Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Irish Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Irish Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bohane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Irish Maps Reply with quote

I'm a new i3 Streetpilot user. I live in Ireland and very few of the smaller roads are mapped. Is there a way to load custom maps on the machine and where can I get them?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish Maps Reply with quote

Welcome

Sorry but the answer is no. Coverage of Ireland is limited and there is almost nothing you can do about it. Sorry. Crying or Very sad

It's probably no comfort to you, but Ireland coverage is 100 times better than it was just a couple of years ago. Confused
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish Maps Reply with quote

bohane wrote:
I'm a new i3 Streetpilot user. I live in Ireland and very few of the smaller roads are mapped. Is there a way to load custom maps on the machine and where can I get them?

Which mapping software was included in the package?
I use a Garmin iQue 3600 and the software was CitySelect Europe v7.
We are waiting for the 2006 release v8.
However, Garmin are changing to CityNavigator software only
Perhaps there will be changes to Ireland in v8????
Shez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://coverage.digi-map.de/index.php4

Have a look at link above for Irish coverage. I think Navteq said they would be finished mapping Ireland by the end of 2005, so it will probably be another year before they are released.
Donegal TDI
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Improvements for Irish GPS users with the launch of CN V8 Reply with quote

There are HUGE implications for Irish GPS users with the launch of City Navigator V8, we now have almost complete coverage.
There are still some areas remaining to be mapped by Navteq but V8 alone will revolutionise GPS use in Ireland.

Paste the following url into your browser and navigate to Ireland to see the goodies that await.
Have fun!!!!

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?address=%5b1007%2d1040%5d%20State%20Route%2017k&city=Montgomery&state=NY&zipcode=12549&country=US&title=%3cb%3e%5b1007%2d1040%5d%20State%20Route%2017k%3c%2fb%3e%3cbr%20%2f%3e%20Montgomery%2c%20NY%2012549%2c%20%20US&cid=lfmaplink2&name=">Map of [1007-1040] State Route 17k<br /> Montgomery, NY 12549, US
Donegal TDI
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link,
it's a little easier.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=IE&addtohistory=&city=Dublin
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Improvements for Irish GPS users with the launch of CN V Reply with quote

Donegal TDI wrote:
There are HUGE implications for Irish GPS users with the launch of City Navigator V8, we now have almost complete coverage.
There are still some areas remaining to be mapped by Navteq but V8 alone will revolutionise GPS use in Ireland.

It seems that those members with the already released v8, are not impressed with the coverage of Ireland.
They may have finished the 'mapping' but it does not seem to be in v8 which was available in 'new' units over the last few months!

We will perhaps have to wait until v9 for 'normal' coverage for Ireland :x
eorpach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Is a Garmin i3 worth purchasing for Ireland? (March 2006) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm living in Ireland and am planning to purchase a Garmin i3 (with City Navigator Europe Version 8 mapping).

I have a few questions which I'm really hoping to have answered first:

1) I mostly (but not exclusively) drive in the Greater Dublin/Wickow area. Is there any update from Irish users as regards the quality of the (Republic of) Ireland coverage in version 8 Question

2) Given that we don't use postcodes in Ireland, is it still relatively easy to input Irish routes/destinations into the Garmin i3 Question

3) If I buy the Garmin i3 now, with version 8 mapping, is it likely to cost me alot to upgrade to full Irish coverage when it becomes available? (hopefully as part of version 9 later this year!) Presumably this would involve the purchase of a new card from a Garmin retailer Question

Many thanks in advance for the advice! Smile

Regards,

eorpach
eorpach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Sorry! Reply with quote

Apologies for inadvertantly adding my questions to the end of an old thread, but I have now started a new thread about this in the "Garmin Streetpilot and nuvi" forum - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=202968#202968

Thanks,

eorpach
xantex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a nuvi with City Navigator v8 in the belief that coverage of ireland was greatly improved over City Select v7. Well it may have a bit more coverage for the likes of Dublin or Limerick, but in the areas I drive (around Kerry/Limerick) I can see little if any improvement. Country roads just aren't there at all, and even in a town as big as Tralee the coverage is poor. Many roads in towns are just shown as unnamed little "stubs" off the major roads.

I wish Garmin/NavTech would outline their plans for when they expect FULL coverage. In the UK if a road is open to vehicular traffic then it's on there. Come on Garmin - tell us when this will be the case for Ireland.
eorpach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks xantex,

Your assessment of west Munster's current mapping is a little disappointing, though it may interest you to know that the forums section of an Irish site (I hope I'm allowed to mention the name - www.gpsireland.ie) reports "NavTeq....will release new detail which has 100% coverage of all Public Roads in Ireland on 27th of March next". Laughing

If true, this is indeed good news for Irish motorists - though I'm well aware that there will be a further delay in implementing this information in commercially available mapping software such as Garmin's - hence my desire to purchase the Garmin i3 now (as I could be holding my breath for quite a while yet if I were to wait! Embarassed )

eorpach
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Is a Garmin i3 worth purchasing for Ireland? (March 2006 Reply with quote

eorpach wrote:
Hi all,

I'm living in Ireland and am planning to purchase a Garmin i3 (with City Navigator Europe Version 8 mapping).

I have a few questions which I'm really hoping to have answered first:

1) I mostly (but not exclusively) drive in the Greater Dublin/Wickow area. Is there any update from Irish users as regards the quality of the (Republic of) Ireland coverage in version 8 Question I have just bought the CityNavigator v8 and can tell you the cost is not justified in that area! Send me your email address in a Private message and i will send you a PC screenshot of the area or any other area you are interested in!!

2) Given that we don't use postcodes in Ireland, is it still relatively easy to input Irish routes/destinations into the Garmin i3 Question

3) If I buy the Garmin i3 now, with version 8 mapping, is it likely to cost me alot to upgrade to full Irish coverage when it becomes available? (hopefully as part of version 9 later this year!)As v8 has just come out - v9 is not likely to be available until February 2007!!Presumably this would involve the purchase of a new card from a Garmin retailer Question

Many thanks in advance for the advice! Smile

Regards,

eorpach
xantex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - its good to hear that there might be light at the end of the tunnel.

By the way - if in due course I want to upgrade to v9 or v10 or whatever, how will I do it? The nuvi didn't come with a cd/dvd or with mapsource, so presumably i can't just buy an upgrade disc.

Does this mean that i will have to buy mapsource and a full version, or is there some other way of achieving it when you buy a garmin device with mapd preloaded?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: