Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Warning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Warning Reply with quote

I have looked thru' past threads and it seems that I should be able to change the warning distance and speed for the speed cameras.

I have downloaded the latest database and copied the files into a folder which also contains other POIs such as Tesco stores. I have used POI Loader and selected manual.

After downloading the database, if I go to the custom points, select a Gatsco category and then one of the camera sites in the list it still shows the original speed and distance (e.g. 30 mph and 1585ft).

Is this normal or should the alarm range and alarm distance show as being changed?

Thanks
Shez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using a nuvi have a look at the third page of this thread. (Basically install them manually rather than automatically)

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=32386
Shez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed sorry - Didn't see that you'd already tried it manually Embarassed
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops should have mentioned it's an i3.

Driving tonight confirmed that the speed and distance have not been changed Crying or Very sad

Any ideas greatlly appreciated.
s7uar7
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been trying to do the same thing on mine as it alerts far too far in advance using the default settings. As far as I can tell you can either have it alert at a custom distance (by stripping out the speeds in the .csv & using a manual upload) or have it alert on speed, but not both.
s7uar7
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to elaborate, what I was hoping to be able to do was have the i3 behave in the same way as using the manual mode, i.e. a constant 'bong' if you're over the speed limit, but not start alerting until 500 ft. If you leave the @30 in the csv file POI Loader picks up on this and uses the default 1585ft regardless of what you put in as the distance; if you remove it or set it to @0 you can set the distance, but then the i3 doesn't know what speed to set the 'bong' to.
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused.

Is it possible using the manual mode of the POI Loader to change both speed and distance as it implies?

If not, is it possible to change either the speed or distance only using the manual mode of POILoader?

Alternatively, if you manually edit the database files, can you change both speed and distance - seems like you should be able to?

Is it possible to stop the high pitch beep for overspeed? I would prefer just the bong for warning ahead (not too far) and the icon showing the speed. I can then read my speedo to slow down etc.

Thanks for all the help.
s7uar7
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible using the manual mode of the POI Loader to change both speed and distance as it implies?

No. POI Loader sees the speed in the file (e.g. @30) and disregards what you enter in POI Loader

If not, is it possible to change either the speed or distance only using the manual mode of POILoader?

No. If there is a speed defined in the file that overides anything you enter using manual mode.

Alternatively, if you manually edit the database files, can you change both speed and distance - seems like you should be able to?

If you remove the speed from the file then using manual mode you can either set your own default speed, and POI Loader will auto calculate the distance based on that, or you can set the distance, but then it won't display the speed limit.

Is it possible to stop the high pitch beep for overspeed? I would prefer just the bong for warning ahead (not too far) and the icon showing the speed. I can then read my speedo to slow down etc.

Not that I know of.

I don't know if it would require a change to POI Loader or the i3 firmware, but I agree, there should be a way to have the speed limit displayed and customize the distance, but that doesn't seem to be possible at the moment.
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now I have switched from my laptop to desktop pc and using POILoader 2.0.2.0 it only allows me to select either the speed or the distance with the manual option.

However, it still does not make any difference to the listed speed if I change 30 mph to 35 mph etc! Nor does changing the default distance from 1500ft to 800ft ...............

Changing ASDA to alarm at 2000ft works OK and is listed as such on the i3.

Now I've downloaded POILoader 2.2.1 and it complains that all csv files are invalid !!!!!!
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So gone back to POILoader 2.0 which works OK with csv files. However, I have now tried to disable alarm warning by unchecking tick box in POILoader manual mode.

Guess what? No change.................

What am I doing wrong?
s7uar7
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using the speed camera .csv files then it is because they have the speed defined in them (@30, @40 etc). That overides everything else. You can do a find and replace in Excel to remove the speeds (find @?? and leave the replace box blank) which will let you define your own distance in manual mode, but it won't then tell you the speed limit.
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for that. By deleting the @30 etc from the csv files I can either set a new distance manually using POILoader or set a new speed with the default distance.

So does anyone know how the i3 generates it's default distance. It doesn't appear to be in the csv file, nor implied by the name. But somehow it changes the default distance based on something. It seems to be the speed multiplied by 52.

Also the default speed seems to come from the file title e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_58.csv would set the default speed to 58 mph.

I expect everyone else knew that already....................................

But does anyone know if the 52 multiply function is set in the i3 firmware or not? Could it be changed to say 25 for those of us who would like to set a speed slightly over the camera limit and also get a shorter distance warning?
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've done a lot of testing today using the latest POILoader and the MaFt modified POI files.

The pocket gps speed zoned files have each gatso with it's speed appended e.g. '@30' for 30 mph. Even id the manual setting is used, POILoader sets up the i3 with the @ speed and default distance. The i3 gives an over speed repeating ping if you are exceeding the speed limit. Also there is a nice '30 mph speed limit ahead' banner on top of the screen.

The file name itself also has the speed defined e.g.'pocketgps....30'. POILoader seems to use this as the default speed but as long as then file does not contain the '@30' then the speed or distance can be changed. However, if the distance is changed you do not get the over speed pings and the banner lists the gatso site number instead of the nice banner.

Has anyone found a way to decrease the alarm distance but keep the banner (I'd rather know the speed limit setting than the gatco site number)?

Even better would be a way to change both the over speed warning (to add a couple of mph) and reduce the distance (fixed at 36 seconds to go)?
jackboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had same problem with mine. I choose the I3 over the TomTom One cos i wanted the better speed camera facilities. But at teh moment it doesn't seem possible to have teh speed details left in the file AND change the warning distance. I'm hoping someone will find a way round this in the future.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoLCD may have found the solution. look at this link:
http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34637

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: