Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator map errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator map errors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator map errors Reply with quote

Tim

Your problem; good GPS signal but Navigator unable to find a route.

When I first installed Nav, v1.41 and used it with GPS v1.4 I had a series of similar problems. In fact the programme locked up on several occasions.

I advised TomTom and they advised that GPS 1.4 was the likely cause with some equipment. ( I was using a Navman 3000 Jacket) i.e. it was 'overlaoding the PDA.

They advised that GPS V1.41 should solve the problem

GOOD NEWS, In my case, with GPS V1.41 it has NOT recurred. Touch Wood!!!!!!!!!
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator map errors Reply with quote

Tim

Locking up problems and lack of ability to plan SOME routes reappeared this a.m.

Have advised TomTom

Sorry
yellow1
Occasional Visitor

After discussing the map problems with Dave on gpspassion.com's forums, I found a site that offers online TeleAtlas maps www.map24.com and checked a TomTom map problem on the list (bridges) and they were there. I don't know the Uk well enough to check the others but someone with some time can give it a try !

It's all about sharing the info
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Keith, I agree, the TeleAtlas maps there look okay. One other thing we have been discussing is with problems like the bridges that are out, whether things like this is down to compression (see the Maps and Impurities article for more info.
Gadjet
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I've found another glitch in the TTN software, the route shown tells you to drive off the roundabout on to the road below instead of using the roundabout's exit, although the voice direction is correct.

Gadjet

MartinC
Occasional Visitor

The A55 though Anglesey doesn't seem to exist - has someone posted this already?
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

Forth Road Bridge Missing!

A major error in the map and routing in central Scotland. The Forth Road Brige does not show because of the water appearing as land, this I had hoped was cosmetic only, BUT the routing does not appear to take the Bridge, instead diverting all routes via the Kincardine bridge about 20 miles west of the main Forth Road Bridge. This is totally unacceptable.
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by 3GGG on 28 October 2002Forth Road Bridge Missing!

A major error in the map and routing in central Scotland. The Forth Road Brige does not show because of the water appearing as land, this I had hoped was cosmetic only, BUT the routing does not appear to take the Bridge, instead diverting all routes via the Kincardine bridge about 20 miles west of the main Forth Road Bridge. This is totally unacceptable.

I notice that the routing on http://www.easymap.co.uk/ which uses the same map is also wrong in this respect.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

Re. The Anglesey map problem, this has been reported, as you'll see, neither the Britannia or Menai Bridges are linked from the mainland to Anglesey so any routing terminates at the Menai Strait! Also, many of the roads on the Island are marked as private so routing across the Island fails.

Are you from the area? Only ask because I hail from the region although now exiled in the SE
MartinC
Occasional Visitor

no, live in w yorks but went there for the day.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

So far TomTom seem to be blaming TeleAtlas for the problem:-

Here is an extract of an E-Mail from TeleAtlas:-

"Although in the past the navigational software for TomTom has been based on TeleAtlas database, this software is not manufactured by TeleAtlas------As such we are not able to inform you-----. Tom Tom-----it sounds as though they have not continued to us the same level as TeleAtlas offers for other systems."

e.g. for Blaupunkt, V.2002DX.

It looks as if the ball is clearly with TomTom:-

New CD ( latest TeleAtlas data and recognising the pocketgps long lists of errors), F.O.C.,soon
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I have been talking with my contact at TomTom and I have been told a few days ago and can clarify that the problems listed here and on the TomTom MIA page have been forwarded to the developers within TomTom and also to TeleAtlas and that TomTom welcome any feedback to improve their product and that all issues we have logged/raised are currently being reviewed and discussed within TomTom.

I also have clarification that a lot of the issues are to do with the data, TomTom themselves are not happy regarding these problems and want to get these rectified and they apologise for these problems. For the data, they depend on their data supplier (eg TeleAtlas).

TomTom are in close contact with TeleAtlas regarding all of these issues raised, and TomTom say we can rely on it that TomTom are doing their utmost to improve this situation as it is in their interest to do so.

I can also clarify that TomTom are working on new versions of the GPS Support driver and TomTom Navigator program, and it won't be version 1.42! You should see something soon hopefully. And before anyone asks the question, yes we are testing this . What I can tell you is it will be a leap in version numbers.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

Dave

Its good to know that you are in touch with TomTom and that action is proceeding.

However with 2 recent facts:-

a) TeleAtlas suggest that TomTom is not using the latest version of their software.

b) Correct TeleAtlas data available on www.map24.com

it should be no big deal for an immediate upgrade to be made available and put an end to most of the current major irritations.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Hi Peter, I'm not sure of the arrangement between TeleAtlas and either TomTom or Map24, these may be the same agreements, there may be differences here. From what I understand is that TomTom can make modifications themselves on some of the maps, but obviously that doesn't help if future updates come out from TeleAtlas without the modifications that TomTom have made. It may be that Map24 are using a modified set of data from another company and not direct from TeleAtlas, that is doing extra work in fine tuning the TeleAtlas maps.

Or it maybe as has been discussed elsewhere that TomTom may be holding back from the latest version if some other major problems have been found (like people do when upgrading to the latest operatings sytems etc).    Time will tell.
ChrisH
Occasional Visitor

Dave:

Should we individually register our unhappiness with the present maps to TomTom or will updated maps be offered to all users?

Any idea of the time scal for the release of updated program & drivers?

regards

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: