Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all have been mugged!
Samsung Galaxy S11
Samsung Galaxy s3
Galaxy s4
Galaxy s5
Galaxy tab s
The penalty for bigamy is two Mother-in-Laws
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Will I get my money back ... Reply with quote

To the PGPSW Team:-

I repeat the questions I asked on page 17:-

1. Is the database governed by the Distance Selling Regulations and thus will I be able to get my money back if I don't like it?

2. If I (or anyone else) am flashed by a camera not in the database it is therefore demonstrably 'not fit for the purpose sold' - will I get my money back?
MrRusty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Is the database governed by the Distance Selling Regulations and thus will I be able to get my money back if I don't like it?

2. If I (or anyone else) am flashed by a camera not in the database it is therefore demonstrably 'not fit for the purpose sold' - will I get my money back?

point 1. Most probably like all software, it can only be returned if demonstrably faulty. You try ordering software online, and then opening the shrinkwrap. If you don't like it, you won't get a refund.

point 2 if you buy a road atlas, and you find a road that isn't shown, is it "not fit for purpose"?. I don't think so.
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

point 2 if you buy a road atlas, and you find a road that isn't shown, is it "not fit for purpose"?. I don't think so.[/quote]

Surely this depends on version age, if the road was there prior to production of the atlas, then yes it is not fit for the purpose, I do not consider the Camera database to be software but more of a product.
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, guys, I don't want to start a discussion on this I just want an answer, one way or the other, from the PGPSW team (which is why the original post was addressed to them) so that we all know where we stand - then we can make an informed decision on whether it is worth buying the database.
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
To be honest, guys, I don't want to start a discussion on this I just want an answer, one way or the other, from the PGPSW team (which is why the original post was addressed to them) so that we all know where we stand - then we can make an informed decision on whether it is worth buying the database.

Yes, your right
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you speed and get flashed by a camera, how is that a fault of the database. All speed camera locations must have signs within x distance. If you choose to ignore those signs and speed, you have no one to blame but yourself.
The blurb on the speedcamera website says essentially the same thing.
Its an aid, not a solution.
Calligrapher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are we getting no replies from those who seek to change the rules of the game? The moderators are saying, 'We're only the moderators, not the bosses, don't shoot the messenger'.

As has previously been asked, time and time again, what is your response to the many criticisms of the actual decision, the way it was announced, the lack of meaningfull response to queries, et al.

Or are we to judge that your response is, 'let them grumble away for a few weeks, there's plenty of new boys out there who will buy what we are selling, so let's ignore the present site members and they will go away'.

How professionally you have handled things.

A number of very helpful suggestions have been made, a number of silly remarks have been made in return.

I honestly believed that I had joined a site that was populated by enthusiasts, led by a dedicated team of self taught experts who were propounding the joys of gps technology.

Perhaps I'm just naive.

Tell me I'm not, or even just tell me what you think to this hornet's nest you have stirred up.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Will I get my money back ... Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:

I think it's probably classed as software so they won't necessarily be obliged to give you your money back.

Provided the database is "as described", they are probably on fairly firm ground. For a description of the database, have a look at the text in bold red on the camera database download page. It appears to me that this is a fair description of the product.

As for getting photographed, all you have to do is report the camera and they will give you a month's subscription free as they do for everyone who reports a camera location! Wink
juliem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like some who have posted I'm not happy about this looming charge. I understand the need for the charge and want the database to be kept up to date, but also free. Couldn't people donate money?? I'd donate money for a great service and I'm sure other people would too, but will that be enough to cover your running costs? I feel donations would be the best solution. Sure some people wouldn't donate and others would but at least you have mix of the two.
flinty99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calligrapher wrote:
Why are we getting no replies from those who seek to change the rules of the game? The moderators are saying, 'We're only the moderators, not the bosses, don't shoot the messenger'.

So who is the boss?

I thought as being listed as a Director and a "Full time Employee" of PGPSW like Mike Barrett is would have put him high on the list.

But then what would I know, I always assumed "Free for ever" had the same meaning all over but I was obviously wrong there as well.
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is free in this world. Ive used the database for free for a number of years now, its probably saved me 3 points on several occasions.
Christ folks, its £2.00. Less than a pint of beer, same as carparking for a couple of hours. Its not a great deal is it really. Sheesh, shut up moaning, if you dont like the idea then go elsewhere. Every other site has been charging for this data a lot longer than PGPSW. If other sites do it then so should this one. I bet the amount of users has increased exponetially in the last few years. I say the guys who run it should get some recompense.

I dont mind paying a few quid to keep my licence clean(er). Besides, if youve ever contributed then its free isnt it. Fair trade, i keep the camera database upto date in my area and i get it free. WHats the problem there then..If you havent been bothered to contribute then you must expect to pay.
My rant over...
Cornz.#
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornz,

Are you another one on the 'Payroll'

The database was supplied 'By the People for the People'

As it says HERE

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=26703&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

They were moaning other were charging for the database, now they themselves want to charge for it.

Double dealings I think.
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornz wrote:
Nothing is free in this world...

Funny you should say that...

You are posting your thoughts using a free web-browser on a PHPBB Bulletin Board which is embeded within the PHP Nuke templating framework. PHP Nuke uses the PHP programming language running on the Apache webserver. It uses a back-end MySQL database to store all the data. These, in turn, are all running on the LINUX operating system. Every single one of these is free Open Source software. The reason all this software is free and open is because it's built by the community for the community.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a quite a lot of hypothesis about responsibility/liability here. But if I remember correctly (and please correct me where I am mistaken), you and you alone are responsible for any law which you break. Others may be guilty of the ADDITIONAL offence of 'aiding and abetting', but this is quite a separate matter.

So far as any database is concerned, they are not 'allowing you to speed', they are simply warning you of areas where the road conditions are such, that you need to be aware of your speed - to attempt to do anything else would possibly be illegal. You are responsible in ensuring that you are driving within the speed limit - not anyone else. They have no liability for any speeding tickets.

As for the accuracy of the data, and fitness for purpose, any 'unfitness' would have to be proved in court. As it is known and accepted that a database, which is after all a historical document, is never 100% up-to-date, where would the law (not anyone else) draw the line? And remember there are many aspects to consider here - missing data, extra data, data where the limit is too high, data where the limit is too low, along with the time it takes the data to be corrected (i.e. for how many releases), also, each type of error would probably be weighted differently. Can you imagine the costs involved in providing evidence acceptable to a court.

I really do wish that someone would close this thread; it is now so long that it is just about impossible to re-read to check that you are not repeating what has been said before, and as a consequence seems to be going around in circles. In the event that you do read the complete thread, it would probably take several days just to make sense of all the different information it contains.

There are at least two major threads, one to do with responsibility for the quality of the data, and another about charging for the database, along with probably numerous other smaller ones.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 21 of 44

Jump to: