Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New POI database? Reply with quote

Kanga wrote:

Would any readers be interested in setting up a new database including hosting, collecting camera locations, etc?

Please contact me if interested and I will look into registering a suitable URL.

Where is the morality of joining a Forum on the 7th of January, not reading the posts over the last three weeks, and then using this forum to advertise the above, in his second post?

His post could have been deleted.
This comment was 'controlled'!
Quote:
Gosh, that's a good idea. I wonder why no-one else has thought of it.

We are faced with the database being charged for next month.
If you don't like it, why are you still here?
Vote with your finger and go to a 'free' database.
As one who is not happy with the charge, I am free to choose whether to pay or not, and so are you!
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strumble wrote:
Quote:
As one who is not happy with the charge, I am free to choose whether to pay or not, and so are you!

So if we don't like the charge we have to go (as one who is not happy with the charge does this include you?). Do the mods agree with this? with the exeption of Tim, who has already quoted "Close the door on your way out".

Everyone, including yourself Strumble, is entitled to their opinion, and to voice it without being told to leave. I understand you may be frustrated but there is two sides to every story.

Dave
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So if we don't like the charge we have to go NO
as one who is not happy with the charge does this include you? No.

I'm staying and paying, but I see no further benefit in complaining about the charges! The decision has been made by the 'management', so I accept it.
We only have to 'go elsewhere' if we want the database for nothing!
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strumble,

I hear what you're saying but the pricing structure (not the amount) was created by the posts from forum members and if everyone had accepted the original news without discussion the structure may have been very different. Therefore discussion does influence the decisions being made.

Dave
nemax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple answer to the database would be everyone gets last months free and pays the £2 to get the latest one if the product is any good people would pay for the latest without moaning, the £2 could be put down as a database developmet charge.

The people who have contributed new or old would get the database free except it would be a slightly older version.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say, nemax, that's one of the best solutions I've heard so far.
A bit like a lot of shareware-type software, where the older version is free.

Thank God they haven't found a way to put adverts into the camera database yet, so you'd have to pay to get rid of them!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonor wrote:
Surely you could have not bothered with the sarcasm and pointed that out in the first place?

Quite honestly I'm fed up with pointing it out. It's here as a matter of record. I'm also fed up with reading how the moderators haven't responded to this post or that suggestion. The moderators do not have the authority to respond; that is down to the Team.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
Strumble wrote:
Quote:

So if we don't like the charge we have to go (as one who is not happy with the charge does this include you?). Do the mods agree with this? with the exeption of Tim, who has already quoted "Close the door on your way out".

Dave

You are more than welcome to stay. The comment you quote was directed at sirusman, who was quite happy to post that he(?) hopes the site falls flat on its face.

However those that stay must realise that this forum is probably not going to continually provide free advertising for rival sites and rival databases.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:

However those that stay must realise that this forum is probably not going to continually provide free advertising for rival sites and rival databases.

Tim Buxton wrote:
The moderators do not have the authority to respond; that is down to the Team.

So are these posts being deleted by the "Moderators" or the "Team"?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO, the forum rules state quite clearly:
Quote:
• We are quite happy to have constructive comparative conversations about products but we will not tolerate blatant advertisements for commercial products or services.

As it is not a commercial product being discussed, how does it break the rules, please?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:

Tim Buxton wrote:
The moderators do not have the authority to respond; that is down to the Team.

So are these posts being deleted by the "Moderators" or the "Team"?

Andy, as Moderators we have guidelines as regards message removal, deletion, etc.. Of course, these guidelines are subject to the interpretation of the individual Moderator.

I'm sure that in the past I've been guilty of deleting posts which another Mod might choose to move out of sight. The difference is that moved posts can be restored to public view, whereas deleted ones can't.

Having said that, moved posts can't be restored to their original thread, neither in the original position nor tacked on to the end.

My policy is now to move what I consider to be offending posts out of sight and ask for a judgement call from a Team member.

I do still delete posts, but only if they are obvious unintentional double-posts (same message, same thread, within a minute or so) or intentional cross-forum double-posts (spamming) but only where the doubles have had no replies.

Andy_P2002 wrote:
As it is not a commercial product being discussed, how does it break the rules, please?

I think it will be covered under these two points.

• Advertising, spamming and trolling is forbidden. This includes using the Private message system to spam other members. Users who flout this rule will have their posting privileges removed.

• Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.
PocketGPSTeam
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to let you know that the Team are still monitoring all of your feedback. Two of us are travelling abroad on business at the moment and one is down with flu, so the volume of responses are therefore limited at the moment. Sorry Embarassed

Please keep the suggestions coming, however, we will continue to delete posts that fall outside our forum rules, including abusive posts, URL spamming and advertising. Please keep your feedback constructive.

Many thanks to those, both sides of the fence, that have achieved this throughout the discussion. Also, can we encourage you to read the initial post in this thread and the consequent answers before posting - yes, sorry, we know it's a lot to read! We are getting a lot of repeat questions and comments :D

We will confirm the full details of the subscription model before the end of February.

Also, please can we have some suggestions for the following:

What new forums would you like?

What new features would you like?

Thanks!
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have a question. It's probably just a question of unclear language in the original post to this topic, but ....

The post says Subscription extended free for one month if you report just one previously unreported static speed camera position."

Obviously this is fine for regular subscribers. But where does it leave people who pay per month for occasional updates (perhaps two or three a year)? If they last paid a couple of months ago, their 'subscription' has lapsed, so how can it be extended? So does it mean that there will be one month's free subscription for every verified camera submission, regardless of the submitter's current subscription status? Or will the free month only be available to subscribers who are 'current' (i.e. have paid for the update in the month in which they submit a new location)?

In simple terms, if for example someone pays £2 for the February database then runs with that as-is for a few months without updating, and then submits a camera location in May, how will it work? Will they get June's update for free? Or will they be stuffed because they don't have an 'active' subscription?
PocketGPSTeam
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So does it mean that there will be one month's free subscription for every verified camera submission, regardless of the submitter's current subscription status?

We are looking at the easiest way to cope with this administratively and technically, but the answer will most likely be yes. :D
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I going mad?

I am posting this at 5.39pm - ish. So how am I reading the above post when it states that it was posted at 5.53pm?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 19 of 44

Jump to: