Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncp218
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: GPS Advice Reply with quote

Hi

I have recently brough a Sony Clie NR70V and am considering connecting it to some form of GPS so that I can use it for mapping.

I have been looking at both GPS "mouses" such as the Haicom 203E, but after reading of peoples problems with them I am considering getting a proper GPS receiver, such as a Garmin eTrex or similar. I am after advice on what will connect to what and where are the best places to get them from.

I want to use the PDA for some navigation software such as Fugawi so that I can use OS mapping for off-road driving, and also for on-road mapping.

I would appreciate any comments or recommendations, my main concern is finding a GPS that will work with the Sony and getting the necessary cables for it.

Thanks
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugawi UK wouuld be good and allow you to use OS maps, and I believe they have a version for the Palm OS too. From a Street Routing point of view, Palm is limited to what it can use. For the UK there is RoutePlanner and CityMaps from TomTom, but if you really want the die-hard re-routing, voice navigatin, road blocks, speed camera support then you do unfortunately need to switch to the Pocket PC.

Palm are picking up speed, and Palm/Sony handhelds are starting to get close to Pocket PC quality in terms of features, and hopefully more solutions will come out for the Palm OS in the next 6-12 months.

If you take a look at our GPS Hardware Page you'll see which GPS Receivers will attach to the Sony, and also if you look at the fourth table, you'll see which Garmin style cables you can connect to which handhelds.
ncp218
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the advice. I was off work this week so took the plunge. I ended up getting a Garmin eTrex and Fugawi mapping software. I am very impressed with the setup the only problem was getting the cable as GPS Warehouse did not stock them. But a quick visit to the PC-Mobile site and the cable arrived the next day.

I am just wondering whether it is possible to persuade Fugawi to look at the memory stick instead of the internal memory to find the maps because this way I could store a lot more on the handheld. Do you think if I copied them over using the MSImport function onto the stick and then copied them on and off the internal memory as I needed them that this would work?

Thanks
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Fugawi on the Pocket PC will, so I would think providing the technology supports it (e.g. Memory-Stick), then I would think Fugawi would be able to do this on the Sony.
ncp218
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Fugawi and got a reply back in under 10minutes saying that all I needed was the next version of the software from their site. 1.5 hours later the updated was downloaded, hot-synced with the palm and I now have the facility to move maps between the memory stick and the palm. The only draw back I can find is that it appears that you have to "sync" the maps to the internal memory first before you move them onto the stick.
ncp218
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

OK I have been running this setup:-
Garmin eTrex
Fugawi
Sony Clie

For the past week or so. The system works fine on the 1:250,000 scale and 1:1,000,000 scale and shows my position accuratly, well as accurate as you can get. I tried to plot my route home from work the other night, 6 miles or so, on to a 1:50,000 scale map extract. When I uploaded this to the PC I noticed that I was always about 15-20m away from the actual position on the map compared to the track. Is this beacause I had not
"uploaded" the map at 100% per cent scale in order to see more on the screen, or is there some kind of adjustment I can apply in order to improve this. I understand that GPS's are only accurate to about 20ft max but to be 20m away seems a bit extreme, especially if you were using the map for walking and wanted to know where you were!!!!

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: