Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

Quote:

Subscribing to the site will have many benefits. As a registered member you will receive:
    * Unlimited free individual licence downloads during subscription period to the PocketGPSWorld.com UK Speed Camera Database (widely regarded as the best by SatNav users and industry alike).
    * Free draws for GPS equipment.
    * Subscription extended free for one month if you report just one previously unreported static speed camera position. Multiple cameras = multiple free months. (Must consequently be verified by PocketGPSWorld.com.)
    * Subscription extended free for one month if you report just one previously unreported deleted static speed camera position. Multiple cameras = multiple free months.(Must consequently be verified by PocketGPSWorld.com.)
    * Free Speed Camera Recording software for both TomTom GO (Version 5 and above) and TomTom Navigator (Version 5 and above).
    * Retailer discounts (one discount could quite easily cover your subscription charge).
    * The ability to ask questions/seek support on ALL GPS forums.
In addition we hope to create additional applications that will simplify the download and installation of the database across as many GPS hardware platforms as possible and create dedicated downloads for each device type.

What about the ability to edit our own posts :P
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

Unplugged wrote:
What about the ability to edit our own posts :P

That will be GBP 100 per annum. 8)

Actually, no. Not going to happen anytime soon. If you need something corrected, let us know.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
My first wish:-
Is that Richard [Oldie] is given the respect and consideration by the ‘management’ and 'members' for his incredible contribution to the database.

My second wish:-
I wish the Members and Management ‘the best for 2006 with a photo-free future’!

First Not Worthy Big up to Oldie. Not Worthy First

(I think that is a phrase favoured by the younger generations. Embarassed )

I second your second wish.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Galvanised into action Reply with quote

cherryton wrote:
As a point of interest there are now quite a few Cameras 'up here' that are no longer in operation, but are still on the database (2 on the A92 that I know of at least). How do I go about getting these removed so as to improve the accuracy for everyone.
I really do hope it all works out.

Use the POICapture utility to record the position of the missing camera, then on the camera page select next (RH arrow) on this second camera menu is a remove camera button, use that - Mike
Rotas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Could the deadline for posting new camera alerts and thus gaining free membership not run up to the end of the year, i.e. midnight New Year’s Eve? A few hours notice was a little short as I didn't see the post until this morning. If people haven’t already posted a camera it does seem like the world’s shortest special offer.

If not and someone posts a previously unregistered camera before charging commences, do they get the first month free or will they need to already be a paying member to benefit? If this is the case you may see a drought in submissions until your membership system is set up.

There will doubtless be a lot of miles being covered over the holiday period. That gives people an opportunity to try out the POI submission software you recently provided us with, who may normally have all the local cameras on their day-to-day route listed.
leemcg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there'll be plenty more negative responses, but I just wanted to say well done PGPSW - you've answered a lot of the concerns and have come up with a give-get model which (if implemented right) will encourage more people to contribute cameras and will make the the database even better.

I think the contribution model will require a little tweaking though - what about editing of existing cameras, either to add or change speed limits, or to adjust the locations. It seems reasonable (and desirable) that contributors are encouraged to edit these. However, this brings it's own issues:

Clearly an edit isn't as valuable as a new camera. Perhaps you could have something like 4 edits gives you a free month or an edit is an extra week (depending on how you administer the subscription periods).

Also - there is clearly a lot of difference between editing a camera location where the camera is 50 or 100 metres down the road (worse if it's towards you so that you are warned late) or tweaking the location by a few metres. It is obviously harder to verify the accuracy of such data.

Another issue that comes to mind is that of "who is first" with new cameras? If you keep a monthly update schedule, then what if two people contribute a new camera in the same month - do you go for the first contribution to arrive, or give both people the free month?

A few more issues to iron out. In any case I think you probably have to be very clear and somewhere along the line have to weigh up simplicity over admin burden.

My view is that the more incentives you can give people to keep the database up to date the better.

Good luck
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure at the moment whether I'll take the annual sub or update every 3 months. Before choosing to pay for and download an update will there be information stating how many cameras have been added and removed? It would be ideal if this information could be listed by county in a table so people can make an informed decision as to whether they really need to update.

Also, can you elaborate on how the free months will work after you submit a camera location. Will you get some sort of credit voucher added?
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help having a laugh. Having digested the proposals or whatever you would like to call them for the incentive/reward scheme, what seems ok theorectically will be a nightmare practically.
Look at leemcg's post this mentions just one persons ideas, oh dear, can you imagine trying to administer just two of lee's points.What you set out to minimise i.e time consumed running database, will become an endless mire of who is entitled to what, when and if and how!!. A LOT OF TIME.
Also can't help thinking the incentives have been orchestrated to accumalate as many updates as possible as quickly as possible, wonder why that could be. Is it so all the staff can hit the road on Jan 1st to go and check them all... from the comfort of their loungeroom computer desk.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been suggested, we have decided to extend the deadline for submissions to midnight tonight.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtomgo wrote:
Can't help having a laugh. Having digested the proposals or whatever you would like to call them for the incentive/reward scheme, what seems ok theorectically will be a nightmare practically.
Look at leemcg's post this mentions just one persons ideas, oh dear, can you imagine trying to administer just two of lee's points.What you set out to minimise i.e time consumed running database, will become an endless mire of who is entitled to what, when and if and how!!. A LOT OF TIME.
Also can't help thinking the incentives have been orchestrated to accumalate as many updates as possible as quickly as possible, wonder why that could be. Is it so all the staff can hit the road on Jan 1st to go and check them all... from the comfort of their loungeroom computer desk.

And your contributions are clearly intended to rubbish us and as such deserve no more time.

You have stated your intention to go elsewhere, I wish you luck there. We however will continue.
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK PGPSW,you've satisfied me with the (Final?) arrangements.
I like the monthly/annual option.
I like the choice of payment methods.
I like the reward scheme to encourage submissions.

I do not envy your workload in the next couple of months sorting out who's entitled to what for why! I suspect it's going to take that long to get the new site working stabily!

A point brought up by somebody else I too would like to see is to add a message to each update stating how many amendments have been made to that update. I shall be subscribing annually so it won't be of concern to me but could be helpful to those wishing to subscribe on a monthly basis.

Two final questions - you say there will be a final free update - when will it be available? - and related to that, when will the first chargeable update be available?

Good luck to you all in your new endeavours!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We anticipate the final update being January with the charge commencing in February.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[desk.[/quote]
And your contributions are clearly intended to rubbish us and as such deserve no more time.

You have stated your intention to go elsewhere, I wish you luck there. We however will continue.[/quote]

Wrong again i'm afraid, i am not trying to rubbish you at all.
As i said i may not agree with your submissions, why should i?. But i do wish you all well. As for continueing i'm have no doubt you will, on the back of every members work and money.
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Team have listened to all our concerns and have produced a package that is well within the remit they were presented with.

To pick over the package is in noone's interest . . . there will of course be teething issues but with a bit of goodwill I am sure they will be resolved.

As far as we are concerned the strength of this website has been the generosity of spirit of the members and the staff and I believe that the package outlined will not stand in the way of the ethos of this website.

Buffy :0)
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Galvanised into action Reply with quote

cherryton wrote:
Well I have at last sent in 3 of the 7 odd cameras (fixed and Mobile) that are not on the database.
Scotland does appear to be a bit under-represented at present.

Can you give me a rough idea where these cameras are? I thought that most of the cameras , at least in the South (up as far as Stirling), were recorded.

cherryton wrote:
As a point of interest there are now quite a few Cameras 'up here' that are no longer in operation, but are still on the database (2 on the A92 that I know of at least). How do I go about getting these removed so as to improve the accuracy for everyone.

As has already been suggested, use POICapture, BUT, are these Gatso that have been removed or Mobile Locations where you haven't seen a car/van for a while?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 4 of 44

Jump to: