Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with generic BT GPS in TTN5 on WM5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with generic BT GPS in TTN5 on WM5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HERESY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Problems with generic BT GPS in TTN5 on WM5 Reply with quote

I have an 02 XDA Exec running Windows Mobile 5, after eventually getting TTN5 installed and then getting the voices to work I am now having problems getting TTN to recognise the BT GPS reciever.

I have added the BT GPS as a device and selected to use the serial port service from it. I have added a new outgoing BT port under com4.

Now when I go into TTN5 and configure the GPS device it doen't list com4 or any other bluetooth port, under either 'other BT reciever' or 'other NMEA reciever'. I have tried everyone of the listed ports at every baud rate and have not yet got the little yellow and black circle to spin.

I have looked through as many posts as I could find, but nothing meets this exact problem. What do I do now?

I have found this forum helpful for reference in the past when I had TTN3 on a Dell axim. I hope it will be as helpful now.

Cheers in advance.
vanreet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this m8, it worked for me, i cant remember where i got the info from but it sorted me out straight away, i would like to thank who ever wrote it.

21. On your Pocket PC, go to Settings > Connections to ensure that the GPS icon is there. If it is not then I can only apologise but it may not be possible to get TomTom working with your GPS device. It is necessary for TomTom to see a specific GPS serial port that can (as far as I can tell) only be set by this GPS connection program. After you have paired with your Bluetooth GPS device you could try setting an Outgoing port to COM7: as that is a default COM port that TomTom Navigator can connect to. Do step 22 then skip to step 26.

22. Turn on your Bluetooth GPS and stick it in a location that it's likely to get a signal. On your Pocket PC, enable Bluetooth and search for new devices. Establish a bond (pair) with your GPS device and ensure you check the "Serial Port" option.

23. Go to Settings > Connections > Bluetooth. Create a new Incoming COM Port. I chose COM8 for this.

24. Other guides on the Internet tell you to also create an Outgoing port and setting it as COM7 but doing this would not work on the XDA Exec that I was using so I had to create the Outgoing COM port on COM0. Either way you need an Outgoing COM port to be set. If you can set it as COM7: then you should do so, if not, use COM0:

25. Go to Settings > Connections > GPS. Set the GPS communication port to the same Outgoing COM port that you set above. For the XDA Exec I was using, I had to set it as COM0 above so will set it here as COM0 also. The "Manage GPS Automatically" checkbox should already be checked but if it isn't, check it and OK out.

26. Start up TomTom Navigator using the Programs menu and run through the setup procedure as normal but select "Other Bluetooth GPS" when asked to select a GPS device.

27. TomTom will ask you to now pair your GPS device with your Pocket PC. We've already done that so click Continue.

28. You will be given a list of ports that your GPS device is likely to be on. Remember that this is the Outgoing port that we created earlier in steps 24 and 25. Basically the COM port you set here must be the same as the one you set in step 24 and 25.

29. Select the relevant COM port and then click Next. You will likely be taken straight in to the map view and with any luck your Pocket PC and GPS device will start communicating and your Pocket PC will show your position on the map.

30. If you made a mistake in setting the COM port that your GPS device lives on, simply tap anywhere on the screen. Tap Preferences, tap Next three times until you see an icon that looks like a satellite labelled GPS status. Tap that icon and then tap configure to change the COM port.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heresy, you don't need the GPS icon in the settings/ connections to get this to work, if its a standard O2 Exec ROM then it won't be there - this applet is for running multiple GPS fed programs at the same time.
Once you have established a conection with the GPS unit in Bluetooth Manager go to the COM ports TAB and select new OUTGOING PORT, from the next screen select the GPS unit you have connected and on the last page select COM 0. press finish.
Fire up TomTom and in the Preferences/ GPS Status configure, go for Other Bluetooth, select Continue and select COM 0 from the list (you might need to use the down arrow to make this selection visible, if you use the arrow down you might find COM 4 listed with your current settings Wink before you change anything, if this is the case select it and continue from this point).
The last bit the GPS unit needs a good signal to start to work for the first time so take it all outside and wait (upto 20 mins normally does the trick) - check the yellow/ blue icon top RH is spinning as this shows that communication is taking place between the GPS and the PDA, if its not spinning then a setting is wrong.
OR If all the above fails then the GPS unit might be in SiRF data mode and needs to be reset to output the NMEA data, if it used to work on TT3 (which you mention in your post) this supported SiRF but TT5 does not, you can switch the GPS unit back to NMEA mode using the GPS driver vs2,06 avail from the downloads area of this site - Mike
HERESY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the GPS icon in connections.

I can make the outgoing port com0 or com4, I just chose 4 at random because it weas one of the few ports that it would let me use.

TTN5 still does not list com4 or com0, whichever I use, as an option.

I will give the gps driver from this site a try tonight an see what happens. Thanks for the tips so far.
HERESY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to seem stupid, could someone tell me exactly where the gps driver is in the download section.
atmospheric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: tt5 with bt77 on t mobile mda vario Reply with quote

can anyone help as I am tryin to create an outgoing com port 6 on my mda vario and it is giving me a message saying: "cannot create outgoing port, check settings". Any ideas?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you already have another BT device paired to com 6?
HERESY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, mine didn't prevent me from creating a port, just seeing it in TTN5. I fixed this by installing 5.21
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..PS and have you updated to TTN 5.2?

..wish I could edit.
atmospheric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have another bt device paired to com port 6. I don't own any other devices. Also I have managed with a friends bt77 (the same model) to pair up and get the gps working. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between bt77 ver1 and ver2?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atmospheric wrote:
I don't think I have another bt device paired to com port 6. I don't own any other devices.

In your other post you said you paired with your mates BT receiver on com 6. Have you deleted this pairing?...and are you using TTN 5.2?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: