Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Get your Compact Flash GPS working with TomTom 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Get your Compact Flash GPS working with TomTom 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Get your Compact Flash GPS working with TomTom 5 Reply with quote

After nearly 7 days of testing,

see here for detailed info

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=32868

I can finally report getting TomTom to work with my Dell Axim X51v with the Haicom CF multimode Hi-303III. Now this is i believe only a work around and i don't understand what is actually going on behind the scenes in the software, maybe some other with programming expertise may be able to help. Anyway solution is as follows, but please check the detailed info above for insight to the problem.

To get TomTom and a CF device to work on the Axim with WM5,

1. Install TomTom
2. Set up you home button so that it will switch to today screen. (start,settings,buttons, select button 4 and then assign Today to this, ok)
2.1 Make sure no other GPS software is running and insert CF GPS and be outside.
3. Run TomTom
4.Tap screen in middle
5.Select change preferances
6. page right
7. page right
8. page right
9. show GPS status
10. select configure
11. select other cable nmea gps
12. select the correct baud rate for your device (4800 for most)
13. select your CF device which should be something like "CF_Compact GE"
14. select Done, DO NOT WAIT FOR A SIGNAL YOU WILL NOT GET ONE, this will change once you have a fix but you cannot keep the tomtom screens in view, see further below.

Note the display should be shaded grey (no GPS signal).
15. now press the home button, which if you have set up correctly will take you to the today screen. TomTom will now get a fix, tap the little tomtom logo and you should find it will change to colour, if it doesnt go back to the today screen until it does.

The work around will only work while you do not have tomtom displayed and as soon as you display the tomtom map or anyting within tomtom application you will loose the signal. It will work with the today screen showing giving you the right instructions. I do not know what tomtom are doing whilst displaying the screen, i suspect they are polling the port which stops it from functioning in the Axim.

I hope this helps a few of you guys to get your CF devices working, it works for me.

Best of luck

Mav
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted reply to your previous entries re iPaq and 305III.

Interested to know...

Have you tried other GPS unit (however connected)?

In order to preserve your 'investment' - have you tried the 305III as a serially connected GPS unit - It's OK for in car but a bit of a pain if you do a lot of walking with it!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the "generic" nature of the topic title I'll post my experience of using TT5 and HAICOM 305III.

I already had TT5 (latest patches) installed on iPaq 3660 PC2002. Maps on a CF card. The GPS was a serially connected Garmin GPS mouse.

Took 305III. Installed the 305/SD card reader driver on iPaq.

Took CF card out of iPaq. Copied files from CF card to SD card.

Placed SD card in 305III

Placed 305III in CF slot of iPaq 3660

Turned it on

Selected the Haicom port in TT5 for the GPS unit.

Took it into car and it had locked and displayed location within 2 mins.

I didn't even have to tell TT5 that the map location had changed. The SD card appears as a different folder name to the CF card in PC2002 - but something figured it out!

It also works fine with the wonderful OziexplorerCE software.

I am having all sorts of problems with Pocket Anquet V6 - but this uses the .NET framework and seems to be 'over engineered'. However it does recognise the 305 and will plot the position - it just seems to crash when it needs to re-tile the map as I navigate off the edge!

Phil
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Given the "generic" nature of the topic title

Yep maybe that was oversight, but at this time i dont know if its an Axim issue, a WM5 issue or TT5 or combination.

Anyway unit has now been returned because the co i purchased it from said it would work with the Axim and clearly it doesnt, properly.

Having abit of a battle with them at mo to refund me in full, but hey ho ill carry on trying.

Cheers

Mav

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: