Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 4400 Bluetooth Receiver Sold Seperately
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 4400 Bluetooth Receiver Sold Seperately

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Navman 4400 Bluetooth Receiver Sold Seperately Reply with quote

I know there's been a lot of interest in the Navman 4400 Bluetooth Receiver as a standalone product here in the forums, and Navman did say that they would be selling this later this year. Well good news for those who wait!

Navman are now selling the 4400 Bluetooth as a seperate receiver at NavCity for £199.99 Inc VAT. A slight difference which is going to confuse the hell out of everyone, is it's now the Navman 4100 (standalone), or Navman 4400 (software bundled).

NavCity has had a less than favourable response in the forums in the last few months, but I suspect if Navman are now releasing these to retailers, it won't be long before others have them and £199 is a bargain for a Bluetooth Receiver!
Phreakster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, I was wondering would the navman 4100 work with other GPS software like tom tom. As I like the idea of this BT GPS reciever, but dont really want to fork out more money for the software.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will, I've tested it extensively. It advertises itself as a standard Bluetooth Serial device, so any software should be able to connect to it without problem. Thumbs Up
big_zippy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: What about the 3100? (iPAQ Jacket of 3450 bundle) Reply with quote

I've noticed that they are also selling the standalone jacket for £179.99. Would you recommend these too? The review posted here doesn't really tell me anything although the jacket has had some favourable reviews (e.g. the November edition of PC PRO).

I like the idea of having one unit with one on/off button, and the CF card slot is a big bonus.

BZ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say. If it's the new 3450 sleeve but sold as a 3100 then it will be great. If it's the old 3000/3400/3420 sleeve then you will see some slow TTFF's on it now and again.
Phreakster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering how accurate this device is as it says on their product description that it is accurate to 5 meters 95% of the time... wonder what the accuracy is on 5% of the time is isnt.

http://www.navman-mobile.com/html/4400.htm
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All GPS Receivers are accurate 95% of the time within 15 meters. They are all the same, one model over another won't change that.

If you use DGPS or SBAS (WAAS/EGNOS) then you can get to within 5 meters accuracy, but you won't get this whilst driving as too many errors will creep in.

SBAS is really only good for at walking speeds. You are unlikely to see any benefits when driving with SBAS.
Phreakster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about all of the questions. But basically I need a bluetooth gps reciever for driving purposes only.

I've basically narrowed it down to the tom tom bt gps and the navman 4100, this is the hard part. which one do I choose? or is it better to hold on and wait for something that is just around the corner to appear on the market.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other Bluetooth GPS Receivers on the verge of coming out, but nothing ground breaking.

Both Navman and TomTom BT GPS' work pretty much the same in performance, it's just whether you want to have to keep charging AAA batteries, or buying new ones and throwing them away, or whether you want a Lithium-Ion style mobile phone battery which is integrated.

The other big thing is the size, the Navman BT GPS is a lot larger than the TomTom BT GPS which is easily placed in a shirt pocket. The Navman one adds quite a bulge and sag to it Happy
handnav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Reading the forums here, I guess you are not sure about Navman GPS3100. Just like GPS4100 is exactly the same as GPS4400 but without the software, GPS3100 is same as GPS3450 but without the software. Box contains GPS Jacket, In-Car Charger and Suction Mount.

Excellent value £179.99. HandNav Technology Limited also offers this product if anyone is interested, for further information visit http://www.handnav.co.uk/html/more.php?pid=GPS3100

Best regards.

Chetan
justin.stevens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Navman 4100 wont work with 3400 software ?!?! Reply with quote

Hi...

Over the last couple of years I have spent a considerable amount of money on Navman hardware and software. Firstly I bought the Navman 3000 and later upgraded to the 3400. I have never found the sleeves too reliable and am interested in purchasing the Navman 4100. But am I to inderstand that the 4100 wont work with my existing software ?? I find it a bit much for them to expect me to buy the software a third time. Surely I ought to be able to patch my existing software to work with the Navman 4100 ?

Kind Regards,

Justin
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navman 4400 will work, basically the 4400 gives you the new BT GPS and a new revision of SmartST Pro that will work with the receiver. The current SmartST Pro I believe won't work with the 4100 receiver, you would need the new version of the software (which means you will be re-buying the software).

Certainly speak to Navman Support and see what they say, there may be another workaround I am not aware of.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: