Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calligrapher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1275mini wrote:
I think £19.00 is a small price to pay if it saves you money and points on your licence Laughing i will pay it!

Are you saying that you deliberately go above the speed limit or are you saying that £19 is king, blow the principles involved in getting to that point.
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
gingernut777 wrote:
I can't see WHY they can't stick to the voluntry donations as they have done in the past.

Just a wild stab in the dark, because I don't know any more than you do, but could it possibly be that those voluntary contributions weren't enough to mantain the site?

So why they didn't let us know?
I can see what PGPSW Team are thinking:
Why everybody else is making money on the Camera Database and we are not????
I understand that but, the data, as far as I understand, does not belong to PGPSW. So we got to come to a solution that will keep this site going without upsetting, ie told to go somewhere else, its members.
Lets hope this will be soon for the sake of this "once" united comunity.
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornz wrote:
If you speed and get flashed by a camera, how is that a fault of the database. All speed camera locations must have signs within x distance. If you choose to ignore those signs and speed, you have no one to blame but yourself.
The blurb on the speedcamera website says essentially the same thing.
Its an aid, not a solution.

I don't quite understand how you arrived at that pearl of wisdom, you need to read my original question on page 17.

There I state that I don't have a problem in paying for something that is of value to me (I don't want to get into discussions of the rights and wrongs of charging for the database here).

What I want to be able to do is to assess whether it is going to be of value to me and one way of doing that is to see what confidence PGPSW have in their product. The more prepared they are to offer a refund the more I feel that they have confidence in their product.

This is why it is a bit pointless every man and his dog giving an opinion on my questions. What I really need is an answer from the PocketGPSTeam.

So - what about it (PGPSW) guys, we know you read the forums. I'm not asking for a justification, that's history, all Im asking for is an answer:-

Question 1 (money back if I don't like the product) - Yes or No?
Question 2 (money back if I'm flashed by an unrecorded camera) - Yes or No?

Then I can better make my decision
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, What about all of us pensioners, another £2 each month t pay out, I rely on the camera alerts to keep me awake Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
jheward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
bbbill wrote:
As a separate and personal matter, I just paid ten quid, as a donation, will that be taken into account ?

Anyone who has made a donation to us will be credited the amount of the donation to their subscription.

Mike - In another thread a moderator posted that people who had donated money would get a years free subscription. This is different to your post?

Also, I posted the following on Sunday:

"I have been a site visitor for about a year. I have used the database during this time. However, I do not do many miles and have therefore not found any new cameras in my area.

However, since I find the database useful, I decided it was only fair that I contributed in some way. So, I donated some money via paypal a few months ago - before any of the changes were announced. I thought this was an appropriate way of joining the community and saying thankyou. I did this of my own free will with no incentives or proposed rewards.

Now, I feel a little upset as it has been said that people who donated money would get a years free subscription to the database (whereas contributors of cameras, even if only 1 camera, would get a lifetime subscription).

I feel that I contributed in a way that was appropriate since I had found no new cameras. Why I am not on the same reward structure as everyone else? What else could I have done to contribute to the running of the site?

I would appreciate a response from Darren or a mod on this please as I feel it is a genuine point. I hope you can address the balance here.

I wish you all the best in the future. Thanks for your help"

I have been told by the "PGPS Team" that my post is being considered. Can you tell me what the latest information is.

I firmly believe that people who donated any money should be on the same playing field as those who donated camera positions (ie. A lifetime free subscription).
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im connecting on a modem via a bt line which i have to pay line rental for, i have to pay an ISP in order to access all this free open source software. I, being a windows user, have to pay for the bits and operating system to make my computer do what i want. My point is that you ultimately make someone else richer, thats the order of commerce. If you dont like the idea of paying, dont use the database. Its simple really..
No more from me on this now...Thats my opinion and im entitled to it..
Happy new ticket free 2006.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornz wrote:
Im connecting on a modem via a bt line which i have to pay line rental for, i have to pay an ISP in order to access all this free open source software. I, being a windows user, have to pay for the bits and operating system to make my computer do what i want. My point is that you ultimately make someone else richer, thats the order of commerce. If you dont like the idea of paying, dont use the database. Its simple really..

Hang on a minute - the very same people you are saying "don't use it" may well have contributed to it's contents and forming. And bearing in mind, may have done so with the community spirit that it would always be free.

Your analogy is quite bogus. A more correct analogy would be an open source development of something, that was then magically changed into a commercial product.

cornz wrote:
No more from me on this now...

Best thing for you.

cornz wrote:
Thats my opinion and im entitled to it..

As am I entitled to point out such a glaring flaw in your stated point.
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
...Your analogy is quite bogus. A more correct analogy would be an open source development of something, that was then magically changed into a commercial product.

By a mirror site that decided to charge per download Sad
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornz wrote:
No more from me on this now...Thats my opinion and im entitled to it..
Happy new ticket free 2006.

You really need to read my original post before climbing on your bandwagon
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the bottom of the SC download page it reads:

Disclaimer

The Pocket GPS database and data contained within it are owned by and copyright of PocketGPSWorld.com, all rights reserved worldwide. This data is not allowed to be reproduced on any website or in any application in part or in full without the prior written authorisation of PocketGPSWorld.com. No permission will be granted to companies, organisations, websites or author's who distribute our data without a current license from PocketGPSWorld.com.

Quote "The Pocket GPS database and data contained within it are owned by and copyright of PocketGPSWorld.com, all rights reserved worldwide."

How can someone own and copyright something that doesn't belong to them, lets not forget that most of the data was supplied by members of this site. We could even argue that the site and location of the cameras (database) is property of the MOT.

Quote "This data is not allowed to be reproduced on any website or in any application in part or in full without the prior written authorisation of PocketGPSWorld."

Has PGPSW have a written permission from ALL the members that have contributed to the database to forfeit they rights (If they had any) of ownership and copyright?

I'm not having a go at PGPSW team but it would be nice to know what they think.

Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Team are about as they appear to be answering other queries in other parts of the Forum. I now think that we are wasting our time and energy. They are not going to change their minds, so best get used to it.
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satellite wrote:
How can someone own and copyright something that doesn't belong to them, lets not forget that most of the data was supplied by members of this site. We could even argue that the site and location of the cameras (database) is property of the MOT.

In copyright law you do not hold rights over an idea but the expression of an idea - in this case the database and not the locations of the cameras.
Rights exist where there was "substantial investment in obtaining, verifying or presenting the contents of the database".
I don't doubt that PGPSW has the rights to the database.

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A read of this might help,

Material provided by others and used with permission. Midis, graphic images (including web graphics, photos, logos and other digital art), writings, text, HTML, javascripts or other material that you are given permission to use or display on your web site does not entitle you to claim copyright to the material in question. Permission to use someone else's material does not make you the rightful owner or holder.

This taken from,

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
Permission to use someone else's material does not make you the rightful owner or holder.

I think this is why they have decided to offer free subscriptions to contributors.

Legally, someone can't claim copyright to contributed speed camera information because the copyright is retained by the contributor. Giving a free subscription to contributors is a way of overcoming this copyright issue.
Outlander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK as Darren was unable to answer my last questioned concerning extension of time to report cam sites, as my GO had to be retuned to TOM TOM for repair and I was unable to send in such information at the appropriate time.

My GO was returned now working yesterday 12th Jan 06. I now have new information for D/B, will this give me lifetime membership or will I be penalised for having a broken TOM TOM.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 23 of 44

Jump to: