Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C320 memory card support
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C320 memory card support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pipski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: C320 memory card support Reply with quote

Hi all, newbie here with questions to ask.

Got a C320 for xmas and I would like to know can anybody tell me what size SD memory card will this unit support?

Mine came with 256Mb but trying to install other maps from the European map mack which comes with it I find the memory card runs out with just UK and Ireland installed.

To install the whole map pack from the CD's said I was about 2.3Gb short of memory so I thought that a 2Gb card would be nice to have. This way I can install almost the whole of the maps supplied and just miss off the areas less likely to be required.

Garmin on line shop only sells 512Mb card for this unit but I have seen other on line suppliers listing accessories for it including a 2Gb card so I think it must work if they list it as an accessory.

Any help appreciated, although I have ordered a 2Gb card already from a famous on-line auction site and should be here within 11 days so I'll let you know if it works when it gets here Smile

Phil
fishmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let us know if it does work as I have the exact same query Wink
pipski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply fishmad. Was starting to worry that I had bad B.O. with everybody ignoring me!

Maybe with the C320 we don't fit in with the hoard of I3 owners here?

I'll get me coat.
fishmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! just seems as if everyone has ignored this post (or it slipped through the net, pardon the pun! [fishmad, Laughing Out Loud]) If anyone out there does know the maximum memory capability of the C320 then please share your knowledge with us, thats what this forum is about after all! Wink
pipski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: 2.0GB card works :D Reply with quote

Well it arrived today and just got to test it.

Put it in the C320 and hook up to my PC via USB cable and the unit says "Please use the provided PC software to load maps."

Load the Garmin installer and it shows 1936MB free on memory card. Select every single area on the City Select Europe v7 maps and it says I'm over by 383.5MB so with just a little trimming of extremes and less desired areas I get it under 2GB and the maps transfer across.

If anybody else is interested in 2.0GB card for the C320 then here's the link where I bought mine if it helps: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7576880306

I went for this as it was the Sandisk card exactly the same as the 256MB one that came with the Garmin unit.

Just one more tip, go put the kettle on as it's going to take about half an hour to transfer the 2GB over USB.
fishmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply pipski glad to hear that it is all working ok and thanks for the link on ebay.
Just one question, seeing as though so much more memory is being used, does this reduce the battery life of the unit considerably? Do u find u need to recharge the unit more? I know this will not be a problem when using an external power source (cigarette socket). It's just that when I installed a higher capacity memory card on my Nokia mobile phone, the phone simply zapped up all the battery power and it required charging twice as much.
If you could give your unit a bit of a road test and let me know

Thanks Wink
pipski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, sorry for the delay getting back to you on this one but have done a bit of a test yesterday on the battery life.

This may not be much use as I never tested it with the original 256MB card in so there's no comparison.

Went to Middlesborough, Newcastle, Gateshead, Knaresborough and Bradford yesterday in a Truck with no power socket and the C320 worked perfectly all day finding every delivery address and the battery meter only dropped one of the 4 bars all day.

So in my opinion the bigger memory card takes no more power than the standard one during normal operation and I would have been surprised if it hat been heavier on the battery.

The only possible time I could see it being power intensive is during searches as when searching...

If you click on ->Where To, ->Spell Name, then type a place in and search then it searches all of the maps loaded on the memory card and takes quite a long time to search. During this search I could see it using more processing power, thus more battery power.

Just as a suggestion though you could do as I have and keep the original 256MB card with the UK maps only as standard and then only use the 2GB card with the rest of the UK maps on when you need them?
pipski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to say use the 2GB with the rest of Europe maps when you need them.

No edit function on this forum!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: