstall CoPilot.

Why would you uninstall just to bring your default routing profile back to Basic? Isn't it much easier to modify the Preferences.cfg file? You should only have to make the last line read "UseProfile" = 0.

I will try to investigate to see if I can reproduce your problem.

I think that preferences.cfg is only re-written upon (successful) exit from CoPilot. Is there anything unusual about your exit? Do you quit CP via the menu button?
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Redhotorange
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker wrote:
Redhotorange wrote:

I doubt that ALKIM.DLL has anything to do with saving your current profile in preferences.cfg. It happens to be the CoPilot "Fat Finger Keyboard" mentioned in a nearby thread. After running CP you may still find the "CoPilot Keyboard" selected in your PDA's Settings, Input, and this would keep it from being deleted when you uninstall CoPilot.

Why would you uninstall just to bring your default routing profile back to Basic? Isn't it much easier to modify the Preferences.cfg file? You should only have to make the last line read "UseProfile" = 0.

I will try to investigate to see if I can reproduce your problem.

I think that preferences.cfg is only re-written upon (successful) exit from CoPilot. Is there anything unusual about your exit? Do you quit CP via the menu button?

Yes, I realised that "Userprofile"=0 issue later on. Thanks. What I also noticed was that When I changed the setting to Advance, the "Userprofile" automatically updated to 1. When I reverted the setting back to Basic, "userprofile" was not updated back to 0. There was not intention of updating the "Preferences.cfg" file as the date of the file was not changed.

Is this because the "Userprofile"=0 is the last line of the file?
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhotorange wrote:

Yes, I realised that "Userprofile"=0 issue later on. Thanks. What I also noticed was that When I changed the setting to Advance, the "Userprofile" automatically updated to 1. When I reverted the setting back to Basic, "userprofile" was not updated back to 0. There was not intention of updating the "Preferences.cfg" file as the date of the file was not changed.

Is this because the "Userprofile"=0 is the last line of the file?

I doubt it. I too have last line of preferences.cfg as "UserProfile"=0 and I have never seen your problem.

Please confirm: if you set the routing profile to Advanced just once and shutdown, then no matter how many times you revert to Basic and shutdown, the Advanced profile keeps returning as the default?

Again, this preferences.cfg file should be correctly re-written on 'successful' exit from CP. If you 'crash' out of CP you would not have your recent preferences saved. it seems unlikely that you are 'crashing' out each time, except the one time that you exited after switching to Advanced. Crashing would be equivalent to doing a soft reset instead of exit.

Please check if other Preferences are also being discarded on exit, such as map orientation, km/miles etc.

But there is the possibility that this is an intermittent bug not seen by the rest of us.

Good luck.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Redhotorange
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker wrote:

I doubt it. I too have last line of preferences.cfg as "UserProfile"=0 and I have never seen your problem.

Please confirm: if you set the routing profile to Advanced just once and shutdown, then no matter how many times you revert to Basic and shutdown, the Advanced profile keeps returning as the default?

Again, this preferences.cfg file should be correctly re-written on 'successful' exit from CP. If you 'crash' out of CP you would not have your recent preferences saved. it seems unlikely that you are 'crashing' out each time, except the one time that you exited after switching to Advanced. Crashing would be equivalent to doing a soft reset instead of exit.

Please check if other Preferences are also being discarded on exit, such as map orientation, km/miles etc.

But there is the possibility that this is an intermittent bug not seen by the rest of us.

Good luck.

It is really odd. It saves everything else except change from Advanced setting to Basic. Settings are saved on pressing those buttons. I have a feeling that it does not recognise pressing "Basic" button.
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bug in 6.0.0.68. BMWBiker has a later version which seems to have this fixed

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenS writes:

Quote:
This is a bug in 6.0.0.68. BMWBiker has a later version which seems to have this fixed.

Couldn't version 6.0.0.79 (the one BMWBiker has) be posted as a patch on the ALK USA site, and version 6.0.0.77 (the one I have had since receiving CP 6 in November) on the ALK EU site Question While these versions may not cure all the faults, they would at the very least enable users to choose something slightly different, and possibly better, from 6.0.0.68 pending the "real" patch.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: