Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So, what ya got ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So, what ya got ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jelster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: So, what ya got ? Reply with quote

I currently have an ICN510 which I have used on the bike, but am looking for something a lot more bike orientated (but that Rider thing looks awful IMHO). Couple of mates have the Quest, so I may wait to look at the new Quest II.

Thing is, I'd like to be able to use my 1Gb SD card, but I don't think the Quest will take it. So, I'll be interested in knowing what you specifically have for bike use, and why.

Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Geodesy for accident black spots, the garmin will log and download to MS Autoroute and the P910 with TT5 will be tested in a tankbag this weekend on the way to Brands for BSB. Ended up with this because it was the best bits of kit at the time!
scoobyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Quest with a RAM Mount and Garmin's bike kit hard wired to the bike. I think it's a great little unit, but would like the option of having camera warnings instead of just the overlay map.
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Jelster I know what you mean about the Rider headset but it works well for me (looks OK in black), or did you mean the Tomtom Rider Question

I have the following setup:

iPaq hx4700
Tomtom 5.1 (tweaked to give 2 verbal warnings for speed traps etc)
Scala Rider Headset
Fortuna BT Clipon (under the seat)
Otterbox 1900 Case
RAM mounting

Last edited by Noony on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Garmin i3, stuffed in a tank bag on an SV650. Bit rough and ready but it does the job, and it's cheap. Voice commands turned off so far and battery life sucks, though that's with alkaline batteries - got some high power rechargeables on order and that ought to give a bit better life.
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin Quest with Garmin bike mount and RAM u-bolt arm on my Max trike (pics at http://www.oldcolo.com/~bradley/trike/) connected to the bike battery for power and to my Autocom for audio.

Anyone had problems with the audio levels from Quest into the Autocom? When I first used the 2 together I simply plugged the Quest into the "phone" socket and it worked, although it was a little noisy as I didn't have a ground loop surpressor and both units are powered off battery. I later bough Audiocom's red/black isolated splitter box but with that in use the Quest seems a lot quieter - so much so that I can't hear it over my MP3 player at all....

Anyone know a cheap source of shielded and/or isolated 3.5mm leads? Autocom etc want 25-30 quid for leads that should cost a lot less....
XJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I use a Quest which I run through my Autocom on my XJR.
Crackin' bit of kit.....bought it for a tour to Slovakia in July and wouldn't be without it now 8)
Simmy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an old gsxr 600 but never thought about GPS as my road map has always be fine for me, dont like to carry much on my bike.
BigAd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a HP Ipaq 2210 with extended battery 16 hours solid riding Smile
Otterbox 3600 with Ram Mount
Globalsat BT 338 Sirf III Bluetooth GPS

This has done me for various trips with no wires its very easy to remove and completely watertight. I considered the bluetooth heaset but saving my pennies for a full autocom.
MikeOnABike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started using the Medion PNA 968000. Handlebar mount, cigarette socket under the seat. Not sure how it will live up to the vibrations and the weather - I have a ready supply of sandwich bags but they don't fend off the cold! On it's very first outing I lost the end of the stylus... of all the things that could come loose!

I'm using "over the ear" type 'phones at the moment but I'd love to work out a bluetooth solution and stick something like the scala rider in my lid.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TomTom RIDER and I'm not sure what the concerns are with its headset. It looks OK to me.
Keba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Rider - about to get an Autocom installed in the near future as well as the bluetooth speaker combo that comes with the Rider isn't loud enough at speeds over around 55 mph if you wear earplugs (I do obviously).

I'm in contact with Autocom, and they expect to have a solution for connecting the Rider to their system sometime next week - they are trying out the already existing Nokia Bluetooth Car Kit which they can connect to in addition to the Rider bluetooth dongle as a connectivity option, so it will be interesting to see if the former will work or not.

I'm already asking TomTom themselves about how to have the full menu whilst riding available (currently it goes to a dummy 4 button menu instead when moving) and hope that they will either tell me how to stop the dummy menu or at least do a new revision that gives it as an option rather than a required 'feature'...
pharmamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Medion PNA175 on a Pan European. The PNA175 comes with a bicycle handlebar mounting kit, which I cannibalised so I could screw the mounting plate onto the plastic panel in the centre of the bars. Power comes from a cigar lighter socked installed in the left fairing pocket and sound goes into my rider-passenger comms system which uses in-helmet speakers. PNA175 also comes with a rainproof case for bicycle use, so that helps keep the weather off, not that much gets near it anyway because of the fairing.

Works really well and is transferrable into my car - not all Volvo drivers are biker unfriendly! Or is that the other way round since I do most miles on the bike.

Mike
chrisdhall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitac Mio 168 and Navigon 4.2 on my ZX12R

which I can swap to my Ducati 998

Redeye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2610 linked to Autocom fitted to Ram mount on Helibars on the Pan.

Was going to wait for a Rider - glad I didn't. 2610 was cheaper and is waterproof. Disappointed that TomTom don't give out proper specs on Rider. Gets a so-so review here - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/tomtom-rider/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: