Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA use?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA use?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tirc83
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: USA use? Reply with quote

I'm off to the US in Feb and will be driving in and between Washington DC and NYC. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to use my i3 out there - without b*ggering up my UK software?

Step by step info would be appreciated. Thanks.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need city select usa which is fairly expensive or metroguide v4.01 which is the only mg software that autoroutes with navigation.. mg 4.01 can sometimes be found on ebay.... the software is then loaded onto a blank transflash card ...
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam going back to the usa in may and i got a copy of city select usa v6 for £50 from ebay you may want to give it a go but make sure its got unlock code or you have to pay garmin for them too you will also need a blank trans flash card
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you get the v4.01 which is the only autoroutable one..mg software is not locked so it can be used over and over...the v4.01 is dated about 2001/2002 so will not have the latest roads, but i used this software in 2004 and 2005 and had no problems at all...
windy1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the i3 with full USA mapping on USA websites for $300. With sales tax at say 10% and converting at 1.7, that's abut £200. If you factor is a new card cost then if Garmin are going to charge UK customers around £150 just for USA mapping, its going to be cheaper to buy a new i3 package when you get to Florida or wherever.

Alternativley, you could go to

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/MetroGuideNT.jsp

and buy the official Garmin sourced metroguide($116) plus card ($90) when you get to USA (Garmin won't sell it at that price outside USA). With sales tax 10% and $1.7=£1.00, that's about £127 so why bother with potentially dodgy ebay stuff? ... or did I miss something.

Seems to me Garmin's UK pricing for i3 mapping enhancements is a mess.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windy1..the mg you mention on the garmin site will not autoroute or give you navigation.it will only show where you are on a map....
flyer0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the idea of buying another unit to us in the USA and had been thinking about it myself but I was wondering how many units can I download the maps to? I think I have heard two is the limit but is this correct?Is it the miniSD card that is tied to the unit or is it the maps?
francisc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps can be unlocked for two units. The unlock code is generated using the internal ID of the unit.

The micro SD (TransFlash) card is only a regular memory.
Cholmeleian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sales tax is usually less than 10% in USA, it can even be zero (eg New Hampshire) and mail order from another state has no sales tax.

Plenty of people want driving directions on holiday in the USA (or Spain etc) and Garmin should really have a moderate cost web downloadable option for a limited area, eg $20 per US state.

This would be incredibly useful, especially in the USA where road signs are terrible.
alchemista
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cholmeleian wrote:
This would be incredibly useful, especially in the USA where road signs are terrible.

LOLOLOL... As an American living in Britain, I can only say that I think the UK road signs, directions, and roads themselves are terrible. It's funny to hear that you think the opposite about America.

In America, the name of each road is prominently displayed at each intersection. In the UK, good luck finding a sign showing you the name of the road. Also, UK roads change names often with each little segment. If you turn left, it's called one thing, if you turn right, it's called another.

I get lost so much here that I was forced to buy a GPS, and hence am on this board ;)
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a professional driver and i find driving in America much easier that here road markings and signs are a lot clearer to understand
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

city selects come with two unlock codes ,so in theory you should be able to load maps onto two seperate gps's..
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Thanks for the information that I have already picked up using this site.

I am a newbie to this site, and to the world of sat-nav, having bought my i3 a couple of days ago.

As per the thread subject, I too am looking to have a holiday in Florida next year & want to take my i3 with me if feasable.

What is the difference between city select & metroguide software, If I buy the metroguide what will I be missing compared to say my uk v8 software in terms of use etc?

Is metroguide v 4.02 suitable?

If I go for the metroguide, then there are no unlock codes needed from Garmin--is that right, I upload the maps to a spare transflash card, pop out my UK transflash, and fit the US one, and vice versa upon my return home--it cant be that easy surely Embarassed

Thanks for any help given

Scoobs
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellaMaris wrote:
Its Not!

Read back through this thread and you will find all the answers to your questions. Zogman has the best advice!!

I've re-read & still cant see what the difference is between city select & metroguide, I initially assumed that metroguide had been superceded by city select, but the fact that metroguide is now upissued to 4.02, I assume it to still be a current product, @ Zogman--do you think that MG 4.02 will also autoroute & navigate ?

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, I did say I'm a newbie to all of this sat-nav world.Rolling Eyes

Scoobs
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi m8...city selects and navigators have extra bits in the software to allow navigation and auto-routing ....none of the uk or europe metroguides have these extra bits so they cant do that.....in the states garmin included the extra bits in mg version 4.01...they then realised that metroguides are not locked so they can be copied and sold on ..so newer versions of usa mg's didnt have the extra bits included so did not autoroute, and thats when city selects and navigators came out ,with autorouting and navigation but with two unlock codes that paired the software to your gps so no more piracy....although the usa mg has 2001 maps most of the roads in the states havent changed and i had no problems on two seperate 2500 miles tours of the west side of america using mg v4.01.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: