Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Useful for truckers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Useful for truckers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philthy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Useful for truckers Reply with quote

I have just joined this forum, and was wondering if anybody planned to do a low bridge poi. As you can imagine, getting sent up a road to something you can't get under is a pain. Another thought was keyfuels sites (bunded fuel for truckers), these sites are visited by most heavy traffic daily. Once I get myself sorted with how to create poi files, I'll have a crack at it myself.

Phil
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was being talked about in another thread recently.

Basically the answer is we are quite happy to colate and distribute POI databases, but we obviously cannot go round and create it ourselves.
philthy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: truckers poi Reply with quote

Well it looks like I'll have to download some tools and have a go at it myself...............should be a steep learning curve !!!
Phil
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Low,weak bridges etc POI????? Good idea! Reply with quote

A good friend of mine is a crane driver and would find this useful.
ALso things like weak bridges etc.
Anybody have any ideas?????
Cornz Question
philthy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: weak bridges Reply with quote

Now your talking cornz....that really would be useful to me. I've been setting up my mates pda. I put the speedcam data on for him this weekend. While not complete, he has found it very useful. My pda arrives this morning, and as soon as I can work out how to edit or create poi files I'll have a bash at it. It would be nice if there was some way of placing the data inside the poi ie a bridge is 7.5 tonnes or 16 tonnes say....to save anybody avoiding something they could use.

Anyway creating poi's will keep me out of the cafe eating egg and bacon !!! :D :D :D
Phil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .ov2 file format that the POI's are stored in allows a certain amount of data to be contained within which can be accessed by clicking the POI Icon on screen, this may be the way to go?
Nomad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Low Bridges Reply with quote

I have submitted a Low Bridged OV2 file to Pocket GPS. It is not complete because I only needed to know about bridges of less than 12ft or 3.68metres clearance out of the the major urban areas like London and Manchester. It gives a start anyway and you can add other bridges as you need to from the Truckers Atlas.

Nomad
Abo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be easier to create seperate POI files for low bridges, weak bridges etc. Like the seperate overlays for the different speed cameras from POIplace.

How does everyone here get their longitude and latitude data for creating their POI's? I shove the postcode (or map click) into Multimap which kindly spits out the location in degrees minutes and seconds. I then whire the data into the text file. Is there an easier way?
murphwiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using autoroute and the truckers atlas?
Then export the pushpin file.... or am i talking cr*p?
mountain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the Autoroute method is that you can only export small areas of pushpins so doing the whole country would be tedious indeed.

Also the program to convert Pushpins to TTN POI (Pushpin2POI) doesn't work with Autoroute 2003 (it give spurious results for Pushpins west of the Greenwich meridian, which is most of the country).

It does work with Autoroute 2001 (not sure about 2002)

Piers
mountain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abo wrote:

How does everyone here get their longitude and latitude data for creating their POI's? I shove the postcode (or map click) into Multimap which kindly spits out the location in degrees minutes and seconds. I then whire the data into the text file. Is there an easier way?

If you want to create POI's from postcodes, you should try Richard Davies' Codesearch (available here) which uses George Spanellis' postcode database (available on this page)

A very useful program indeed and much easier and quicker than using Multimap.

Piers
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: I GOT Reply with quote

ive got a down load from a friend who has got truck stops and bridge heights on an autoroute data base im trying to convert it when i have a hour or two ive also just down loaded the low bridge one off here and cant get it show if anyone can help pls contact me 07973 767 907 Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alix,

I’ve just down loaded the zipped file of the Low Bridges POI, unzipped it and saved the .BMP and .OV2 files in the “\Storage Card\Great_Britain Navigator Map” folder. It worked for me.

If you have other POIs working OK, then you might want to try the following:
Do you think that you have too many POIs loaded/active? If so try removing one or two.
Have you bounced (shutdown and restarted) TTNav since you installed the POI? If not it may work.
Have you done a soft reset of your Pocket PC? Best to do rather than a hard reset.

I hope that the above helps and that I’m not trying to teach you to suck eggs! Wink

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: