Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If even one of the contributors does not want to take up the lifetime membership, there are still very good grounds for them to open a civil case against the mods of PGPS for breach of contract.

In particular, when the data was collected and submitted that it would be free for all, and *would not be used for profit* (there are posts from PGPS moderators to this effect). If the moderators thought that giving the database away for free to those submitted was a way round the legal issue, it isn't.

£2 is all but nothing. Far less than a speeding ticket; a miniscule fraction of most people's salary. Yet I disagree with the charge on principle, and I hope someone does something about it.

As people have mentioned, there are going to be enough disgruntled people who will just download pirated versions. The actual profit that PGPS will probably make won't be worth the trouble.

Happy New Year (yes, I know I'm a day early. Smile )
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:
Just logged in after the christmas break - glad to see this on an more positive footing. Smile

Darren - question.

Was that you on BBC News 24 a few days ago in a GPS report?

Chris,

Darren recorded that a couple of weeks ago in Hampshire. We looked out for it on the TV but missed the article. Can you remember what day it was on?
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
if it was about gallilleo the most likey it was

yup - that was the one :D

Chris
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but have I missed something here. Question

Okay, their will be a lifetime subscription for those who have already contributed to the database, a database which many have pointed out was meant to be free for all. Presumably to try and quiet the voices and possible lawsuits.

HOWEVER, and its a very big however... why on earth would anyone who is not on the free lifetime subscription, ie a new visitor to the site, want to send in camera positions to PGSPW just to see PGPSW charge and make a profit from the CONTRIBUTORS information.

This whole database was built on community spirit, and without the WHOLE community onboard the database will suffer.

All PGPSW have done is to effectively split the previously strong and helpful community in half with these proposals.
Sean16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think it’s about time some of you stopped moaning in this thread about copy write and profit, we had all of this on the last thread and I really don’t see the need for it anymore. The people who keep going on about this have many options open to choose from lets see what we have.

1. pay
2. don’t pay (and stop going on about copy write/profit)
3. buy another device which offers free updates.

Now I’m sure the list could go on and on but I think certain issues should be laid to rest and let the team answer question that others have that are non related to copy write/profit.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGPSW have really pulled a smart move here, whether they realise it is another matter.
Legalities, actual or alleged aside, by offering it free to people who submitted has put a huge dent in the birth of the other site as i see a lot of the anti.s have already jumped ship back to here with comments of reconciliation.
I just wonder why in the first place PGPSW didn't just charge a £20 membership for the whole site, perhaps they were not confident that their site would get enough takers, i disagree i think it would have.
Whilst i don't agree with a lot of things on here, more for the way they are implemented, it is a good site with lots of info and help and as such does and will continue to move forward but the cause of all the angst may well put the spanner in the works.
Commercially it is an incredible asset to have, i can imagine there being a lot of interest from third parties for the rights to it, So perhaps when it is swallowed up for tidy sum along with the site the goal would have been acheived. For this who can blame anybody, ok at present it's hypothetical but if i was made an offer i couldn't refuse for something i had then i would not be honest if i said i wouldn't sell on moralistic grounds.
I just hope these concessions were done for the community for the long haul and not just for the fact of keeping it's prize asset intact for any future sale. As a poster i hope this is the case. As a businessman i say well done you have created a very viable asset.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Unplugged wrote:
What about the ability to edit our own posts :P

That will be GBP 100 per annum. 8)

Actually, no. Not going to happen anytime soon. If you need something corrected, let us know.

As you are so adamant about it, could you possibly let us know your reasons?
I, for one, would stop banging on about it if I understood your concerns...
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
[As you are so adamant about it, could you possibly let us know your reasons?
I, for one, would stop banging on about it if I understood your concerns...

Andy, just an idea, but if you could edit your posts would they then automatically jump to the front of the thread or stay where they were.
By this i mean, if someone went back and edited a post that was on an old thread they could have the potential to insert all manner of things be it legal, illegal. offensive, ...you get the drift.
I for one would not want to waste my time trawling through old threads checking to see if everything was ok. At the end of the day PGPSW are responsible for the content of the site and as such feel the need to make this editing ability unavailable. On a site with this amount of traffic i actually agree with them here. Whether this is the reason, who knows?.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aparently the reason that we are not able to allow edits to posts are because when we ported the database from one system to the current one there was (is) a bug in it that allowed anyone to edit any posts.

When editing posts they will not be moved. They stay where they are in sequence.
s7uar7
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtomgo wrote:
Legalities, actual or alleged aside, by offering it free to people who submitted has put a huge dent in the birth of the other site as i see a lot of the anti.s have already jumped ship back to here with comments of reconciliation.

Or another way to look at it is that it's because of the other site that PGPSW are giving lifetime membership to previous contributors. Had the threat of a new rival database not arisen they may have tried to get away with only a couple of months for free.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s7uar7 wrote:
[quote="

Or another way to look at it is that it's because of the other site that PGPSW are giving lifetime membership to previous contributors. Had the threat of a new rival database not arisen they may have tried to get away with only a couple of months for free.

Possibly?. i certainly don't wish to start another debacle.
Purely an observation.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Aparently the reason that we are not able to allow edits to posts are because when we ported the database from one system to the current one there was (is) a bug in it that allowed anyone to edit any posts.

When editing posts they will not be moved. They stay where they are in sequence.

Thanks Mike, i had an idea it was something along those lines, imagine the nightmare of having to check content repeatedly, and as for people having the ability to alter other peoples posts, i can see a few who would like that ability!! :P
wibblemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean16 wrote:
I really think it’s about time some of you stopped moaning in this thread about copy write and profit, we had all of this on the last thread and I really don’t see the need for it anymore. The people who keep going on about this have many options open to choose from lets see what we have.

Sean16, this is a forum designed to allow all users to express their views, concerns and opinions. Just because you align yourself to a particular point of view does not give you the right to call eveyone else a moaner.

Without the "moaners" I doubt very much that PGPSW would have made the database free to previous contributors but would have just taken the money and ran :x
Sean16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibblemonster I understand what you are saying, but I feel that we really don't need to go back down that road again regarding copywrite/profit, users mention this in the last thread and this topic doesn't need to keep going on about it. This is only my opinion and not ment to upset anyone if I have sorry.
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the questions about listings of what's been added/removed/changed in successive releases of the database - I'd suggest that there should be a 'rolling' revision history that gets added to with each new release giving information on how many of each type of camera has been added, removed or edited, and that this revision history should be made readily available to non-subscribers so that they can make an informed decision as to whether it's worth paying for a download at any particular time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 8 of 44

Jump to: