Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Warning
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think noLCD has a similar solution to the above but still would not get any over speed warning, just the location warning.

What we need to find out if whether 36 seconds to go is specified by the POILoader based on the camera speed or whether the i3 does it internally in it's firmware. If it's the POILoader then a hack to the loader maybe possible however I doubt that we could change the i3 firmware.

To change the over speed warning to a higher setting (e.g. 33 mph) is of course possible but this increases the warning distance and the banner would say '33 mph' speed limit.

Presumably someone at Garmin thought they were being really clever with the speed camera feature but the actual impementation is a bit restrictive.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But NoLCD's idea was to upload the database twice at the same time. Once as it is which would continue to give the warnings if you go above the speed limit and the second stripped of any speed info on the CSV file with the distance set manually so you get the icons appearing at the desired distance. I Think this may well work but haven't tried it myself yet.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or is it just my wild imagination ?........... Rolling Eyes
s7uar7
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you could also do is use the speed zoned files, strip out the speeds from the files and rename the file so it doesn't contain the speed, then create bitmaps to go with each one with the speed in the icon. That way you could load them with a manual distance but still know the speed from glancing at the map. The only problem would be that you would't get the constant 'bong' if you're over the speed limit.

In fact, I think I'll try it this afternoon.
s7uar7
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've had a go at doing this. I gave up on the idea of putting the speed limit in the bitmap as it was too small to see. I'm using now using a comprimise between speed/distance that alerts you at a reasonable distance, but still shows you the speed. It's a bit fiddly to set up at first, but it's worth the effort:-

1) Extract the speed zoned csv files from the PGPSW zip file.
2) Rename them and change the number in the filename to a word, e.g. 30 to thirty (if POI Loader sees the number it uses it as the default speed). I rename mine so they are in the format zSpeedcam_uk_<camera type>_<speed in words> e.g. zSpeedcam_uk_gatso_thirty.csv
3) Remove the speed alerts in the file in Excel (Find '@??' Replace With <Leave Blank>)
4) Do another Find and Replace to add the speed limit to the name of the camera, e.g. Find 'GATSO' Replace With 'GATSO 30mph '. I put a space after the mph to make it easier to read on the i3.
5) Repeat 2,3 & 4 above for all the speed zoned files
6) Create copies of the relevant bitmap (one for each file) and rename them to match the file type e.g. make 4 copies of zSpeed Cam.bmp and rename them to zSpeedCam_uk_gatso_thirty.bmp, ..forty.bmp etc.
7) Upload them to the i3 using Manual, and enter a distance for it to alert you.

When you approach a camera it will 'bong' once at your chosen distance and display the name of the camera (which now includes the speed limit) along the top of the screen. The only thing it doesn't do is bong repeatedly if you're over the speed limit.
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably the best we can hope for.....

I'll try it myself tomorrrow. :D
NoLCD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pretty much what I have done, I changed the bitmap to show a generic speedcamera symbol (mine is an exclamation mark). I used the single file version and stripped speed info as above. However as I have trashed my mini usb socket I'm stuck with whats already loaded!
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I may be being thick but are you saying you can't have you r cake and eat.

You can either have it in current mode whereby the cameras don't appear on th emap unless you are going too fast.

Or you can have the new mode which gives yu the camera icon on the map but doesn't tell you you are moving too fast
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion has been superseded by the great work from the two posters in this thread:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=37218

And this thread:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36334

This should sort you out.

Nick.
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D cheers fella

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: