Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tele Atlas Surges to Leadership Position in Digital Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tele Atlas Surges to Leadership Position in Digital Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Tele Atlas Surges to Leadership Position in Digital Maps Reply with quote

Tele Atlas Surges to Leadership Position in Digital Maps for Personal Navigation

Boston, MA, USA, April 19, 2005

Tele Atlas N.V., a leading global provider of digital map data and other geographic content, today announced that it has taken the European lead in digital maps shipped into the burgeoning market for personal navigation (PNAV) solutions, and that its partners are making increasing headway in the North American market. Based upon market figures for calendar year 2004, compiled by such industry analysts as Canalys (Reading, UK) and IDC (Framingham, MA USA), Tele Atlas shipped over 1.5 million digital maps for PNAV solutions in Europe and North America last year, placing the company in an ideal position for worldwide leadership in this exploding market sector.

Read more...

What I would like to see is TA to become leaders in 'best coverage' and 'most up-to-date maps'.
Would that be too much to ask?

Edited by Tim to update hyperlink.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The high quality of Tele Atlas maps in Europe and North America has been a key component in TomTom's delivery of easy-to-use, portable, and accessible navigation solutions to customers," said Harold Goddijn, TomTom Chief Executive Officer. "We look forward to continuing to work with Tele Atlas to capitalise on the explosive growth in this market."

I think this is fitting for the Einstein year 2005 - didn't he predict parallel universes?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parallel universes as I see them are...

TeleAtlas Universe - where they believe they have high quality and up-to-date mapping and seem hell-bent on global coverage rather than quality coverage.

Real world Universe - Mapping that has many errors, incorrectly named roads and poor coverage of existing countries in their portfolio with roads/towns that are years old that are still not on the maps!
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a little late on this board, but I've been happy with the Tele Atlas software I use with the TomTom 300. I read recently that Tele Atlas provides mapping for websites like mapquest and google...so it seems to be they have to be pretty reliable

The only flaws I know of usually come by way of my driving:)
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not necessarily reliable Gmonkey, perhaps they are cheap and can "claim" to have the widest coverage.

I am not sure there are that many choices for global digital mapping, I would guess a company like Google would have a choice of Teleatlas, Navteq, maybe some smaller companies. Perhaps they go for the cheapest.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rossb wrote:
They are not necessarily reliable Gmonkey, perhaps they are cheap and can "claim" to have the widest coverage.

I am not sure there are that many choices for global digital mapping, I would guess a company like Google would have a choice of Teleatlas, Navteq, maybe some smaller companies. Perhaps they go for the cheapest.

Thanks for the info, icsys...interesting thought. Looking at Tele Atlas' website though, it appears that they are using about 50,000 data inputs for mapping. That seems like quite a bit to me.

Out of curiosity, do you know what the other, more expensive, companies are out there? I know about Tele Atlas and Navteq from researcing players before I started using the TomTom 300
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Tele Atlas and Navteq are the only two 'major players' in the digital mapping arena.

When this thread was started Tele Atlas was surging ahead in global coverage at the expense of updating their current portfolio. I haven't checked for a while so things 'may' have improved.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errors exist, no denying that BUT I have the opportunity to compare Navteq and TA map data regularly and neither is better then the other.

Rumour is Navteq is dearer hence why most providers in EU are switching to TA for handheld devices but they are not IMHO inferior.

Notwithstanding the above, they all have room for improvement.
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thing the Navteq maps are far superior. At least, where I live they are. In Northern Ireland, Navteq have just completed full 100% coverage. Teleatlas have only covered Belfast and Derry/Londonderry. Even then, there are loads of roads missing. In central Belfast I have noticed dozens of roads missing on Teleatlas' maps. All are present on Navteq's. I use Co-Pilot 6 because it was the first Pocket PC product to offer 100% coverage in Norhern Ireland and, although there are still quite a few names missing, they are miles ahead of Teleatlas as their maps seem somewhat 'lazy' due to the amount of missing roads in so called 'fully covered' areas.
belfast-biker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipergrm wrote:
I actually thing the Navteq maps are far superior. At least, where I live they are. In Northern Ireland, Navteq have just completed full 100% coverage. Teleatlas have only covered Belfast and Derry/Londonderry. Even then, there are loads of roads missing. In central Belfast I have noticed dozens of roads missing on Teleatlas' maps. All are present on Navteq's. I use Co-Pilot 6 because it was the first Pocket PC product to offer 100% coverage in Norhern Ireland and, although there are still quite a few names missing, they are miles ahead of Teleatlas as their maps seem somewhat 'lazy' due to the amount of missing roads in so called 'fully covered' areas.

Would you be able to post pics of a few areas if I specify them? I bought Prymenav Navigator, probably mostly on so-called "value for money", but regret it... don't want to make another mistake.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i've heard, ireland is still far from perfect in ireland, though i havent checked recently. i usually hear that both have problems, but i dont think i've realy had any problems with the tele atlas maps i've used.
solo12002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I E mailed tomtom asking about coverage in Northern Ireland heres the reply:

"Thank you for your question regarding TomTom maps. TomTom is investigating the possibility of adding new unsupported countries but TomTom will not do so unless the DIGITAL map data is of a satisfactory quality. May we ask you to please keep an eye on our website in the months to come.

The DIGITAL data for the Republic of Ireland at this time from our DIGITAL map provider Tele Atlas is not of a quality that we find satisfactory. When this improves perhaps we will investigate the possibility of having this map data available.

The TomTom GO 700 will have some map data of Ireland but this will be limited to some areas of Cork, Dublin, and Galway along with the major roads data only. If you are not within the available data on the map then you will not have a GPS signal.

Northern Ireland is covered with 25 percent map coverage (perhaps slightly more) within the GB map but this is all of the DIGITAL map data our DIGITAL map provider Tele Atlas has available to us at this time.

If we decide to include the Republic of Ireland in any downloadable map with GB then only Dublin and the major roads will be included at the present time. That map is posted here and within this map map coverage of Northern Ireland has increased from 25 percent to 34 percent. This map contains the major roads of Ireland and Dublin, but no detailed map as of yet"

So If you live in Northern Ireland and wish to buy a sat Nav system then go for one with NavTeq mapping installed, as they cover most of Northern Ireland and Ireland.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, interesting stuff. I guess its like a movie or something though, you don't want it to come out until it complete. It wouldnt make sense for Tele Atlas to put out maps that are flawed now. We know there are going to be mistakes with any maps, but it would be bad if they were rushed.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rather surprised that TomTom suggest the digital data for RoI is not of satisfactory quality to the point of them not using it.
I will agree it is far from complete but the coverage of RoI by Tele Atlas extends far beyond just 'some areas of Cork, Dublin, and Galway'.

The coverage of my current TA maps of RoI include Athlone, Ballincolling, Bray, Carlow, Cork, Drogheda, Dublin, Dundalk, Dun Laoghaire, Galway, Kildare, Kilkenney, Limerick, Navan, Sallybrook, Sligo, Swords, Tralee, Waterford, Wexford down to street level. And this data is 12 months old now.

I think maybe TomTom are selling their Irish customers short by not including the current Tele Atlas offering.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's alot of areas, though it will probably be more expansive than that when tomtom puts the ta maps out. i can't imagine they have a good reason to give the shaft to the irish.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: