Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Questions that need answering from the pocketgpsworld te Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

All I ask now is some calm reflection, nothing is about to change imminently, January's database will be released as normal .

Oh really? Thats not what was said (or implied) when the original post was made:

"Mike proposes to change his job in January 2006. To coincide with this, the charge for the download will also be initiated in January."

Did we misread the message, or is it in a different language?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We proposed to implement this in January but there are a number of things that need to be done before we do so, the arrangments for payment etc will not be in place in time and so the earliest we will implement the proposal is February.
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Questions that need answering from the pocketgpsworld te Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I was not suggesting that every post from a first time poster should be immediately disregarded but we have made some checks of posters against contributions (I'm talking camera submissions here as clearly first time posters have not contributed in the other forums threads) and only a handful can be matched to a camera submission.

there's no way you could know how many I've submitted because I've used 3 different email addresses... gmail, redx and mumsaway
it's actually 25, but I already said that :D

Darren wrote:

We are looking at systems that will reward contributors of valid data, subscriptions etc but it's early days.

that's better news, although it does mean I'll be holding off submitting more cameras until then

Garmin Zumo 390LM
conroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The facts and figures presented by the posters on this thread have been called into question, yet the moderators have not provided any substantiating facts or figures regarding their survey at the last PGPSW event.

The relevance of the opinions expressed in this thread have been called into question on the basis that the those in not favour will most likely speak out, yet it also holds that only the most dedicated members would attend a PGPSW event.

The fact that 250 people does not represent 88% of the forum members apparently negates the ONLY poll that has been condicted so far, yet the poll results in favour of the charge, alos a number in the low hundreds is readily accepted as an indication of support.

Aren't these double standards ?
CarMad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to take objection from a personal point of view about people who have been a first time poster.

I have been hovering on this site now for almost 2 years and have entered camera sites via my Dad not myself. Trying to discredit people who have posted for the first time is only symptomatic of the way you have gone about announcing your intentions. Poorly at best.

I'm a member of another car site that gets in excess of 20Million hits a month and has over 12k users. When any questions where asked relating to Sat-Nav or GPS in general I have always pointed them to this site on the understanding it was being run in the same non profit way as our own. Many have used and subsequently become members of this site as a result so I have been assisting in helping to grow this site and have also reported camera sites. I most certainly won’t be doing this in the future if the charging for POIs begins.

I have posted what is going on on that site and the response is exactly the same as here disgust at what is being done. But at least they have come up with alternatives that are both as accurate but cheaper if you continue to go down the path of a charging.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, You state that you are not PR Guru's. So far you do not even seem to have a clue on being good business men by the way you treat the PDPSW Community be it that they are your supporters and first line customers.
Very selective about what your reply to as well!!!
Let me suggest that all registered forum memebers get free access to pay site for 1st year and any one else has to pay up. I would still make a donation per update
At least you would be being open and above board, and probably still get the help of most that have supported your start up.
conroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A POLL Reply with quote

COULD POCKETGSWORLD PLEASE ORGANISE A POLL, AND SEE WHAT THE ACTUAL FEELING AMONG FORUM MEMEBRS IS

And let's not hide behind statistics. Lets put the issue to poll, and accept that if people can't be bothered to vote, then for the purpose of the results they don't count.

Let's not have any "silent supporting majority" theories...
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Indeed. We have a problem with subscriptions via Credit/Debit card as for reasons I don't claim to understand, the Merchant Service providers do not like these for charge back/risk reasons.

However this is possible with PayPal. I would much prefer the annual option and we will push to offer this.

Thats great and thanks for taking the time to respond Darren, the £2 per download would not stop me downloading the database it's just the annual subscription would be a lot more convenient.
Paul
beegeeeye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would support a charge of £2 per download if the system would support automatic syncing with my medion PDA instead of the roundabout way I have to do it at the moment.
Ambers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Free Reply with quote

a lot of people use this site becuase it's free and a sharing of info, i suspect when a charge is involved, another similar site will appear and peeps will move over and contribute there knowledge there.

think about making it a donation site, i'm sure plenty will contribute without you losing there membership to another forum ?.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Money Issues Reply with quote

If it hasn't already been mentioned in the previous pages, why not approach The Dragons Den (BBC 2) for help. I'm sure the likes of Duncan Bannatyne would enjoy asking all the relevant business questions.
henth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis is the first time I have replied to any forum on this site, but I have been a member for quite a few years and have found the site to be very helpful and informative.

I have been reading the question as to whether the speed camera database should remain free for a subscrption be paid

As I see it the biggest problem is that if it becomes fee based (Which it will I have no doubt after all the decison has been made) then the quality of the information will degrade over time, due to the fact that people will stop sending in camera locations

I would agree that a poll should be held by the 'owners' just so they can gage the actual feeling of the members.

It will be a sad day should this excellent site fold due to lack of interest and members
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple solution to this would be to just stop doing it and give it to the members (who for the best part, put it together anyway)
That way, your precious bandwidth and time are not affected.
The only thing is you wont get the huge wad in the back pocket but hey, that's never been the reason, so that shouldn't worry you anyway.
Was Richard ever asked if he would like to be paid for his time and effoerts upto now.
It seems the PGPSW school of excellence in man management has kicked him into touch. Richard himself has hinted that it was getting a bit muchbut as said previously was he ever given an option.
Lastly to all the people who think we are a community, perhaps we were, it seems we were only ever viewed as a tool to make money.
IF PGPSW had put this database together and wanted to charge for it then i would have no problem whatsoever but this was done by the members for the members, a member collated it, then PGPSW host it.
So again if it is getting to be a problem, pass it back to the members who i am sure will embrace it and take it forward in the spirit it was intended.
DaveO1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

We received the following bit of feedback on POICapture from an attendee of The PocketGPSWorld.com Event held in November: "The only problem I had was not being able to find any new speed cameras on the run home 330 miles (ish) and every camera I passed was spot on which also speaks highly of the quality data the site provides – So I never got to try the new application – I am sure it will be used over the coming weeks."

In fact this gentleman could have used the application as we are now encouraging everyone to also report every existing camera (it is very easy to use) so we can repeatedly confirm locations. We hope also to be able to professionally develop even further systems to verify every UK camera location ensuring data accuracy as near to 100% as possible. We foresee us covering other European countries in the future as well.

The feedback received suggests to me there is no need to "professionalise" the database at all. It would appear it is already more than up to the job.

In effect the current model of users proving their updates to the data base, no charge, an "amateur" site without any permenant staff has worked to such a degree the speed camera database is good enough.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto and I can't see a need for this change.

How much will users get paid for providing their updates in future if to does go "professional"? 10p a click?

Dave
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to reiterate my previous post.

The PGPSW site isn't only about the Database. I still think it would be more acceptable for the bulk of the site to be subsciption rather than just the Database. I personally prefer a site supported entirely by subscriptions and not have the perceived influence of 'sponsors'.

Also, if the RAW camera data was made available free of charge to those who contributed to it, you would immediatly get rid of the majority of objections posted here, and still have the ability to make the refined and enhanced databases a chargable asset.

BTW, although I have on the odd occasion felt critical of some actions/comments of mods, I would need paying (a lot!) to put up with some of the reasoned, thoughtful and constructive comments posted here :D

Malcolm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 31 of 60

Jump to: