Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BunnyBallerina wrote:
So what is the incentive for me to post this data? At least under the free model it was for the greater good. But now?

I'm amazed that you overlook the far greater good for all of the subscribers to this database. Whether the forum owners make money out of it or not, it is still us (including you) who get the benefit of users' contributions.

I can understand people wishing to argue over whether the database should be chargeable or not, but it seems very shortsighted and seflish to withhold updates from other users. In practice, a less accurate database is not likely to affect the subscription level that much; unless there is a more accurate and cheaper database available. It could just make you and others more susceptible to being caught on camera. Rolling Eyes

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

Darren recorded that a couple of weeks ago in Hampshire. We looked out for it on the TV but missed the article. Can you remember what day it was on?

The snippet is available for viewing at new.bbc.co.uk - click on "WATCH BBC NEWS IN VIDEO", then do a search for GPS. The article is called "GPS devices growing in popularity"

Darren appears 46 seconds in.
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link is http://news.bbc.co.uk/ then do as Talkingbollox states
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a more direct link direct to the video stream is HERE .
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
a more direct link direct to the video stream is HERE .

Off Topic Off Topic Off Topic

:x Would the mods please stop posting back slapping comments and try to keep this thread on topic.:x

Its meant to discuss the new fee arrangements NOT to throw the thread off on a tangent eveytime someone posts a comment highlighting the many flaws in PGPSW's new proposals
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
BunnyBallerina wrote:
So what is the incentive for me to post this data? At least under the free model it was for the greater good. But now?

I'm amazed that you overlook the far greater good for all of the subscribers to this database. Whether the forum owners make money out of it or not, it is still us (including you) who get the benefit of users' contributions.

I can understand people wishing to argue over whether the database should be chargeable or not, but it seems very shortsighted and seflish to withhold updates from other users. In practice, a less accurate database is not likely to affect the subscription level that much; unless there is a more accurate and cheaper database available. It could just make you and others more susceptible to being caught on camera. Rolling Eyes

When I was a student I would get given a Free Cheeseburger with my Meal at McDonalds and would often eat said McDonalds on the way to the Park and Ride station. I would often give said Cheeseburger to one of the tramps in the Subway rather than money for booze Confused I guess if that tramp suddenly turned round and went "40p for this Cheeseburger any takers" I would be a bit Censored .

Not exactly the same situation here but at least they have reconised the people who HAVE contributed and offered them free membership.
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That was perfectly fine when the database was FREE to EVERYONE in the community.

However that ended the moment PGPSW decided to turn "professional" and make a profit.

You wouldn't go into ASDA and pay for your weekly shopping AND be expected to fill the shelves for them at the same time in order to provide a better quality of service to everyone else who shops there would you!!

The same principle, irrespecive of the product, applies to PGPSW the moment they want to charge for the database. If they want to charge for it then they can fill their own damn shelves (so to speak).
Barsnake
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smstextaddict wrote:
or use streetmap.co.uk, zoom into where the location is, mark it, then copy the url and forward it onto Richard with, the details and speed etc of that road and what type of speed enforcement it is (gatso, mobile, specs,etc)

Still Does'nt Get U The Exact Position If Not At A Junction
And Gives Richard The Added Work Of Converting It For The Database

Another Quote
Quote:
Most were ok - though their positioning was a bit suspect in place.

CoPilot Versions
No Room Left On The Daskboard!
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibblemonster wrote:
You wouldn't go into ASDA and pay for your weekly shopping AND be expected to fill the shelves for them at the same time in order to provide a better quality of service to everyone else who shops there would you!!

Not a particularly appropriate analogy, since you appear not to value the better quality of service that you would receive, while I'm sure that you would appreciate the more accurate camera database.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barsnake wrote:
smstextaddict wrote:
or use streetmap.co.uk, zoom into where the location is, mark it, then copy the url and forward it onto Richard with, the details and speed etc of that road and what type of speed enforcement it is (gatso, mobile, specs,etc)

Still Does'nt Get U The Exact Position If Not At A Junction
And Gives Richard The Added Work Of Converting It For The Database

I have an i3 and no way to upload anything stored, Richard told me to supply the info this way and so far on the December update the locations i gave to Richard are 100% spot on.
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
wibblemonster wrote:

Not a particularly appropriate analogy, since you appear not to value the better quality of service that you would receive, while I'm sure that you would appreciate the more accurate camera database.

You missed my point. Why should I submit data to a now professional organisation for someone to make a profit from? So in fact my ASDA analogy is quite appropriate unless of course you want to go round to your local ASDA to fill their shelves with lots of cornflakes free of charge and just let ASDA pocket the profit from your contribution Confused ??
the_kick_inside
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok people i can understand people being a bit hacked off at the way all this was done - not to enamoured myself, but they have answered the questions from most people who said 'fine but can we suggest' - offered free membership to previous contributors.....worth £20 a year to me...absolutelynow i can pay anually

well done Guys....you have listened (and rolled out the scheme i suspect from one of your comments in here you had in mind all along, you jsut went the other way to show people how reasonable it was....dangersous tactic but it may have worked)...so fair play.

Heres the but though, you have sacraficed the view i had of an independant review site - and bear in mind i have bought SATNAV hardware for my firm -as the 'expert' based on your reviews and from your advertisers 9so i have been commericaly valuable to your site)...That will no longer be the case as I must now look upon you as being commercial and therfore no longer being independant...i may buy from your advertisers, but i will be disragarding reviews as a i will have no idea of the 'self interest' involved....
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibblemonster wrote:
You missed my point. Why should I submit data to a now professional organisation for someone to make a profit from?

You missed my point. If you subscribe to the database, the forum owners will get their money anyway. If you don't contribute corrections then, you are only harming other users. Similarly, if other users act similarly, they won't tell you about that new camera that's just been erected around the corner.

Hopefully, the average user will realise that providing updates is helping other users more than it helps the forum owners. And why would you subscribe to a database that you want to become less and less accurate?

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just submit to a site that is free anyway?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_kick_inside wrote:
Heres the but though, you have sacraficed the view i had of an independant review site - and bear in mind i have bought SATNAV hardware for my firm -as the 'expert' based on your reviews and from your advertisers 9so i have been commericaly valuable to your site)...That will no longer be the case as I must now look upon you as being commercial and therfore no longer being independant...i may buy from your advertisers, but i will be disragarding reviews as a i will have no idea of the 'self interest' involved....

I am not sure that I follow the logic here. I would accept that if we were exclusively sponsored by one of the main GPS companies our independence would be very suspect. The same would apply if the GPS companies were to pay us for reviews. That is not the case.

We were accused of bias and favouritism during last CeBIT when we reported the TomTom news. That was coincidental because TomTom had produced a large number of appropriate press releases. All other companies that had press releases were also published, but still we were accused of bias.

What has changed is that now we are funding and improving things on the site. I don't see how that removes our independence. When TomTom brought out their Speed Camera database we deliberately did not review or comment adversely on the product as it was in competition to the PocketGPSWorld database. Something I suspect very few people would do.

I do however appreciate that we need to be very careful when reviewing other Speed Camera related products, and that people may perceive that we might try to promote the PocketGPSWorld.com database above others. I sincerely hope that that doesn't happen and that we continue creating the visibly independent and accurate reviews for which we have a very good reputation both with users and within the GPS Industry.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 10 of 44

Jump to: