Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TeleType announces v092003
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TeleType announces v092003
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TeleType announces v092003 Reply with quote

Dave,

As they seem to have addressed many of the issues regarding 'state of the art' road and aeronautical GPS mapping systems surely they should let us have a copy for objective road and air testing!!!!!!!!!!!!
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TeleType announces v092003 Reply with quote

Skippy,

European Mapping is by TeleAtlasBV, I will try to see what they do in Eire.

The package that I have, European roads and World wide aviation is listed at $224 ex USA.

All I can say at this moment is that I am continuing to use another nav system for serious UK road work!!! It is very US biassed at the moment.

Teletype will work with a full range of PDA's and GPS receivers. I am testing OK with an Emtac BT.

They have their own POI data and I cannot see an easy way to personalise!!

I am about 50% through the review, so hang on a bit longer
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

Quote: Originally posted by PeterB on 11 August 2003

For UK road use you may be better off using TTN2, Copliot or Navman.

Actually, I was wondering how accurate/up-to-date/complete the Teletype maps are and what source are they based on, do they use the Navtech maps or some other provider?

I see that coverage of Ireland is not mentioned, is there any coverage (eg Dublin) or is it completely missing from their maps. I currently use Garmin's CitySelect which only really covers Dublin and a few other places.

Teletype also looks very cheap at US$100 for the software and European maps. TTN and others seem expensive in comparison, am I missing something here?

They say that non Teletype Bluetooth receivers are not supported. Does this mean that the software is "locked" to only allow use with Teletype hardware or do they just mean "it may work with other BT receivers, but we don't support it if you have problems".

Can you run other software at the same time like the speed camera (oops, I mean "safety camera") warning software?

Sorry to bug you about this, I am happy to wait for your review to be published if you are too busy to keep answering my questions!

PeterB
Regular Visitor

Skippy

One of the advantages of 'teletype GPS' is that it combines aeronautical and street nav in the same package.

For UK road use you may be better off using TTN2, Copliot or Navman.

For flying as a passenger, try 'Memory Map' with dowloaded Aeroplanner.com maps for world wide coverage. You probable don't need all the datailed nav-aids.

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

Quote: Do you have any specific application in mind???

No, I was just interested to see how it performs and stacks up against TomTom etc.

I have a Garmin GPS V which I quite like and use mostly for street navigation on the motorbike and car but I am interested to see what the PPC based systems have to offer.

I often use the GPS as a passenger on comercial flights (with the permission of the airline) and I was intrigued to see that aviation maps are offered as an option for Teletype. I might even consider buying them just for the fun of it - it's something to play with on an otherwise boring flight

Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PeterB,

One of the features mentioned on the Teletype website is

"Routing between multiple waypoints"

Could you see if this is possible for in-car use. I would have thought that it would be essential for flying.

Richard
PeterB
Regular Visitor

Skippy,

I am now actively testing the latest teletype software and intend to cover aspects of street level mapping as well as aeronautical.

It is truly an international package and appears to have evolved rather differently to TTN2 and Pocket-Copilot with which it shares the 'fonix' system.

Do you have any specific application in mind???

I will try to cover as many of the features as possible but do not expect to finalise the review until early September.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Peter currently has a copy he's reviewing although he's mainly concentrating on the aviation side though.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

This teletype system sounds interesting. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used it. Dave - is there any chance of you doing a review of one?

The ability to speak a Street name for next turn direction sounds like it could be pretty cool. I wonder how it gets on with non-English road names though... :o]

goran
Occasional Visitor

I am not interesting in Teletype. I have bought an earlier vesrsion which has worked with my CF Haicom. Than I have bought an upgrade - and my Haicom can not cooperate with Teletype.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

TeleType has released a new version (v092003) with live Traffic Incidence reporting for traffic avoidance, and voice recognition for hands free operation while driving. In addition an improved user interface and more features have been added.

New General Features include:-
  • Voice recognition capabilities - 16 different voice commands available for both PC and PDA
  • Load maps automatically as you travel - when you drive into an area without any street maps loaded, the software will automatically load those maps for you
  • More Synthesized Voice options - Choose from a number of different voices
  • New shortcut menu for waypoints
  • Multiple pre-set zoom levels for more rapid area view changes
  • Full-screen mode for viewing maps
  • Map pan capabilities added and improved user interface allowing easy switch between pan and zoom functions
  • Street maps for Argentina
  • Street maps and door to door routing for Brazil
  • Updated maps for the US, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Europe
  • Sunrise/sunset times available for time-zones worldwide
  • Automatic connection to the internet for downloading traffic information and weather maps
New Street Navigation Features include:-
  • Outlined streets providing more visually pleasing maps
  • Improved Outlook Address Book import – Use addresses directly from Outlook
  • Improved Routing – New maps for United States, Canada, and Europe and more user-friendly routing procedure
  • Web Page association with waypoints – Link a web page with a waypoint. Useful to check traffic through webcams
  • Traffic avoidance control –Designate roads to be avoided in case of traffic or construction, simply point and click on roads to be avoided, using Pocket PC or laptop
  • Automatic Re-route – Software will automatically re-route if you miss a turn, with user definable preferences
  • Street name Pronunciation – hear spoken name of street for next turn direction
  • Easy Zoom to Destination function – quickly see current position in relation to destination
  • Visual indication of one-way streets – maps are notated with graphic arrow showing direction of travel for one way streets for easy recognition providing more user friendly experience
  • Automatic Loading of Maps – locate addresses and perform routing without having to initially load maps into view, providing a tremendously improved user interface especially for TeleType GPS novice use, while still retaining ability to load portions of maps manually if desired, for expert use
  • User selectable Navigation display – street mode navigation screen now allows for large type “next turn” information for easier view while driving
  • Routing via Multiple waypoints - multiple stops are now supported, allowing you to route through several user defined waypoints
  • Visual indication of Interstate highway number and direction on map
  • Enhanced address search and routing capability with improved user interface
  • Route trace line made thicker for easier viewing
  • Ability to route to or from an intersection
  • Route to or from an exit ramp on a US highway
  • Ability to print out text directions of a route, including distance between turns and estimated travel time
  • Time to next turn/ estimated time en route (ETE) to destination now available for route - displayed in route list and street navigation panel
  • Live incident reporting - Traffic accident and construction reports for over 200 metropolitan areas in the U.S.
New Aviation Features include:-
  • Live Weather display for the United States and Canada based on Nexrad Radar images, data updated once per minute
  • Altitude relief maps – shows colorful display of altitude, and altitude warning level alerts
  • Night Vision – Screen colors adjusted for maximum contrast and easy viewing at night
  • Load in View – Load aviation, terrain, or relief maps automatically in the U.S.
  • "Export to PDA" for Aviation Maps
  • Up to date Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR) maps available for aviation users
  • "Load in View" capability for aviation maps
New Marine Features include:-
  • New format for Marine maps – Maps now available as download or on CD ROM
New Topographic Features include:-
  • Terra Server support – free of charge support for topographical and aerial maps using the Microsoft Terra Server website
For a complete feature list, check out the TeleType New Features page of the TeleType website.
Radar_On_Paws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: TeleType announces v092003 Reply with quote

PeterB wrote:
Teletype will work with a full range of PDA's and GPS receivers. I am testing OK with an Emtac BT

Their documentation seems to indicate that NO CF receivers other than their own will work. They also don't specifically indicate other BT receivers but then support has told other people different things.

I have a Holux CF card I would like to have work, and a Copilot (same as socket) BT receiver that will definitely have to work if I am to buy this software package. Any experience with either of these, anyone??

Thanks.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radar-on-Paws

As far as I can see the latest Teletype will work with any GPS receiver, simply specify the port and the signal will be received.
talez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
It's Sept 22nd now, I haven't seen your reviews on this yet. Laughing
PeterB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talez

Teletype review with aeronautical focus is practically complete, test flight arranged for tomorrow (24Sept).
Sorry for delay

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: