Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PocketGPSTeam
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

Thank you for all your comments in regards to charging for the speed camera database. We hope you had a restful Christmas - we didn't ;o)) The debate was a little noisy at times and unfortunately we found it necessary to delete several posts. These included any posts of a personal nature or blatant advertising.

As promised, we have digested your comments and have decided to implement the following model as a result of your feedback.

2 levels of site subscription; monthly (£2) and yearly (£19).

There will be Free Lifetime membership for those who have already contributed to the original speed camera database.
We have records of submissions, but will require some basic information from you to match you with our records, such as username and the email address you used to make your submission(s).

Subscribing to the site will have many benefits. As a registered member you will receive:
    * Unlimited free individual licence downloads during subscription period to the PocketGPSWorld.com UK Speed Camera Database (widely regarded as the best by SatNav users and industry alike).
    * Free draws for GPS equipment.
    * Subscription extended free for one month if you report just one previously unreported static speed camera position. Multiple cameras = multiple free months. (Must consequently be verified by PocketGPSWorld.com.)
    * Subscription extended free for one month if you report just one previously unreported deleted static speed camera position. Multiple cameras = multiple free months.(Must consequently be verified by PocketGPSWorld.com.)
    * Free Speed Camera Recording software for both TomTom GO (Version 5 and above) and TomTom Navigator (Version 5 and above).
    * Retailer discounts (one discount could quite easily cover your subscription charge).
    * The ability to ask questions/seek support on ALL GPS forums.
In addition we hope to create additional applications that will simplify the download and installation of the database across as many GPS hardware platforms as possible and create dedicated downloads for each device type.

Proposed member forums:
    Dedicated Speed Camera Support Forum.
    'Behind the Veil' - New supporter area forums planned for a 'quieter', more reflective atmosphere.
    Facts, Opinions, Secrets and Lies? The UK Speed Camera Debate Forum.
    Free GPS Related Classified Ad Forum.
With the exception of the member area forums, free access to read and post at both new and existing forums will continue. A speed camera forum will also continue for new and existing posts in the free area as usual.

In the interest of transparency, we currently have a system in place where we can easily identify copied versions of the speed camera database and, in future, all individual member downloads and batches of the speed camera database can be identified to a particular member.

We propose to charge using PayPal, credit cards and debit cards. You can also pay by cheque (we are able to accept cheques from all countries), postal order or money order (US funds). We will also be looking at other possible systems.

We are very confident that many of you will still send in cameras; in fact we are still receiving them regularly - thank you. Not only will the database survive and continue to improve (through both your effort and ours), but also the community will carry on going from strength to strength.

We remain 100% committed to the database and it will always be a very important part of what we do and we strongly believe that this area will continue to grow.
conroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

PocketGPSTeam wrote:

PocketGPSTeam wrote:

Subscribing to the database will have many has benefits. As a registered member you will receive:

Darren, not being picky, but could you clarify. Is the sub for the site, or the database.

Thanks.

Dec
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

conroyd wrote:
Darren, not being picky, but could you clarify. Is the sub for the site, or the database.

For the database and the accompanying new 'Members' section.

Last edited by Darren on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

PocketGPSTeam wrote:
implement the following model as a result of your feedback.

There will be Free Lifetime membership for those who have already contributed to the original speed camera database.
We have records of submissions, but will require some basic information from you to match you with our records, such as username and the email address you used to make your submission(s).

Would this include members who have submitted 1 camera. Wouldn't it be more fare to give free lifetime membership to those who have AREADY posted, and any new comers pay the new charge.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:
Would this include members who have submitted 1 camera. Wouldn't it be more fare to give free lifetime membership to those who have AREADY posted, and any new comers pay the new charge.

This is for anyone who has submitted data to the database, be it one camera or regular submissions and will be include ALL submissions until midnight tonight.

There will be a further free database release prior to the charge being implemented.

Last edited by Darren on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So could the 'monthly' sub just be paid as and when the database is needed to be updated?
I like many others here only requie the odd updates. I normally only travel 6 miles to work, but 2 or 3 times a year travel a lot further.
I may only have the requirement to update on that frequency.

I hope there has been allowance for this?

Cheers

Sparky
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyweb wrote:
So could the 'monthly' sub just be paid as and when the database is needed to be updated?
I like many others here only requie the odd updates. I normally only travel 6 miles to work, but 2 or 3 times a year travel a lot further.
I may only have the requirement to update on that frequency.

I hope there has been allowance for this?

Cheers

Sparky

Absolutely, for those who require only 1,2 or 3 updates a year then they may download at £2 per download as and when they wish. For annual subscribers there is in effect a 20% discount but you will still be able to access the member area if your subscription is active.

i.e. If you pay for an annual sub you get 12mths access to the database and members area. if you pay for a single download your access is restricted to one month only.
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification.

Sparky
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about those who have two or three different brands of satnav, as some people have indicated they have, does that mean 3 subscriptions.
How many times can a person download on the monthly sub, as in if it goes tits up whilst downloading can they access the download again.
What if they sell their equipment, do they then have to fight with you guys to get the sub transferred and more importantly does the new buyer get it for free if it is locked to a specific unit.
These points spring to mind without too much delving, and you thought the database took up your time now!!!.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will whole-heartedly support this charge if:

1) The incentive for people to submit data continues indefinitely as this is the only guarantee that the database will remain fairly accurate.

2) A firm commitment is given that this charge won't rise with time and that other costs are covered through different venues.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
This is for anyone who has submitted data to the database, be it one camera or regular submissions and will be include ALL submissions until midnight tonight.

Thanks, where do we send in details, or will that come later?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtomgo wrote:
What about those who have two or three different brands of satnav, as some people have indicated they have, does that mean 3 subscriptions.
How many times can a person download on the monthly sub, as in if it goes tits up whilst downloading can they access the download again.
What if they sell their equipment, do they then have to fight with you guys to get the sub transferred and more importantly does the new buyer get it for free if it is locked to a specific unit.
These points spring to mind without too much delving, and you thought the database took up your time now!!!.

You will have access to the database in any format it becomes available in during an active subscription period, you will not be limited to one i.e. ov2 or .csv etc.

During the sub period you can download as many times as you choose to.

Any sub will remain with the original user, it will not be transferrable.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Will whole-heartedly support this charge if:

1) The incentive for people to submit data continues indefinitely as this is the only guarantee that the database will remain fairly accurate.

2) A firm commitment is given that this charge won't rise with time and that other costs are covered through different venues.

Naturally it is in our interest to retain users and contributors.

With the release of apps such as POICapture we have already seen a rise in submissions, the implementation of an on-line submission system is very nearly ready and this too will simpligy the reporting process.

We have many other irons in the fire too!

Last edited by Darren on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:
Thanks, where do we send in details, or will that come later?

We'll announce this in the early part of Jan in sufficient time to ensure all those eligible are registered prior to the charge commencing.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

You will have access to the database in any format it becomes available in during an active subscription period, you will not be limited to one i.e. ov2 or .csv etc.

During the sub period you can download as many times as you choose to.

Any sub will remain with the original user, it will not be transferrable.

Thanks Darren, but i still see problems here with issues of ... well you know, i dont want to go into it on here but i'm sure you get the gist.
Well good luck guys, you have made your choice, i do sincerely wish you all the best with it, i dont agree with it but, hey thats life.
Personally i can live without the posts, help, if needed i can get from the same guys here on other forums, the database i will get elsewhere , no not your one!! so at present, i dont feel the need to be joining up, but you know the saying never say never.
And yes i have submitted under my old username so could get it for niks' but thats not the issue.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 1 of 44

Jump to: