Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing Copilot 6 upgrade on Desktop - HELP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing Copilot 6 upgrade on Desktop - HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tikki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Installing Copilot 6 upgrade on Desktop - HELP Reply with quote

Copilot PPC 6 runs fine on my PDA after using the pre-installed SD card.

I followed the upgrade instructions for installing the desktop software and, after removing Copilot 5 from my Windows XP system, and deleting the cppocketpc5.dat (no v4 installed), cannot install version6.

I insert the CD, and after choosing ENGLISH [UNITED KINGDOM] and pressing OK, I'm asked to enter the 25 digit Product Key. After doing this, and pressing ENTER, I get a typical Windows error message in a grey box which has a blue title saying 'severe' and in the box, a red 'X' and the message 'an unspecified error occurred'. Clicking on OK in this box then brings up another similar box with a blue title 'Error' and a yellow exclamation mark in the box with the message 'Invalid Installation key code. (The code entered is displayed and is correct) Please try again.

ALK have being corresponding with me over the last few days but at present can't resolve the problem.

The weird thing is that in desperation, I've recently and successfully installed it on a Windows ME laptop which recognises the Product Key just fine. BUT - I don't want it on that machine!! Confused

Any Ideas

tikki
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am having problems installing CoPilot 6. I have now tested it on 4 PC's and have to say, that it only installed cleanly on one of them - and I had to leave CoPilot 5 on that one - it simply refused to delete! Both seem to work quite happily - but not at the same time.

Unlike you, the problems I have experienced have been right at the end, you get a warning message and when you proceed it deletes part of the installation!

I know that part of the installation is deleted, because if, when you get the message you turn the power off at the mains (or remove the battery in a laptop), once re-booted everything appears to work OK

So, I think that ALK have a problem with the installation routine for CP6, and a problem with the uninstallation routine for CoPilot 5.
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my experience of CP installations so far. I have installed and de-installed CP5 & CP6 2 or three times on my Laptop and desktop without any issues so far. The only problem I had was the old chesnut of the PPC installation not recognising the SD card capacity in my 4700. Both PC's use Win XP SP2 with latest patches. You did not indicate what OS you are using, are you using XP?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it worked fine for me on an xp machine hope they sort it out could it be that you can only put the desktop sofware on one machine at a time

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be stating the obvious but did you uncheck the option to install on the PocketPC. Could be worth a try.

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
could it be that you can only put the desktop sofware on one machine at a time

I have installed on two PC's without an issue, I don't believe there is any restriction on the PC side.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigH wrote:
Quote:
could it be that you can only put the desktop sofware on one machine at a time

I have installed on two PC's without an issue, I don't believe there is any restriction on the PC side.

There is no checking of the number of desktop applications installed with the serail nummber, and if you look on the ALK USA site, http://www.alk.com/copilot/pocketpc_desktop_feat.asp

They state that:
CoPilot includes a free Trip Planning application that can be distributed to any friends and family for use on their desktop or laptop PCs - hardly restrictive, but it does make me wonder why the serial number is required to install on the desktop. Perhaps a hang-over from the days when the desktop application had to be activated too - activation code certainly still seems to be in there.
tony6695
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: crappy scummy ALK COPILOT Reply with quote

if you want to throw your money away then buy this peice of crap. if you have a problem then don’t even think about wasting your time emailing or calling these morons. my only hope is that the garbage that run this operation find themselves on the street very soon.alk are scum, copilot is crap and my only hope is that the trading standards contact i have puts this crowd out of business.
buy a tomtom, get an atlas or roll your window down and ask someone just DON’T GIVE YOUR MONEY TO ALK !!!!!!
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing like a bit of constructive critisism.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: crappy scummy ALK COPILOT Reply with quote

tony6695 wrote:
if you want to throw your money away then buy this peice of crap. if you have a problem then don’t even think about wasting your time emailing or calling these morons. my only hope is that the garbage that run this operation find themselves on the street very soon.alk are scum, copilot is crap and my only hope is that the trading standards contact i have puts this crowd out of business.
buy a tomtom, get an atlas or roll your window down and ask someone just DON’T GIVE YOUR MONEY TO ALK !!!!!!

Bit strong...but as somebody completely new to CP 8, after using TT Navigator products for many years, I tend to sympathise...still can't install Central, despite many calls to CP, and my surprise on driving back to the South from Leeds today gave me an opportunity to really compare what I'm used to with TT. Their (CP8) 3D view I thought rubbish..not much different to their 2D...map froze twice...view jumped once to North Up...lane assist was very erratic, in fact I'm still not sure about this 'option'...when is it supposed to kick in ? eg When I joined the M25 from the M1 nothing popped up ! And is the route you're following always Green...obliterating the map scheme chosen ?.... shame no traffic. The most major descrepancy occured while bombing along the M25 while making for the A3 turn off, (my choice)..all the way from Heathrow it was trying to tell me to go via the M23 on the map..miles and miles further East which nobody in their right mind would take to get down to Portsmouth !(Even my crappy Honda satnav wouldn't do that!) The M1/M25 would not be my usual way back from the North, more like M1/M69/M40/A34, but my wife fancied a change to check on the A3/Hindhead tunnel works...(due to be opened Summer 2011)..most of the road structure is in place, and it will be fantastic when it's open.....could save atleast 30 mins or much more in the Summer.
Anyway it was interesting.....the standard POI's are a bit of a waste for the UK though...but the camera database worked ok, but then again not all of them showed up on the map, (set for 1000yds/mtrs), but dingdonged quite happily (on top of the camera)....how do I set the ding dong at 1000yds/mtrs to tie in with the map..(when they showed up?)
I must also report all the specs along the A27 at Havant which have been removed for a couple of weeks or more now. All in all, and IMHO I still think that TT has the edge though.
SumTingWong
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: crappy scummy ALK COPILOT Reply with quote

tony6695 wrote:

Well, It's no doubt CoPilot Live has sinked to the junk software level ever since version 7x. ALK has thought so themselves as evidenced by the way they have lowered the software price to the junk level price. I wouldn't despise ALK and this piece of crap called CoPilot Live as much if not for their deplorable business practice of bait and switch. They have baited many people into buying v7 & v8 for the TTS feature (on WM) and have yet to deliver. I have let them get away with it with v7. But I will not them get away with it with v8 any more. If it takes a class action lawsuit to force them to deliver their promises, so be it. But open your ears and listen well you ALK crooks. Once a class action lawsuit is started, it's not your promises that it's going to be after. It will be there to put all of you scoundrels out of business for good![/b]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: