Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which software for a T3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which software for a T3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aireq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Which software for a T3? Reply with quote

I have a T3 and am looking into getting it setup to do GPS navigation. The features and interface of the software is the most important to me thus I've compiled a list of what I think are the best applications out there for palm.

Company Program
DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2006 Handheld Edition
Navman smartST/ NavMan
EMTAC EMTAC Navigator Palm OS Software
Tom Tom TomTom
Mapopolis Mapopolis

I've played with Mapopolis, but it was the only one that I found had a demo. There are pretty in depth reviews of Navman and Tom Tom on this website which I need to spend some more time going over, but has anyone had any experience with EMTAC or Street Atlas? Is there anything else that should be on my list? I'd like to make sure I have a comprehensive list before I start doing a lot of comparing.

Some of the features that are important to me are:

*Automatic Rerouting
*Detailed and regularly updated POI database
*the ability to search for a location by catagory and distance from current position (thus search for the nearest gas station/grocery store/restraunt) etc ..
*Ability to link to and route to addresses in my palm address book.
*Find the optimal route to take to get to multiple places. IE give it a start and end destination, and a number of intermediate destinations and it figures out the best way to get to all of them. (do any Palm programs do this?)

Thanks,

Eric
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi aireq, welcome to PGPSW!

I can only speak for Tomtom - it does all you want except optimal routing (I suspect you'll find that there are few quality/polished navigation products available for the Palm that do optimal routing at the moment).

POI databases are really down to you rather than your software - they are only as good as the source you obtain them from, the frequency with which that source updates then (and the frequency with which you download the updates).

I have had very few problems with my trusty T3 and Tomtom. The old Tomtom GPS receiver (MkI) was a bit flaky, but I now have a Holux GPSlim 236 and it works brilliantly.

Tomtom is not perfect - you will figure that out from reading these forums - but overall it fulfills my needs.

Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only a decision between TomTom (ease of use) and Mapopolis (features) - everything else is just pathetic and not worth looking at.

Mapopolis supports route optimization, but unfortunately only on the Pocket PC/Smartphone client, not on the Palm.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: