Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed camera signs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed camera signs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: speed camera signs Reply with quote

has any one any idea where my neat little speed camera signs have gone when I first downloaded the speed cameras a picture of the camera would be on the screen and it would show me slowly getting closer to it pretty good!! but I have downloaded a second time and they have gone and it also misses one or two gatsos any ideas what I have done !!!!

jackb
NoLCD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess, but when the speed camera bitmap (or any POI) appears it means the speed set for that camera (the @30 bit etc) is exceeded, slow down and it will disappear, disconcerting but you should be at or below the limit ;-). So perhaps you were going a little fast towards it the first time but next time you were travelling more sedately? When I said 'any POI' I meant those with a proximity distance and or a speed. i.e. they only appear if you are within the set distance or above the speed set (@40, @60 etc)
Lastly if you set a point using the scroll wheel held down it appears on the map no matter the speed (but only when on a high zoom however)

Any help??
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like NoLCD said, you need to be over the set limit (in the POI file) for the icon to show up. make sure too that the bmp file has exactly the same name as the csv file e.g. gatso30.bmp and gatso30.csv

MaFt
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I feel that this is one of the biggest failings of the i3 when used as a camera detector Sad

IMHO, cameras should always be shown on the display - regardless of your speed. Fair enough to only repeatedly warn you if your exceeding the limit, but they should always be displayed - preferably with an announcement chime as they come into "view".

For this reason, I strip all the speed info from the database files - so that I'm always warned, and cameras are always displayed.
Tubal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant agree. The initial "boing" when approaching a camera is enough. Why would I need to see it if I am under the limit?????
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubal wrote:
Cant agree. The initial "boing" when approaching a camera is enough. Why would I need to see it if I am under the limit?????

To sanity-check that the database is installed correctly and working properly Smile

My car can easily drown out the single "bing bong", so visual confirmation is always useful.

Anoher problem with using the speed data is that it is easy to "out-accelerate" the GPS, leaving its speed display way behind your actual speed - I'd rather just know about the approaching POI and be left to make my own informed decision about my own speed and the prevailing limit.
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time it would be nice to see them on there permanently, but there are times when it would cause problems, such as in town,m near junctions - you can have red light cameras and speed cameras clustered there and it can get a bit messy on the display if they're all on at the same time.

Can we not play around with the settings before we upload them to make then displayed all the time?? Or would we have to live with the "Boing!" while we had them on screen?

Anyone managed to get rid of the boing and get cameras displayed full time?
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Gonzales wrote:
Can we not play around with the settings before we upload them to make then displayed all the time?? Or would we have to live with the "Boing!" while we had them on screen?

Anyone managed to get rid of the boing and get cameras displayed full time?

If you strip the speed information from the database files, then the cameras are always displayed (which I personally prefer) - however, you'll always get the bong as you approach.

Some of us are looking into customised sounds - you could make the POI bong silent, but then you'd never get a warning (as you've removed the speed info and hence the over-speed repeat warning) Rolling Eyes

Garmin need to split the audible warning and visual indication functionality:

ie:

audible warning = always/never/excess speed

visual indication = always/never/excess speed
jackb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good info Thanks but how do you remove the speed data from the files in order to see the cameras
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackb wrote:
All good info Thanks but how do you remove the speed data from the files in order to see the cameras

open the .csv file in excel (or similar) and then remove the '@30' etc from the 3rd column.

MaFt
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
open the .csv file in excel (or similar) and then remove the '@30' etc from the 3rd column.

If you're using Excel:

1. Load into Excel
2. Press Ctrl-H for Find/Replace
3. Enter @?0 in the "Find what:" field (the ? is a wildcard)
4. Leave the "Replace with:" field blank
5. Click "Replace All"
6. Save file, ignoring warnings about CSV files, loss of data, blah blah

Piece of cake Smile
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple way to get rid of the boing and always have the cameras displayed at any speed, regardless of the boing/display link?

Just have the sound set to zero... not ideal, but I always have the volume set to zero on the bike now anyway so it would work there.
pipski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
Personally I feel that this is one of the biggest failings of the i3 when used as a camera detector Sad

IMHO, cameras should always be shown on the display - regardless of your speed. Fair enough to only repeatedly warn you if your exceeding the limit, but they should always be displayed - preferably with an announcement chime as they come into "view".

For this reason, I strip all the speed info from the database files - so that I'm always warned, and cameras are always displayed.

Agree completely with this post.

Based on the fact that I am getting speed camera warnings for cameras not on the road I'm travelling on but on roads above, or adjacent to the road I'm travelling on, or even a road going in a different direction from the road I'm travelling on.

Seeing the camera pinpointed on the screen all of the time makes sense.
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, bit of a long winded reply this one, but this is what i do:

i open the speed camera (.csv) files in Excel and rename them , for example all the Gatso's and Truvelo's at whatever speed (for example gatso0115@30) i just simply rename them all "Speed camera" i dont put any @0 or anything at the end, i do the same with the mobile cameras and just rename them all to "Mobile camera" and so on and so on...... again with no @0 on the end.

Then i open poi loader and use the manual option in instead of the express option. i set it up to alert me when i am a particular distance rather than a set speed, these are the settings i use and i find they work well:

pocketgps_uk_gatso - 1000 feet
pocketgps_uk_mobile - 2000 feet
pocketgps_uk_redlight - 1000 feet
pocketgps_uk_specs - 1000 feet
pocketgps_uk_temp - 1000 feet

I always set the mobile one higher to account for them pointing the cameras down the road!, setting it up as above works well, i dont bother with the continental files.

This is what i do, this will keep the cameras displayed on screen whatever speed you are doing and you will only get the 1 "bong bong" as you approach the camera site. The good thing about renaming the cameras like i said above is they just display on the screen as "Speed Camera ahead", "Mobile Camera ahead" e.c.t.....

Hope some of that makes sense to someone?? Wink Smile
Paul
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps73uk wrote:
i open the speed camera (.csv) files in Excel and rename them

Sorry just to clarify (wish this forum had an edit function), it is NOT the .csv files themselves i rename it is the cameras within the .csv files i rename, for example "gatso1234@40" would simply be renamed "Speed camera" and mobile1234@40 would be renamed "Mobile Camera"
Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: